• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AEM5/OCM5 Suppressor added length?

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
I know the suppressor lengths are 8.8" but does anyone know the added length to the barrel with AEM5 or the OCM5 suppressors when the brake is used?

Added length to barrel/overall system is around 6.25” roughly. I know I should know the exact number down to the decimal point in my head but I don’t. I’d have to look at a print and I’m at home.

11.3” barrel (shortest possible barrel due to gas block) + OCM5 = 17.55 total length
12.5” barrel (Gordon) + OCM5 = 18.75 total length
16” barrel (mod H) + OCM5 = 22.25 total length
18” barrel (mod 0, mod 1) + OCM5 = 24.25 total length

There’s some rough numbers for you

Last edited:
Added length to barrel/overall system is around 6.25” roughly. I know I should know the exact number down to the decimal point in my head but I don’t. I’d have to look at a print and I’m at home.

11.3” barrel (shortest possible barrel due to gas block) + OCM5 = 17.55 total length
12.5” barrel (Gordon) + OCM5 = 18.75 total length
16” barrel (mod H) + OCM5 = 22.25 total length
18” barrel (mod 0, mod 1) + OCM5 = 24.25 total length

There’s some rough numbers for you
Thanks man. Are your barrel length numbers including the brake or just the barrel?

Thanks man. Are your barrel length numbers including the brake or just the barrel?
That’s including the brake.
The brake doesn’t actually add any length to the overall system if you think about it, because the suppressor is going over it anyway.
When I say the suppressor goes about 2.5-2.55 inches over the barrel I’m talking about the actual barrel itself. If you want to include the brake in that measurement then it’s about 3.45ish inches encapsulated by the suppressor from tip of muzzle brake to back of suppressors

That’s including the brake.
The brake doesn’t actually add any length to the overall system if you think about it, because the suppressor is going over it anyway.
When I say the suppressor goes about 2.5-2.55 inches over the barrel I’m talking about the actual barrel itself. If you want to include the brake in that measurement then it’s about 3.45ish inches encapsulated by the suppressor from tip of muzzle brake to back of suppressors
Gotcha, I was wondering what the added length was in comparison to the barrel length with the brake included. In the circumstance where the brake is pin and welded for overall length of 16". So the added length of the suppressor with the brake added to the barrel length is around 5.4". That's not too bad...

Last edited:
Gotcha, I was wondering what the added length was in comparison to the barrel length with the brake included. In the circumstance where the brake is pin and welded for overall length of 16". So the added length of the suppressor with the brake added to the barrel length is around 5.4". That's not too bad...

I think you are reading Andrew's comments incorrectly. The brake, when the suppressor is tightened on has nothing to do with the overall length of the barrel and suppressor. The suppressor will be fixed, up against the collar attached to the barrel, and then the external threads of the suppressor screw-in the suppressor inside the suppressor.

So, the suppressor will be adding (from Andrew's numbers) 6-1/2" to the barrel, that is not additive to the brake, but measured from the crown of the barrel.

Reactions: AndrewKing
I think you are reading Andrew's comments incorrectly. The brake, when the suppressor is tightened on has nothing to do with the overall length of the barrel and suppressor. The suppressor will be fixed, up against the collar attached to the barrel, and then the external threads of the suppressor screw-in the suppressor inside the suppressor.

So, the suppressor will be adding (from Andrew's numbers) 6-1/2" to the barrel, that is not additive to the brake, but measured from the crown of the barrel.
Correct

I'm not sure you guys are understanding.... IDK if you are aware but for legal purposes a pinned and welded muzzle device is a part of the barrel and considered in its length. If you have a 15.1" barrel on an AR with a stock it's considered an SBR but if you pin and weld a brake that makes it 16" It's no longer an SBR. I'm not interested in the added length from the crown of the muzzle I'm interested in the added length from the end of the brake.

Really the easiest way to measure this would be to measure from the taper on the barrel to the end of the brake. Take that number and subtract it from the OAL of the can.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you guys are understanding.... IDK if you are aware but for legal purposes a pinned and welded muzzle device is a part of the barrel and considered in its length. If you have a 15.1" barrel on an AR with a stock it's considered an SBR but if you pin and weld a brake that makes it 16" It's no longer an SBR. I'm not interested in the added length from the crown of the muzzle I'm interested in the added length from the end of the brake.

