• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero M4E1, loosening barrel nut?

Steamroller53

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2022
Utah
Has anyone heard of aero precision barrel nuts loosing on the enhanced uppers? I generally favor designs that prevent the barrel nut from turning or the operator could detect if it did.

So have you heard that they loosen? If yes where?

When the barrel falls off the operator detects this and stops shooting.

Then get a Seekins as they use two setscrews to lock the nut after it is tight.

Reactions: camocorvette
So have you heard that they loosen? If yes where?

When the barrel falls off the operator detects this and stops shooting.

Then get a Seekins as they use two setscrews to lock the nut after it is tight.
you mean sells the pos and buys a LMT :)

Reactions: Steamroller53
I've had a couple of the M4E1 and M5E1 and the little nuts that hold the handguard on can come loose but not the barrel nut.
Thanks you for that data point. Isnt one of the selling points that a higher torque can be used on the barrel nut because of larger thread engagement ?

Thanks you for that data point. Isnt one of the selling points that a higher torque can be used on the barrel nut because of larger thread engagement ?

Now that you mention it I had a m5e1 barrel nut come loose and it was torqued to the moon. As far as I could tell there was a fundamental problem with the dimensions of the parts and the screws/screw holes. If you are building an upper I would suggest KAC URX, PRI carbon fiber or the Larue upper that has the attached handguard with 4 big screws (it's like 500$ for a 13"). The KAC URX 4 is my favorite as it is simple, lightweight and the entire thing is one piece.

• Wow
Reactions: rpoL98
Now that you mention it I had a m5e1 barrel nut come loose and it was torqued to the moon. As far as I could tell there was a fundamental problem with the dimensions of the parts and the screws/screw holes. If you are building an upper I would suggest KAC URX, PRI carbon fiber or the Larue upper that has the attached handguard with 4 big screws (it's like 500$ for a 13"). The KAC URX 4 is my favorite as it is simple, lightweight and the entire thing is one piece.
So I have a PRI and…. It has some flaws. Foremost, there is no anti rotation as it utilizes a times but with clearance. It does take some force but definitely not drop safe. The handguard collar came loose on mine, so I added a little blue loctite. That caused it to seize. According to PRI, loctite should never be used and the only way to remove it is cutting the collar off.

Thanks I’ll take a look at the other handguards.

Yes that can happen with this design. Generally requires a little more torque. I’ve had it happen on Mega MML which is the exact same design.

So I have a PRI and…. It has some flaws. Foremost, there is no anti rotation as it utilizes a times but with clearance. It does take some force but definitely not drop safe. The handguard collar came loose on mine, so I added a little blue loctite. That caused it to seize. According to PRI, loctite should never be used and the only way to remove it is cutting the collar off.

Thanks I’ll take a look at the other handguards.

I had the same problem with PRI and some grease on the threads and a little more oomph solved it. The older KAC quad rail with the big locking nut can do the same thing. Torque specs exist for a reason.

The URX 4 is all one piece. You just thread the whole thing on and use a combination of washers and oomph to get it lined up and torqued properly.

Reactions: Steamroller53
Just curious, I thought the gas tube prevented the barrel nut from coming loose on that design? Maybe they changed the design.

I am getting ready to build mine and it looks like the lugs on the nut should just barely hit the gas tube unless it is timed correctly. I know the M4E1 is not this way though.

This thread got me wondering, and I rechecked my M4E1 build. I don't remember what I torqued it to, but it's still over 35 ft/lbs.

Just curious, I thought the gas tube prevented the barrel nut from coming loose on that design? Maybe they changed the design.

I am getting ready to build mine and it looks like the lugs on the nut should just barely hit the gas tube unless it is timed correctly. I know the M4E1 is not this way though.

This thread got me wondering, and I rechecked my M4E1 build. I don't remember what I torqued it to, but it's still over 35 ft/lbs.
Yes and that gas tube is the only thing preventing the barrel nut from turning. With my medium strength hands, I can get the handguard/barrel nut to turn to either limit allowed by the clearance for the gas tube. The handguard plugs into the barrel nut and is secured by a collar. It’s old tech but pretty good for its time.
I had the same problem with PRI and some grease on the threads and a little more oomph solved it. The older KAC quad rail with the big locking nut can do the same thing. Torque specs exist for a reason.

The URX 4 is all one piece. You just thread the whole thing on and use a combination of washers and oomph to get it lined up and torqued properly.
Why don’t geissele rails get any love on the precision gas gun builds?

Last edited: