• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

advise on chrono

allen200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
im looking to get a chrono for load development. any advice or experiances would be appreciated. are there any particular ones to stay away from??

im looking to get a chrono for load development. any advice or experiances would be appreciated. are there any particular ones to stay away from??

I opted for the MagnetoSpeed V2. I bought it recently, so I haven't tried it yet. However, I have read very good things about it and think I'll like it. I especially like the fact that it's not affected by light and can be attached/setup a lot quicker than other chronos.

35P is the finest chrono you can buy, it has a proof channel, every shot is "clocked" twice, thus you can ID erroneous readings, built right, built in Texas-you'll never regret having the best.

Magnetospeed....hands down. I've owned a Remington POS and a shooting Chrony ( too complicated and fussy)

Mile High was just running a group buy on Magnetospeeds, might still be in fact. I just purchased mine about 2 weeks ago, V2 version which is made for suppressor use. After using it I can't imagine how I ever did load development without one. Its finnicky though. The sensors HAVE to be placed correctly otherwise they wont pick up the fired round. If you've only loaded five rounds of each load and several shots don't register you might only get 1 or 2 shots that do register. After about 2 shots I check to re-tighten the strap and make sure everything is in alignment. I use cheap factory ammo to make sure it's registering properly, delete that string of shots and then use my hand loads in five shot strings.

We own both the oehler 35p aswell as the magneto V2. Both are acccurate and both have plus and min points. I have tested them both in the follwing setup; the 35p at 3m infront of the muzzle and the magneto attached to the barrel. After shooting about 50 shots with 5 rifles, the results were almost exactly the same. However, the results from the 35p were ofcourse a bit slower, due to the 3m distance, but when a bullit went slower, both chronos showed this, and if another one went faster, both showed the same amount of increase.

Next to that, the magneto has a big plus because it is not light sensitive due to it works with magnetism, so indoor shooting is no issue. If you need to shoot multiple rifles than it is a bit slower handling, because you need to remove and install the chrono from and to each rifle, with a stand-alone chrono like the 35p this is no problem, you just put another rifle behind it and start shooting, alot quicker.
But the 35p can not be installed everywhere. If your shooting ground is on a hill side or uneven terrain, you"ll have a hard time installing it. (It is not a big problem, just bring the chrono to your flat shooting range, but for some hunters who want or need to test their ammo in their hilly hunting field, it can be). The magneto since it attaches to your barrel, can be shot everywhere.

With light barreld rifles the weight of the magneto did show a little difference in poi. With heavy sniper barreled rifles, poi remained exactly the same.

The 35p cost almost 3 times the price of the magneto (or at least for us eurotrash this is a fact due to customs crap).

Other than that, if you just need a chrono for your self, i would suggest the magneto v2, cost less, more versatile and just as accurate as the 35p, which is considered by many as topnotch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Regardless of what chrono you wind up with, do NOT use it to try getting a muzzle velocity on a potato gun--it won't end well... Yes, to answer the question I know you're thinking, I'm speaking from personal experience on that matter... :p

I have a Magneto Speed and love it!!! I have the V1, but its a great chrono. If you learn about the custom trigger, you can weed out problems you may encounter with it registering every shot. A call to Magneto Speed will get you a quick, easy lesson on how it works. They are great people to deal with.

I've had an Oehler 35P for twenty plus years. Always works. I can count the total # of erroneous/non readings on about two fingers.

I'm on Chrony #2 as #1 got shot years back. I like the Chrony's for handload testing, especially when testing new pistol loads. SO EASY to simply set on the bench, send 4 or 5 loads through the uprights and get readings.
BUT with rifles I have had failures to read quite a bit with the Chrony's which at times is frustrating. Then again for under a hundred bucks.....a tremendous bargain.

The 35P is a very minor PITA to set up. At my home range I have the spots for the two tripods marked,and keep the tripod center section locked where the frt and rear is level and the proper height for my bench. Set up takes maybe 90 seconds and I'm ready to shoot through the crono and I'm centered on my 100 yd target butt.

BUT if you are alone and on uneven ground....it can be SEVERAL back and forths before it's set up level and you are aiming through the center at the target, etc. NOT a HUGE deal, but probably not as quick as the Magneto model.

NO experience w/the Magneto speed. Bright concept though for sure.

I'm planning on putting a new chronograph on my Christmas list. I like the concept of the Magneto Speed being a one-man operation without the hassle of aligning the device with the rifle and target. I'm concerned that mounting something on the barrel with change the harmonics defeating the purpose of load development. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I would have to say , it may depend on the rifle itself , on most of my rifles that I have chrono'd with the magnetospeed , it DOES change the poa/poi but the group sizes have stayed in the accuracy limits as best I can tell. I only have 2 rifles that haven't changed poa/poi .

what I have done is used the chrono to get within my velocity , then I will play around with seating depth until happy. then run a few strings of my tuned ammo again over the chrono to confirm my velocity avg.

Hey, does anyone use a Magnetospeed?

Seriously, I have a Shooting Chrony, and up here it only works on just so many days depending on weather, cloud formation, temperature and lighting. You gotta be damn Stanley Kubrick and God at the same damn time to make it work some days, and I wonder about the accuracy between shots considering how many errors and problems it has (even when it works, it doesn't work consistently). I guess they have a new special lighting attachment that costs as much or more than the chrono itself, but I'd get the Magnetospeed instead.

See, I've already shot and severed one of the Shooting Chrony screen rods, bending one and causing another to go flying and never to be found again. I replaced those with steel stock. I'd be pissed if I shot an expensive part or shot the support/screen rods from under it by mistake. You might think you won't hit it, but that's what I thought, and found instead that it's all too easy to do if your sights are off. It's also a pain in the ass to use since it has to be setup so far downrange on a tripod. One day I'll replace it, likely with that Magnetospeed.

Chrony: better than nothing, but barely.