• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AE MKII 308 vs AW 308

300WSM

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2004
WI
With the new MKII AE. What are you giving up when comparing it to the AW? I have heard the bolts are now interchangeable true?

If so does than mean the AE can now use the barrel change kit that the AW's use? If not what does it take to change the AE barrels?

If you are "operating" in typical conditions -20* to +100* is there any advantage to the AW?

If you are not a military sniper but are interested in shooting comps etc. ( think conditions like the steel safari ) does the AW trump the AE by a significant margin?

Re: AE MKII 308 vs AW 308

the bolts were always interchangeable.

The kits can be used, the difference is you take the action out of the chassis for the AE as opposed to be bonded into the chassis like the AW. In the armorers class you break the AE down to just an action, which is a simple process. The AW breaks down to a Chassis w/ Action. Basically what comes down too is you take the AE apart, the AW can essentially stay together when you change the barrel.

There are subtle differences but essentially they are very similar. you can swap other parts too but only in one direction, from AW to AE not the other way around.

I don't think one trumps the other in competition.

well I just don't get it then...why the huge difference in $$$?

mkII uses AW mags now as well right?

You to see them side by side there is obvious differences from a builders standpoint... for instance the bonding process takes a while, you don't just drop the action into the chassis and move one, it has a process.

The safeties are mechanically different added cost and design.

However since the MkII came out they are very close to each other.

MKII uses AW mags now as well right?

hmm AE MKII isn't going to be out til the fall?

guess i spoke to the wrong lady at tac pro then heh she said nov.

Or just give us a call..we've got plenty of different models of AE MkIIs to choose from
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the bolts were always interchangeable.

The kits can be used, the difference is you take the action out of the chassis for the AE as opposed to be bonded into the chassis like the AW. In the armorers class you break the AE down to just an action, which is a simple process. The AW breaks down to a Chassis w/ Action. Basically what comes down too is you take the AE apart, the AW can essentially stay together when you change the barrel.

There are subtle differences but essentially they are very similar. you can swap other parts too but only in one direction, from AW to AE not the other way around.

I don't think one trumps the other in competition. </div></div>

Not trying to hi-jack but....
Taking advantage of this thread ,can an AW 308 factory barrel be screwd on an AE MKII 308 rifle without any headspacing probs? I know they use same thread patter but since actions are different can this be done.Lowlight stated in his post you can swap AW to AE parts wondering if barrel swap applies.thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmm AE MKII isn't going to be out til the fall? </div></div>

She may have been talking about the AX series.......maybe?

yeah I think so on the AX. MKII been out for a year now.

No one has yet mentioned mag length. Not important if you are shooting issued ammo, but it could be significant if you are planning to maximize performance from your .308 to shoot comps. What's the COAL that will fit into an AW mag?

2.97 = AW
2.89 = AICS which teh Mk II uses
2.97 = AE Mk1 proprietary mag

So will the MK II use the AICS mags without the front plate or do they suffer from the same problem as the Remmy's?