• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise needed on a 556 suppressed build

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I need a little help on a project...

I want to build a dedicated suppressor AR. I'm looking for a utility / hard use set up. I'm not sure I want to go down the SBR path so I'm leaning towards a 13.7 or 13.9 barrel length. I'll be using a Energetic Arms Vox S (308) can and would like to be able switch between 55 grain and 77 grain rounds without it changing the functional operation of the rifle. I don't know if pushing the gas system length to an intermediate will be of any benefit or not. If an intermediate gas system would be beneficial, can a chrome lined barrel be cut back without damaging the lining?

I don't know if an adjustable gas block, like PWS uses on their piston guns, exist for a DI application. But I like the idea of being able to switch between a few settings easily. I don't know if the suppressed gas system will behave differently using 55 grain & 77 grain ammo. Maybe it's a solution to a non-existant problem.

I'm not sure where to start on buffers and springs either.

If I do decide to go the SBR route, I would go 10.3 or 10.5 - same question on the gas block.

Thanks in advance.

12.5-13.5 is the sweet spot for velocity/maneuverability. The 10 inch guns are really cool until you have to go outside and take a 200yard plus shot.

Guys like Larry Vickers consider them 200y and in Guns.

I need a little help on a project...

I want to build a dedicated suppressor AR. I'm looking for a utility / hard use set up. I'm not sure I want to go down the SBR path so I'm leaning towards a 13.7 or 13.9 barrel length. I'll be using a Energetic Arms Vox S (308) can and would like to be able switch between 55 grain and 77 grain rounds without it changing the functional operation of the rifle. I don't know if pushing the gas system length to an intermediate will be of any benefit or not. If an intermediate gas system would be beneficial, can a chrome lined barrel be cut back without damaging the lining?

I don't know if an adjustable gas block, like PWS uses on their piston guns, exist for a DI application. But I like the idea of being able to switch between a few settings easily. I don't know if the suppressed gas system will behave differently using 55 grain & 77 grain ammo. Maybe it's a solution to a non-existant problem.

I'm not sure where to start on buffers and springs either.

If I do decide to go the SBR route, I would go 10.3 or 10.5 - same question on the gas block.

Thanks in advance.
I’d recommend checking out www.pewscience.com and doing some reading. Overall though, I’d look at a properly sized gas port and gas length system. Then look at the buffer system (Vltor A5 at minimum), then an adjustable gas block, then maybe a specific BCG such as a Surefire OBC. All in that order. You should be able to get the results you’re after once you consider those different components.

At the barrel length you’re looking at, consider a mid-length or even intermediate length gas system. I definitely would not look at carbine gassed systems unless you’re below 11.5”.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I’d recommend checking out www.pewscience.com and doing some reading. Overall though, I’d look at a properly sized gas port and gas length system. Then look at the buffer system (Vltor A5 at minimum), then an adjustable gas block, then maybe a specific BCG such as a Surefire OBC. All in that order. You should be able to get the results you’re after once you consider those different components.

At the barrel length you’re looking at, consider a mid-length or even intermediate length gas system. I definitely would not look at carbine gassed systems unless you’re below 11.5”.

Thanks for the link and point in the right direction.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Definitely go mid or intermediate length gas system. I am not aware of any muzzle device that would allow someone to pin and weld a 13.7" barrel and still hit the magic 16" length but I am all ears if it's possible.

Definitely go mid or intermediate length gas system. I am not aware of any muzzle device that would allow someone to pin and weld a 13.7" barrel and still hit the magic 16" length but I am all ears if it's possible.
This is what I based that on:

13.9” would be a just in case this shit isn’t correct length

Reactions: tex68w
Don't do a carbine gas. That's the only thing I don't like about my pistol. It's a shorter barrel and it's not for shooting far out but it really limits you on barrels and such, and is not smart if you have a barrel that 12 of 13 ect, go mid

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
This is what I based that on:

13.9” would be a just in case this shit isn’t correct length

Jesus that thing is long lol. 13.7" is the new Hot Boy flavor barrel length. I am not gonna lie, I will likely be picking up a KAC KS1 when they come out.

Jesus that thing is long lol. 13.7" is the new Hot Boy flavor barrel length. I am not gonna lie, I will likely be picking up a KAC KS1 when they come out.
[/QUOTE

Agreed…on both counts. I don’t if an intermediate gas system is of any benefit on that length or not.

I am not aware of any muzzle device that would allow someone to pin and weld a 13.7" barrel and still hit the magic 16" length but I am all ears if it's possible.
There's plenty out there if you like big obnoxious competition style brakes.