• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise on new rig

aperdue

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
Humble, TX
Hi everyone, FNG here! I am looking to buy my first "precision" rig.

So, I have decided on .308win. I want something that I can shoot the heavier bullets with, eventually to shoot the subsonic stuff out of to use with suppresor. I want the versatility to be able to hunt with it as well. I do want a magazine eventually, but does not have to be right now.

The rifles I am considering are:
Remington SS 5r
Remington AAC-SD and upgrade the stock
Savage 10PC and possibly change stock
Savage 10FCP w/ HS stock

I have at Zeiss 4.5-14x50 conquest z1000 to slap on top. I am thinking Larue 20moa base and maybe badger rings? I am open to suggestions here. What do ya'll think?

Re: Advise on new rig

i would advise the savage 10 in hs or mcmillan they are 10 twists and great shooters right out of the box i would advise to save some money and get a egw base and seekins rings both aluminum will save some weight and money.

That is why Rem made the AAC-SD, it's 10 twist so that you can shoot heavy bullets at subsonic speeds and not have to worry about an unstabilized heavy bullet resulting in a baffle strike, yet you can still shoot 168's & 175's as full power loads.

Anything 10 twist would work for this application but I'd defer to getting the AAC-SD because if you want to move to a magazine fed rifle in the future there is more chassis/ stocks available at this time. (RACS, AICS, AX etc...). Plus the barrel comes pre-threaded that will save you some $.

Supposedly AI is making an AICS/AX (?) chassis to fit the Savage but I don't know when it will be out.

The 20" barrel on the AAC-SD would be easier to handle in the woods while hunting. You can always swap the original rubber Hogue stock back onto it if you are concerned with weight while hunting.

Also you'll have to match the Rapid-Z reticle to your bullet path. Supposedly it was designed for a 168 bullet at sea level so you want to be careful to not scoot your bullet TOO fast as you'll not line up to the reticle drops. (There are a couple of other options you can do if you are too fast but I consider them a bit goofy and defeats the reason to use this reticle. For me here in Denver shooting a 175 SMK handload at 2528 fps makes me use 14X (maxed out power) for my reticle to line up to match the bullet trajectory). I love my Zeiss 4-14 scope as it's like shooting fish in a barrel once you get the drop matched to the reticle power setting. Mostly I think the wind corrections are the best I've seen on any ballistic reticle. Very clear and easy to read while under pressure.

Anyone else want to give any input? I was hoping for more than 2 responses, not that I am discounting the advice I have already received whatsoever. As far as the Z1000, I mainly bought that particular model because I was able to get it from the factory with the target turrets. If I decide I don't like the reticle, I will have it replaced by Zeiss with one of their standard reticles. Will probably avoid the Mil-dot though since it is a SFP with MOA adjustments.

Also, I am kind of leaning toward the 10FCP w/ McMillan. Dammit, why does Savage have to offer all these options, my wallet is screaming. Does anyone know if I could send the stock to McMillan and have them add the thumb adjustable cheekpiece to it or does it have to come from the factory like that? Thanks

savage 10fcp in the hs or a5 stocks, and you can take the barrel off and have it cut down. maybe call the savage custom shop and see if you can get either of these cut down to 20" if you can or want to. also, for $50-$75 in simple tools, you can take off the savage barrel for any work you need done to it. i always wondered if the barreled action could be chucked up for shortening? but look closely at what you get with each rifle, how much a new stock is, the wait time to get it, installation if you cant do it -vs- buying a 10fcp in the A5 with factory DBM and being pretty much done

Id buy the one that's easiest to fit to me, the 5r or the rem tactical are cheap and your not sinking extra cash into a stock you may or may not like. Savages have a good rep as well, but if you don't like the stock that comes on em it'll be harder to sell the current stock that's on it to switch it out.

For the savage you could just pit a karsten on yourself.

You're choices are all good options

Never played with Zeiss glass bit I'm not a fan of BDC type rrticles

aperdue, i have read about others doing that. plus there is always loggerhead

Who or what is loggerhead, not really sure what you are talking about.

As for the stock, if I dont really like it, I really dont think I am going to have a hard time selling a Mcmillan stock. Besides, for a Savage w/ factory DBM, there really aren't a whole lot of stock options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aperdue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dammit, why does Savage have to offer all these options</div></div>

Go Remmy, they don't bother consumers with nearly as many of those pesky options...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supposedly AI is making an AICS/AX (?) chassis to fit the Savage but I don't know when it will be out.
</div></div>

I PM'd Stacey at AINA when I got wind of this and he replied that AI is trying to release the Savage chassis system in the 3rd qtr of this year.

