• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise on SFP hunting scope at the $2500 price point.

Cobra M197

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
Northern California
What is the platform for the scope? Bolt
What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 Manbun
What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting (30-300 yd) and Target (100-1000 yd)
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? 30 min before Sunrise to all day to 30 min after Sunset
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 30-1000 yd
Are there any specific specifications you would like? Simple reticle, low weight, SFP, Easy to get behind with very forgiving eye box.
What is the price range you can afford? $2,500 max.

Optics Planet has this new Schmidt and Bender 3-18X42 (25 oz) "available" for just under $2,500 (includes tax and shipping). By "available" I mean its for sale and "expected" to ship in 2-4 weeks. https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/new-products/3-18x42.html

Questions:
1. Is there a better lightweight (28 oz or less) SFP scope to consider at this price point such as Swarovski, March, etc.?

2. What's the typical lead time on these Schmid & Bender scopes when they aren't directly in dealer inventory?

3. Anyone have experience with this scope? Perhaps its too new for feedback.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone has experience with that scope, I’m personally looking forward to hearing about it. Optics planet doesn’t list the features correctly at all, I’d look up the serial number to be sure of the model you are buying. I’m convinced they do this on purpose, they are the worst at listing items with correct features.

I would not ask a simple duplex reticle to perform as a target scope. You want windage marks so you can adjust for wind with the reticle. I highly recommend getting two scopes for your purpose; a lightweight hunting scope, and a FFP target scope. Or just get a FFP scope with a simple tree reticle to do both jobs. It’s nice to have the magnification to see bullet holes on target in a target scope, and it’s nice to have lower magnification and an easily visible reticle on a hunting scope, among so many other things for both purposes. If you want one scope, be realistic about what you need in a hunting scope and then see if you find one that will also perform that role and be useful for target shooting.

You might look at:
Bushnell LRHS 3-12 or 4.5-18
SWFA SS 3-9
Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 (SFP) or 4.5-22 (FFP)

What is the platform for the scope? Bolt
What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 Manbun
What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting (30-300 yd) and Target (100-1000 yd)
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? 30 min before Sunrise to all day to 30 min after Sunset
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 30-1000 yd
Are there any specific specifications you would like? Simple reticle, low weight, SFP, Easy to get behind with very forgiving eye box.
What is the price range you can afford? $2,500 max.

Optics Planet has this new Schmidt and Bender 3-18X42 (25 oz) "available" for just under $2,500 (includes tax and shipping). By "available" I mean its for sale and "expected" to ship in 2-4 weeks. https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/new-products/3-18x42.html

Questions:
1. Is there a better lightweight (28 oz or less) SFP scope to consider at this price point such as Swarovski, March, etc.?

2. What's the typical lead time on these Schmid & Bender scopes when they aren't directly in dealer inventory?

3. Anyone have experience with this scope? Perhaps its too new for feedback.

As pointed out above it is going to be challenging to obtain your requirements for both a hunting and target scope in one SFP package.

But, if your primary is to satisfy your hunting needs then per the distances and specs you provided the S&B Polar T96 will be a good choice.

My 2.5-10x50 runs on my Tikka T3 in .30-06 and most distances for deer are 60-130 yards with the occasional 300-350 yard shot thrown in max distance. And I holdover. Glass will allow you to clearly ID your shot before legal AM and well after legal PM…..ours is 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. Great hunting scope for low light.

Reactions: Scopeye
It’s nice to have the magnification to see bullet holes on target in a target scope
People way underestimate the level of clarity and resolution needed to see .3" and smaller holes on paper at distances much past 150 yards.

Very few rifle scopes can do that well when even some high end spotting copes can struggle.

When I think of high-end SFP hunting scopes, I think of Swarovski. But that's not what comes to mind for a target scope.

The S&B you're considering has a ballistic turret setup that is very similar to Swarovski's. Here is a lightly used Swarovski 3-18x50 for a lot less money.

March has a 2.5-25x52 that's only 23oz.

May be right at your max price, but it'd be my choice unless I wanted more magnification, but this covers your mag spec and more.

Examples on a chassis and stock platform for visualization:

tempImage2N6rS6.jpg

NF NXS 2.5-10x42 on Mini Fix with 16" barrel

tempImageNl4V1S.jpg

NF NXS 2.5-10x42 on Tikka T3 CTR with 20 inch barrel

If one knows the game animal general dimensions, bullet drops, and a decent understanding of wind effect, all in inches or same unit of measure, a SFP duplex reticle can absolutely bag the critters with regularity. Want to add a bit of cheat? Use a CDS turret style like Leupold VX5HD line. If the animal is farther than the "hold on hair" use the CDS turret to dial. My 3-15X56 VX5HD is a F'N sweetheart for this method. Light weight and beautiful glass. Pops the colors, contrast, and clarity like watching a 4K HD TV.