• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise Please - AR15 Straight 20 Round Mag for NM

Compact45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
WDM, Iowa USA
Needing to tap into this sites excellent knowledge base. I'm getting into National Match Service Rifle Competition and am in need of AR15 straignt 20 round magazines. Can any one recommend a reliable magazine that is legal for this sport. Would preban Colt mags with alloy followers be best or something more current.

Thank you!

Re: Advise Please - AR15 Straight 20 Round Mag for NM

NHMTG, 20 round.

Done.

Cheap brownell or something with Sinclair singleshot follower. And magpul pmags for rapids. Never had an alibi with them.

20 rnd. Colt or military mags with the alum followers are the most reliable mags ever made, IMO. These can be found like new at gunshows...cheap.

The new USGI 20rd with plastic follower made by Okay are just as reliable as the alloy follower mags with the advantage of being cheap, new, and available. They are branded NHMTG and Colt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pmags are legal for service rifle competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThrottleJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pmags are legal for service rifle competition. </div></div>
I've been using the 20 round pmags with no problems. Maybe I've been cheating? If some one knows for sure it'd be news to me..

Thanks everyone, I've been out of town and could not respond.

Has anyone used CProducts 20 round mag in either alum or SS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Compact45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone, I've been out of town and could not respond.

Has anyone used CProducts 20 round mag in either alum or SS?</div></div>

They usually work but are not of the same quality as other magazines mentioned above.

Tried alum. C Products: junk, nothing but problems.

Thanks everyone for your help!!! We have a gun show this month and I'll look for some USGI 20s with alloy followers or go with current Colt or NHMTG and a single feed follower in a cheaper mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Compact45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone for your help!!! We have a gun show this month and I'll look for some USGI 20s with alloy followers or go with current Colt or NHMTG and a single feed follower in a cheaper mag. </div></div>

Go buy whatever mag bodies you want and send me a PM with your addy and Ill send you two of the metal followers if you want. I am pretty sure I have two of them in a drawer somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacshooter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ThrottleJ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pmags are legal for service rifle competition. </div></div>

As of July 2008, the CMP approved use of BOTH PMAG 20 AND 30 round mags in Service Rifle competitions. See below (I removed the direct e-mail links to prevent spamming, etc., but the e-mail itself is unaltered):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary Anderson with ODCMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Richard Whiting; Shannon Hand
Subject: Re: AR15 / M16 Match Question (Legal v Illegal Equipment)

Brad:

Our rules were changed in 2008 to permit the Mag-Pul magazines so they are legal. The rule now reads "Metal or synthetic (polymer) magazines with standard service 20 or 30-round box magazine dimensions must be attached during the firing of all courses and in all positions." The Army is issuing and using them.

There is some question about the exact configuration of these magazines so we may need to clarify this further, but for purposes of the original question, you can report that Mag-Pul polymer magazines are legal under CMP Rules.

Gary
Gary Anderson
[email protected]
</div></div>

RRA stocks and sells the NHMTG 20 rounders. Go with them if you want new.

Or, keep an eye out for older USGI mags. My local surplus guy has them from time to time. Springs can be a bit weak sometimes, so push down on the follower to test for the good ones in the bunch when shopping used. Also take a good look at the feed lips. If you have a new USGI 30 rounder as a go-by for the feed lips this helps when sorting through used mags.

EDIT TO ADD: I am considering switching to the P Mags for rapid fire for one reason - the snap on covers. When I pre-load my rapid fire mags the night before a match then put them in my stool, I have this nagging feeling that a round might pop out of a mag in transit to the match/while at the match. The snap on cover would insure against this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacshooter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ThrottleJ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pmags are legal for service rifle competition. </div></div>

As of July 2008, the CMP approved use of BOTH PMAG 20 AND 30 round mags in Service Rifle competitions. See below (I removed the direct e-mail links to prevent spamming, etc., but the e-mail itself is unaltered):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary Anderson with ODCMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Richard Whiting; Shannon Hand
Subject: Re: AR15 / M16 Match Question (Legal v Illegal Equipment)

Brad:
)
Our rules were changed in 2008 to permit the Mag-Pul magazines so they are legal. The rule now reads "Metal or synthetic (polymer) magazines with standard service 20 or 30-round box magazine dimensions must be attached during the firing of all courses and in all positions." The Army is issuing and using them.

There is some question about the exact configuration of these magazines so we may need to clarify this further, but for purposes of the original question, you can report that Mag-Pul polymer magazines are legal under CMP Rules.

Gary
Gary Anderson
[email protected]
</div></div> </div></div>

Great. Thanks for checking to clarify that.

Thanks ORD for the verification. After researching the PMags it appears they are virtually indestructible.

tacshooter223 and 9H good to know your using or thinking of switching. Since I'm starting out in this NM sport I'm going pick a couple up and give them go.

Thanks again!!!

I picked up a couple 20 round PMAGS but have a question on the COL with this mag.

Has anyone tried inserting a round with a 77g Sierra? I have not loaded a 77g yet but I can visually tell the col is shorter with the PMAGS versus the USGI alum mags when inserting a 55g FMJ factory load.

If you have inserted a 77g what is the maximum col you can use. I am asking before I buy more. My upper is ordered and am waiting for delivery before I load anything.

Thanks.

I have just been loading the 77gr Matchkings to 2.250" just like everything else because of mag length limits. 75gr A-Max, 80gr Matchking, 90gr Matchking, and the heavy Bergers all have to be single loaded as the ogive is in such a place as to not allow them to be loaded that short.