• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advise needed

raschiller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Hello, brand new to the forum. I would like to solicit some advice from the experts here at sniper's hide.

I'm not new to shooting, been a hunter for 20 yrs. I am new to long range shooting and long range hunting. I'm in the process of purchasing an LTR in 308 for hunting and some long range shooting (not competitive). My initial thoughts were to get a mark 4 3.5-10x m2 or m3. Seems the m3 is a bit cheaper. I was also thinking about getting Leupold Mark4 rings and one piece (20MOA) base. What are your thoughts? Any other ideas or recommendations?

Also, what method are long range shooters using to adjust to different ranges? TMR or mil dot values with hold over? Or making adjustments with the M1,2 or 3 knobs?

Finally, your thoughts on TMR vs mil dots.

A lot of Q's, but I appreciate any and all input you all have!

Re: Advise needed

Welcome to the hide.

My suggestion, learn about the benefits of a mil adjust scope when using a mil type reticle.

Take a look here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

I can't find the article from LL on using the reticle right now due to the changes on the homepage. In your budget range though, look through the first couple pages of the optics section for the post from SWFA about taking preorders for the Vortex Viper PST. Mil reticle, mil knobs, illuminated, zero stop and more for under $900. Available in a couple of months.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, what method are long range shooters using to adjust to different ranges? TMR or mil dot values with hold over? Or making adjustments with the M1,2 or 3 knobs?</span>

Answer, both. I will often dial for distance, and then use the horizontal crosshairs (mil marks) for windage. If you are engaging multiple targets at varying distances, you may not have time do dial for elevation every shot, so you may use hold overs/unders using the reticle. If you have all the time in the world to make a shot, dial it.

BTW, I am only an expert in my own world, opinions vary on the subject....

Kirk R

What are some reputable manufacturers in the neighborhood of 3.5-10x with mil/mil or moa/moa for a grand or less?