• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero AR10 308 ammo

Chasingpro

Captain
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
I recently picked up an Aero precision M5 in .308. I am trying to figure out what shoots the best out of everyone else’s guns. I would typically just buy a bunch of different stuff, but with ammo prices I’d rather narrow it down to a few choices to pick from. Looking for accuracy up to about 500 yards. Thanks y’all.

Fed. Gold Medal Match ( 168gr ) has a very good track record in .308, and is pretty much the "Standard" as far as .308 match ammo ( the 175gr is fast surpassing it ... but my rifles prefer the 168gr )
Sadly the days of $16/20rds is gone.

I have also had very good luck with Horn. AG 155gr. ( I don't know if that is still sold in bulk cans )

You might try some GGG 308 Match. Weights from 155, 168, and 175gr. GGG Ball from 2003ish ( or '08 ) was crazy good.... so I would "hope" their Match ammo is good to go.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cse...=AND&DisplayMode=Grid&Condition=-1&Search=GGG

I also get great results with the 168 FGMM out of my aero. I don't have a factory barrel though, I'm running an 18" Criterion on it. I can't imagine trying to find a factory .308 round for a rifle without having the 168 FGMM in the running.

FGMM, 168 or 175. If it won’t shoot that, it’s time to reload.

...to be honest, there is no easy answer as each rifle is unique and the only way to "find out" is by testing. While you can use the "match grade" brands/types, don't discount the non-match ammo, there have been many reports of AR's performing better with non-match ammo types. Assuming it's a new rifle, trying various ammo types/brands/weights will not only "break it in", but can give you some insights on performance of the various ammo types that will help you to narrow down ammo types/brands/weights for follow-on testing for future bulk buying.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
If 500 yards and in is your priority then shoot the least expensive stuff you can find and be done with it. Mil-surplus would suit you. It will just drift more in the wind.

i don't have your rifle, but i found prvi partizan (ppu) m80 to be decent and consistent. worth trying imho for something cheaper.
unfortunately it isn't $0.40/rd anymore like when i was buying it.

i don't have your rifle, but i found prvi partizan (ppu) m80 to be decent and consistent. worth trying imho for something cheaper.
unfortunately it isn't $0.40/rd anymore like when i was buying it.
agree, this is not bad ammo at all

I may try the GGG above

If you’re looking for match ammo then like it was already suggested get a box of FGGM to start with. It’s the standard by which all match ammo is judged, I’d also recommend Hornady match and Black Hills too. Your best bet is to reload even though this is a bad time to start. I also really, really like PPU ball. It’s very accurate for ball and depending on how small of targets you are shooting at 500 it may serve you well enough not to even spend the money on match ammo. I know this won’t be popular but I discovered Wolf Military Ball to be the most accurate of ball ammo. I can get slightly less than 2 MOA out of it so it might be worth picking up a box to see how your rifle likes it. a warning on it, it’s dirty but it shoots well…

If you’re looking for match ammo then like it was already suggested get a box of FGGM to start with. It’s the standard by which all match ammo is judged, I’d also recommend Hornady match and Black Hills too. Your best bet is to reload even though this is a bad time to start. I also really, really like PPU ball. It’s very accurate for ball and depending on how small of targets you are shooting at 500 it may serve you well enough not to even spend the money on match ammo. I know this won’t be popular but I discovered Wolf Military Ball to be the most accurate of ball ammo. I can get slightly less than 2 MOA out of it so it might be worth picking up a box to see how your rifle likes it. a warning on it, it’s dirty but it shoots well…
ha, I love wolf as well in 223, x39 and 308. I find it to be very good fodder and accuracy is more than acceptable