• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero FA screw

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    I was apparently sent an M4E1 upper receiver instead of their regular AR-15 ones. (Score!) Seems good, but I noticed that the forward assist does not have a roll pin. It's a threaded bolt. Anyone else use these uppers or have problems with these little bolts? I'm wondering what the shear strength of these are. I emailed AP, but I have a feeling they probably didn't delve into that when designing it. Could be wrong though.

What good would knowing the shear strength be if you didn't know how much force you could put into it? The point of it is to keep it from falling out, not to take real load.

Reactions: rpoL98
    What good would knowing the shear strength be if you didn't know how much force you could put into it? The point of it is to keep it from falling out, not to take real load.
    Yes, I understand. What good would it do? Peace of mind. Have you seen these bolts I'm speaking of? They are on bolt catch's on the M4E1 and on the FA on the upper. Stripping one would be incredibly easy. I feel like asking how strong is the bolt is a pretty valid question, given where they are.

I have an M4E1 set. They're fine, it's easier to work with than the pins. They're comparable to the pins, if not stronger because they're solid. Stripping the thread would have nothing to do with its strength in retaining the FA or bolt catch. They take almost no torque to install, just a little loctite on them and they're golden.

Yes, I understand. What good would it do? Peace of mind. Have you seen these bolts I'm speaking of? They are on bolt catch's on the M4E1 and on the FA on the upper. Stripping one would be incredibly easy. I feel like asking how strong is the bolt is a pretty valid question, given where they are.
    You're overthinking shit dude.
    I've had several, yet to see even a slight issue.
    Many lowers have screws for the bolt catch...not just Aero.
    Have YOU ever heard of a problem with them ?
    I didn't think so.

You're overthinking shit dude.
    I've had several, yet to see even a slight issue.
    Many lowers have screws for the bolt catch...not just Aero.
    Have YOU ever heard of a problem with them ?
    I didn't think so.
    Read a few threads about people stripping the screws. I have never read one, of one breaking entirely though. @UpSideDown made a good point about it being a solid piece, as opposed to a hollow roll pin. I didn't take that into account.

IMHO, you're more likely to strip out the threads in the aluminum, than the threads on the steel set-screw. aluminum being the softer material. you just snug them up, using loc-tite to hold them in. folks that over-torque these and strip out the threads in their receivers probably shouldn't be assembling firearms.