Really the easiest way to measure this would be to measure from the taper on the barrel to the end of the brake. Take that number and subtract it from the OAL of the can.
I’m aware

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out and it’ll be a good set up. 15.1 NSW is what I’m building right now too

IDK if being a dick when people are trying to help you is necessary. They gave you the right info and you could easily adapt it to your own situation with a little math. Even the most basic math. Pretty simple. But IDK

Last edited:
IDK if being a dick when people are trying to help you is necessary. They gave you the right info and you could easily adapt it to your own situation with a little math. Even the most basic math. Pretty simple. But IDK
IDK what the point of your post is as it in no way helps or is relevant. I replied to a person that obviously didn't understand what I was saying so I simply broke it down.

I’m aware

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out and it’ll be a good set up. 15.1 NSW is what I’m building right now too
Yeah, the main reason I'm asking is I plan on shooting some 2 gun matches suppressed and I'm trying to keep the set up short as possible without doing an SBR and dealing with the ATF going across state lines.

I think you’d be happy with 15.1 for 2 gun. I’m taking my 15.1 to the silver creek 2 gun in December. Otter creek is sponsoring the match and giving out a suppressor. If you’re close come shoot and chill!
Yeah, the main reason I'm asking is I plan on shooting some 2 gun matches suppressed and I'm trying to keep the set up short as possible without doing an SBR and dealing with the ATF going across state lines.

Reactions: jzerfoss
If your worried about length, why a AEM5 over the AEM2?
Balance of suppression and length. I've heard a lot of suppressors on gasguns and the AEM5/OPS12 is one of the most impressive to my ears. If the OCM5 matches that with less weight that's a win-win to me.

I think you’d be happy with 15.1 for 2 gun. I’m taking my 15.1 to the silver creek 2 gun in December. Otter creek is sponsoring the match and giving out a suppressor. If you’re close come shoot and chill!
I saw that advertised and as tempting as it is I'm in the panhandle of WV so that's a bit of a haul for me. I plan on making as many as possible next year though since PRS has become less and less appealing over the years.

The suppressor length doesn't change the length of the barrel.

Quite being a fucking dick, keep your AR-15 barrel at 16" and get the suppressor.

The suppressor length doesn't change the length of the barrel.

Quite being a fucking dick, keep your AR-15 barrel at 16" and get the suppressor.
Please by all means continue to add retarded posts to this thread.... Does it add literal permanent length to the barrel? No and no shit Sherlock. Does it add length to the firearm when attached to the barrel? Yes it does and I guess I could have worded the question better so that mildly retarded people like yourself could understand what I meant. Andrew answered my question so no need for dipshits like yourself to keep commenting. Thanks

Last edited:
8BA495EE-01F7-4AB0-88E5-1E87FA01B23B.png

• Haha
Reactions: jzerfoss
Your time here will be short.

Much like a shorter can is still a shorter can. Tone, and how they sound is a different discussion than what you started with.

BEE9E9B6-B7AF-4B32-A1AB-76514BD9A45B.jpeg

Your time here will be short.

Much like a shorter can is still a shorter can. Tone, and how they sound is a different discussion than what you started with.

View attachment 7738515
🤦‍♂️

What can is even on the left because AEM5 is only 8.8". I have a TBAC 6.5mm Ultra 5 if I only wanted super short but I want very quiet with reasonable OAL when the cans attached. Again, Andrew answered my question and I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on a better option. (y)

Please by all means continue to add retarded posts to this thread.... Does it add literal permanent length to the barrel? No and no shit Sherlock. Does it add length to the firearm when attached to the barrel. Yes it does and I guess I could have worded the question better it so mildly retarded people like yourself could understand what I meant. Andrew answered my question so no need for dipshits like yourself to keep commenting. Thanks
You are one salty fella.

PS - you are really over thinking this.

Angle of the pic is distorting the perceived length. That’s an AEM5 on the left.