• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AE vs AW Durability

wildcatsfan11

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Lexington, KY
So I have been doing a lot of reading but obviously not enough. I am trying to decide between an AE and an AW in 308. The AE appeals to me more because of price and currently I have no need to change barrels. The one question I do have though is that I have read in countless posts that you do not give up durability with the AE instead of the AW. How can this be considering the AE action is not permanently bonded or does the bonded vs. not bonded action not have a great deal of effect on repeatability/durability.

Thanks for any info.

Re: AE vs AW Durability

It's the same... don't sweat it.

The reason it's not an issue is because the spec torque value is 100 in lbs, most bolt guns are using half that if not less in some of the lesser builds.

You'll never hurt it.

Has anyone ever bonded their AE? Just wondering with 100 inch pounds you would have to do some awfull things to the rifle to break it loose either that or you will snap the action screws. What is the RC hardness of the action? I would think that on a lesser action you might strip the threads on either the screw or action.

I think one thing people tend to forget about is while the AW is bonded, the epoxy also acts as a bedding material enhancing the already flawless maching by perfectly mating the two. I believe AI goes one step beyound by making the the marriage permanent. With that said, should the action scrws ever become lose the bond will help maintain the accuracy.

The epoxy isnt a force multiplier so to speak in upping the durablity of teh AW series in comparison to the AE but just another of the subbtle features that distinguise one from the other.

If a permanent bond in an AE isnt something your are looking to do might I suggest a beding job, it will allow the same advantage as the epoxy of the AW without the permanent bond.