Out of curiosity, What is the difference between the Savage 10 FCP and the 10 FP? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the FCP has the factory DBM. Can the FP work with the aftermarket DBM's like AICS and the like? I saw the XLR Evolution stock yesterday and that thing is sweet, and can be built to use the aftermarket mags. I wouldn't be hunting with the rifle very often, but if I were going to, I could just throw the factory stock back on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go Remmy, they don't bother consumers with nearly as many of those pesky options... </div></div>

or with pesky innovation either, lol. when you buy one rifle that suits you the options dont really matter. you just learn your rifles specs and go with it. but hats off to remy for keeping smiths in business. curses as well to savage for eliminating the need to even see a smith for any reason.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aperdue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, What is the difference between the Savage 10 FCP and the 10 FP? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the FCP has the factory DBM. Can the FP work with the aftermarket DBM's like AICS and the like? I saw the XLR Evolution stock yesterday and that thing is sweet, and can be built to use the aftermarket mags. I wouldn't be hunting with the rifle very often, but if I were going to, I could just throw the factory stock back on. </div></div>

why bother with the stock swap? there are plenty of after market options for the mags. CDI and even the new ACME conversion from SSS eith 5 & 10 round mags available.

the main difference in the FP & FCP is the DBM but the screw hole spacing on the action screws is different i believe. i have a 10 fcp. bress sass has a 10 fp. we could get the measurements to verify. here is the thing. you do have choices to make and the changes in the savage line make it even more important to know what you want out of the system. i readdly like CDI and the look of that mag system on a rifle. but with the fcp, its cheaper to get 9 round mags for the fcp than convert it to CDI. i can get 4 SSS 9 round mags for about what i can get the CDI and one mag for. not knocking CDI at all, i will use it on a future build. so you gotta decide. if you want to upgrade to a better stock right off the bat, and you dont like the McMillan A5 or the HS Precision that savage offers in the 10FCP line, then you have to decide if you want to go with a 10FP and then add Jeffs CDI or that ACME conversion (IF IT WILL FIT THE 10 FP) for a bottom mag system.

i agree, its alot of choices. you really have to educate yourself as to what the differences are. it takes a while to sort it all out. i have been there, done that. ask questions, i or someone else will try to help you with some info. so far, i dont recall anyone being unhappy with the savage they bought and kept. you will get the guys that swap out the accu trigger cause it feels this or that or has the blade, well thats what we all said about glock too. there is the feel of the bolt when you lift it and it cocks the rifle. that can be lessened to a degree. mine feels fine, but ive never had a 700 so i cant compare the two. if you need less choices, get a 700 sps tac or acc. good base rifles. get to know your local smith, you will become his customer soon. there are plenty of nice used stocks for the 700 platforn from many makers and thats something you wont see alot of is used McM or AI stocks for a savage. they are available new, but you dont get alot of them used for savage yet. there is nothing you can do or get for a rem 700 that you cant get or will be able to get soon for a savage. except for freedom from a gun smith and the pride and self satisfaction of doing your own work on the rifle.

i am a novice but i changed my barrel cause i got a smoking deal on a shillen select match. ill bed it next and it just had a time and tune done. that was the only visit to a smith its ever gonna have and i am really not sure it was necessary after the stuff i had already done to smooth out the action. but i wanted to see what it was all about. not sure how i feel about it yet. im good with the time and true as its stuff i could not do, but was it really beneficial or needed or worth the money?? still thining on that. but for $125 its not a bad thing, it didnt hurt anything either. more to come on that.

if you have a question, ask it, we will try to answer. we like new members in the savage club. our power grows as our numbers increase. come over to the dark side
wink.gif

Well, the reason for the stock swap is that I have seen where quite a few don't like the A5 style stock, and the XLR mimics the AR style ergonomics, which I am very use to from the mil and personal weapon, and the price would be very similar if I went with the FP/XLR/AICS mag combo as opposed to the FCP w/Mcmillan. However, I still haven't ruled the FCP out
wink.gif
. I know it probably seems like I am going all over the place here with my posts, but I want to make sure I am going to get what I want and be happy. A lot of guys here have several rifle that cost thousands, but this is a really big purchase to me.

no worries man. i seem to be blessed. i saw mine on savages site and got a boner and bought it. i didnt learn all this stuff til afterwards. what i really wanted was the package gun that savage offers with the FCP and storm case and Mk4 scope. well other than the case and scope, i have it now and with a better barrel and its not $2k either. well not yet, lol. i may upgrade the scope later, but im happy with my millett for now. and try the stocks if you can find them. there is a reason the A5 is the most copied stock in the world. i like A4s better. they look more snipery, lol. hit the local gun shows or drive to the closest one, they are starting up and surely in TX you can find some people with rifles that will let you feel them up a little

the rem is time proven....over and over and over, but to be as accurate as the savage...it needs work. The savage comes out of the box, considerably more accurate...has a floating bolt and has a barrel nut, those 2 things alone are what's making me pick one over a rem. Not to mention the accu-trigger, which is a GREAT factory trigger..much better than the x-mark crap, though not as good as the 40x trigger. But all of this is subjective and every person will have their own likes/dislikes of both companies. The best thing you could do is go scout out some at all the local gun shops/gun shows...and just handle every single variation you can find. If you're lucky enough to know owners of either gun....see if you can't go shoot them. You'll NEVER get the right answer on this, or any other forum, because no one else on here will hold/shoot/feel the gun in just the same way you do.

Axeman - I purchased the .308 10FLCP last year. I made my own Kydex cheek rest, put a Konus M30 4.5x16x40 (Mil-dot SFP w/SF) scope on it with EGW extended base and Harris bi-pod. Since I wanted a SAS titanium suppressor, which I should have in my hot hands soon, I kept the fitted rifle at < $1000.00. I like the rifle, trigger and Accustock, because they work well together. Best part is it makes one hole at 250 yards, when I take the time and do my part. I haven't had a chance to shoot at longer ranges, but I'm confident it will perform.