• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Advise urgently needed---SRT or K9?

dohnuts58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
the big MO
I have wanted to both for years, since day 1. Tomorrow at 6 am, the indoc starts for SRT, at 930 is the board for K9. Obviously I can't do both, the question is do I do SRT and shoot and go to the gym all the time, or K9 and play with dogs and go to the gym all the time? Both will look good on my record, should I leave the Corps. K9 I would be nationally certified and can get a job as a handler, SRT i would have to do some time on the road before applying to the team. I am at an impasse on what to do. Please advise

Re: Advise urgently needed---SRT or K9?

This sounds like a decision that you should make. Make the decision based on what YOU would enjoy doing, hell you are the one doing it.

Relax, enjoy the day and think about what you want to be doing tomorrow and years down the road.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

neither, work dispatch, thats where all the action is, and they get all the girls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have wanted to both for years, since day 1. Tomorrow at 6 am, the indoc starts for SRT, at 930 is the board for K9. Obviously I can't do both, the question is do I do SRT and shoot and go to the gym all the time, or K9 and play with dogs and go to the gym all the time? Both will look good on my record, should I leave the Corps. <span style="color: #FF0000">K9 I would be nationally certified and can get a job as a handler</span>, SRT i would have to do some time on the road before applying to the team. I am at an impasse on what to do. Please advise </div></div>

I'm going to assume that when you say "get a job as a handler" you mean with getting a job with a law enforcement agency. If that's the case, I don't think there is any department in the nation that puts their officers in specialized units right off the bats. New officers generally have to do anywhere between 2-15 years of patrol before being considered for specialized units. Up here in the northeast the standard is about 5 years patrol.

That being said, me personally, I would do K9. Those guys get the best of both worlds. On top of having a trained dog (all expenses paid for) all of our K9 guys train with on the tactical aspect of the job. They're trained in special weapons, attend all of the swat schools and they supplement us on entries (raids/callouts).

If you go K9, you'll be doing a lot more while you're in the military as opposed if you were on the SRT. I can't remember too many times when the SRT at 29 Stumps was activated but I remember seeing the dogs all the time.

If you get K-9 training while in the Corps and then decide to get out, you can go to work with another federal agency (i.e.;ICE or CBP) as a dog handler and your military time can count towards your retirement years. SRT would look good on a resume, but like was mentioned before, it may be hard to go straight into SRT with a larger department without road time first.

By the way dohnuts58, I was a dog handler in the Corps and now I'm a civilian CID Agent at MCLB Albany, GA. Semper Fi!

I'd do K9 in a minute. more opportunities down the road I think.

If you peruse the thread about SWAT tactics in the Bear Pit, you may conclude that you will get no respect from your civvy friends if you go that route! Your dog will always love you.

grin.gif

you ever spend time in the kennels? had a whole lot of folks come in and want to play with the puppies, till they found out we actually work our ass's off.. might want to put a lil more thought into it..

yeah, spent a LOT of time in the kennels in san diego, and went on the k9 board there, but was denied because i had just got orders to pendleton

Good luck. I went Traffic and my Crash Reconstruction schools set me up for civilian life.

K9 is cool and all, but you are then married to that dog.
This means that you shouldn't expect much time off for the next few years while said dog and you are trained.
One other thing is that there is a big difference between a working dog and a pet.

Which ever way you go, be sure to make an informed decision.

thank you to all who commented or voted. i am a little disappointed in the turn outs though, 550 views, and only 43 votes? i appreciate those that took the time to vote or say something, but what about the other 510 members?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you to all who commented or voted. i am a little disappointed in the turn outs though, 550 views, and only 43 votes? i appreciate those that took the time to vote or say something, but what about the other 510 members? </div></div>

Maybe they had nothing of value to add and just wanted to read the thread out of curiosity? You'll never get a 1:1 read/response ratio around here or anywhere for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you to all who commented or voted. i am a little disappointed in the turn outs though, 550 views, and only 43 votes? i appreciate those that took the time to vote or say something, but what about the other 510 members?</div></div>

sorry that was me, I came back to it 500 times and then finally left my guidance, see above

That is an individual choice but K9 will probably have more benefits as a resume item later. Our K9s are also SWAT and get to be part of more exciting stuff than anyone else. They also do the most training and get called out the most (most inconvenienced).