• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero M5 Oversized Barrel Extension

Jimbo1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2021
Midwest
So I'm building an aero m5 and ordering a custom barrel and I'm wondering if anyone has used an oversized barrel extension and thermal fit the barrel to the upper? I've used the steel shim and permatex sleeve retainer method on ar15s before and it turned out good but was reading about using an oversized extension instead and thermal fitting the two together. Seems like it would be so much easier than the shim method.

Any suggestions on where to order an oversized extension and what size it would need to be for the m5 upper? Thanks!

Replacing a barrel extension on a barrel with the gas port already drilled has a slim chance of success. It can also affect the headspace dimension.

Reactions: Ravenworks
As I said I've already shimmed ar15 barrels, I have plenty of shim stock and sleeve Retainer left over. Why do you think the shim method better than a thermal fitted barrel, exactly?
Buy the proper diameter of shims.
The pack comes with different thickness to help time the nut for the gas tube.

As for using shim stock and sleeve retainer?
Why create problems where there are none?
Let the barrel friction fit as is or buy an undersized upper then ream it properly to create your fit.

Quit over thinking this.

Buy the proper diameter of shims.
The pack comes with different thickness to help time the nut for the gas tube.

As for using shim stock and sleeve retainer?
Why create problems where there are none?
Let the barrel friction fit as is or buy an undersized upper then ream it properly to create your fit.

Quit over thinking this.
I'm not talking about barrel nut shims I'm talking about shimming the barrel extension so it fits tight into the upper receiver. We're not on the same page.

The shim and sleeve retainer method doesn't create any problems, but thermal fitting with an oversized extension would be easier and probably more foolproof. I'm looking to hear from those who have experience with either method

Reactions: wade2big
I'm not talking about barrel nut shims I'm talking about shimming the barrel extension so it fits tight into the upper receiver. We're not on the same page.

The shim and sleeve retainer method doesn't create any problems, but thermal fitting with an oversized extension would be easier and probably more foolproof. I'm looking to hear from those who have experience with either method
I understand what you're after.

Send your Aero upper in, spend the cash and get the extension made to fit and installed.
If you're about to tell me you are going to install the extension yourself then good luck.

And FYI shimmering the extension for timing the barrel nut has absolutely nothing with making it tight.

Jimmy , I think you have more studying to do

I understand what you're after.

Send your Aero upper in, spend the cash and get the extension made to fit and installed.
If you're about to tell me you are going to install the extension yourself then good luck.

And FYI shimmering the extension for timing the barrel nut has absolutely nothing with making it tight.

Jimmy , I think you have more studying to do
I never said anything about shimming and timing a barrel nut, you pulled that out of thin air.