• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Advise on new scope Athlon vs vortex razor

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
Hey guys, I’m new to the hide first post. Looking for a scope for a new rifle.
the rifle is a bergara premier hmr pro in 6.5 creedmoor. The purpose is for steel target shooting at the range out to 1000yards maybe further as I shoot more. I’ve always been I vortex guy I have 2 viper pst gen 2 on other rifles and several other vortex products. I am an MOA guy. I was looking into the Athlon scopes as well. I’ve read several threads on the ares etr and chronus btr. I can get a new razor hd gen 2 4.5x47x56 for 1750 shipped I would have to save for a month or two for this which is ok if it’s best. I also looked at the cronus which is around 1600 or should I just get the razor because I’ve read the turrets are way better on the razor. I am not concerned about the razors weight. My other question is for my purposes would I be better just saving the money for other things and go with the ares etr? Is the razor hd worth the cost of almost 2 ares etr? Thanks.

First of all, wait for sales and make some calls to hide vendors. You can get the cronus for at least 100 cheaper over the phone from cameralandny and you can get the vortex for 150 cheaper from liberty optics. A penny saved is a penny earned. Or shop used as well.

The moa razor is capped at 71moa from zero stop even though it has more internally available, the mil version does not cap you and allows for 28.5mils(=96.2moa). So if extreme long range stuff is on your future plans radar you might want to take that adjustment unit into consideration along with your scope base cant. If not then its a non factor. 71moa(=20 mils) is still a crap load though and should get your creed to a mile.

Personally Im not a fan of the razor in my limited exposure to it but I love my cronus btr (im sure people are tiring of me saying that).

Im at a point in my shooting where Ive accumulated some good scopes but find that the cheaper ones are doing just about as well for me at the sacrifice of some glass quality and just overall fit and finish.
The ETR may not be quite as durable as the higher level scopes but unless youve been exposed to those higher level scopes to get spoiled I think most people would be blown away buy the $1k level scopes these days. The ETR, the 900 bushnell DMR2 and steiner p4xi deals from cameraland etc are mighty enticing if you can sacrifice a bit of the bougie factor.

I bet black friday is going to have a great showing as well in a few weeks.

Reactions: Tunnuh
I would also suggest you do some searching on this forum, lots of posts just like yours with lots of information already out there. I would also look at other scope options. There are a lot of solid scopes out there that will not break the bank. The Riton 4-32x56 is one I am running on 2 rifles right now, very pleased with them and at about a third of the cost of a Razor.

There is a search function here too.

I’m a NF guy and I stuck a Razor on a Vudoo 22 and I love it. I’m an MOA guy also.

Cameraland is GTG for sure but I don’t think Doug is a Vortex dealer. They are great folks to deal with.

Reactions: Jcaplinger199