• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wpdrebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
southeastern U.S.A.
what can i have done or do my self to my rifle that would make my gun more accurate? i have a rem 5-r leupold mark 4 mount, rings, and scope 4.5-14. everything is stock except for the trigger. i had it adjusted to around 2.5 lbs. the rifle is accurate as is but i want more if possible. i eventually will get a new stock but was wondering if having it bedded would be worth it? the stock is pillar bedded now. i am just looking for some options at this point. i can shoot but not work on guns well. the rifle will be used for law enforcement sniper detail. just trying to get all i can out of it, not that i am outshooting it by any means, just want all the help i can get. thanks for any good advice.

Re: advice

oh yeah i am also trying to keep funds down as much as i can. a 4 year old and 5 week old baby eats a lot of my small cop salary up. thanks.

If you're not reloading that would be my first suggestion. Although it is a bit of a waiting game for some of those components.

How accurate is your rifle now?

i'd say...not a whole lot. My stock Rem. sps shot around .75 moa with factory ammo.
I'd recomend upgrading the stock to something with alum. block. You can find a used B&C possibly. You could get the action trued up for as little as $2-300 most places. lapping the bore a little maybe? The biggest thing you could possibly do, I think, would be to hand load for that rifle, however i understand you might be under certain stipulations and have to use factory. That's what I'd do short of going crazy with new rings, bases or custom Bbl if I were in your shoes.

jmho

You might want to speak to your department's legal team. To alter a weapon used in law enforcement shooting in some cases is asking for a lawsuit as thick as a metropolotin phone book. I'm not saying it can't be done. But you need to be sure what your local LEGAL means are.

From what you have discribed, trigger time would be a main concern of mine, were I in your shoes.

Good luck.

reloads are forbidden which i dont anyway and i am getting some shooting time in and trying to dry fire as well when i cant shoot. the rifle is new, around 90 rounds (i keep a data book but its not in front of me.) and since it is my rifle i am ok legal wise. if were the pds it might be a problem. i live/work in a small town so everything is kind of laid back.

in your situation, i think the best way to make it more accurate by yourself is by shooting it more often.

Trigger time. Even though you think everything is going to be OK to mod. the rifle, get it in writing from the legal team first.

Floating the barrel and bedding the action are both cheap, easy things that you can do with a dremel tool, personal time and about $5 in glass filled resin.

If it's your personal rifle then why no reloads? That statement makes me wary of what they'd do should you make changes to the rifle and have to defend your actions in a "shoot" scenario reveiw board.

Again, get anything like that in writing. Strictly stipulate "I want to remove the factory barrel and replace it with a custom barrel and custom cut chamber to increase accuracy. The barrel will be XXX brand, the gunsmith that will perform the work will be XXXXXX, the rifle will still be chambered in 308 Winchester. The twist will be 1:x, barrel length will be ...."

You get the idea. Anything that a civil slimeball attorney can try to go after you for they'll do it. If the PD gives a detailed permission of the changes made then it's the PD's responsibility not yours.

i was taught not to use reloads while in sniper school. the instructors said it open the door for lawsuits. if anything went wrong we would get torn apart, and forced to make more loads like what was used. if ANY little thing was different then we would be personally libel. if we use factory ammo its falls on the company, not us.

i am thinking of getting a b&c medalist varminter stock do yall think that would help any. if so would it need to be bedded? i know it has full length aluminum bedding but would it need any extra?

For personal practice then why not reload to save money? Just don't use reloads on the job, get the ammo you're going to shoot in a job situation and use some of it so it's not a new beast.

The sniper school instructors are right, you could easily be accused of making a "more deadly" round. This is why I carry Winchester Silver Tip personal defense for my 10mm auto rather than the super duty XTP loads that are capable. I don't want some bitchass lawyer trying to convince a jury that I killed the BG too much.

I have no experience with those stocks, I just hear about them being good quality. I'm sure someone else can help you on that route.

I still think it would be a good idea to get written permission from the PD Legal team before making any changes to the weapon.

Primary accuracy is from the locking lugs on the bolt to the crown of the muzzle and the ammo that's being used. A good stock might help you more, but a properly supported action doesn't care what the shape of the comb is.

thanks for the help. i dont have any reloading equip, and my pd buys my ammo to train with (so far). if anyone else has any ideas i am all ears.

i have a buddy that reloads, he gets them. sorry. although, he has not done anything with the last 6 or 7 boxes i gave him, so you never know.