• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero M5 vs M5E1 precision

Cwballistics

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
Getting parts together for a 6.5sst upper build and wondering if there is any measurable difference between the M5 and M5E1 as far as strength/rigidity and/or isolating barrel from handguard flex.

Here’s how I got here.

My usual routine is get an M5 upper and send it to mike at Dtech for truing. I prefer the forged just because they’re stronger, cheaper, and when it comes to precision, I don’t care what it looks like.
This build will be using a magnum gas system, and while researching longer handguards with a built in arca rail I came across Sgt of Arms handguards. Their website says they took more trophies in the PRS Gas Gun series than anyone else over the last couple years and their hand guards are made specifically to mount to the M5E1. So I started researching any inherent differences between the two uppers as far as precision goes. The only thing I found was a video of one of the guys from Seekins Precision talking about how thin a normal upper is at the barrel nut and how it is lacking the strength that the built-in systems like AP and Seekins have. He mentioned how loading one leg of the bipod heavier than the other can cause the handguard to flex and put pressure on the barrel nut. Made some sense. So here I am wondering if the enhanced uppers really isolate the barrel nut that much. I’m still waiting to hear back from Mike on whether he can true the enhanced uppers. If he says no, then it’s probably a non-issue for me. His cnc truing has taken more off my groups in the past than I thought possible. I don’t really trust the hand lapping truing kits like g&g or that b.a.r.t. one.

Does anybody know if the enhanced receivers are used among competition Gas Gunners? I guess when I saw that Sgt of Arms was so successful and there product was precifically geared towards prs and the m5e1, it made me curious.

Thanks

Following.
For what it’s worth, I contacted Compass Lake Engineering, since Dedicated Technologies was unavailable, to see if they could true a enhanced receiver. They are close to me and big into the service competition uppers. They have a number of records or at least they did a few years back. They said they could do the ejection port opening for me, but that they don’t true the m5e1 receivers, and that is all they use for their large frame builds. They said that they check each face for runout and have never had to true one. They also said the increase rigidity around the barrel nut is the reason that is all they use. I promptly placed the order. Makes me wonder why there aren’t many handguards made to interface with the AP enhanced. That’s why I’ve always avoided them. Since this build is a magnum, I wanted a little extra room to make sure there is no chance of gas block interference under recoil. ARCA and rigidity. Win win.

For what it’s worth, I contacted Compass Lake Engineering, since Dedicated Technologies was unavailable, to see if they could true a enhanced receiver. They are close to me and big into the service competition uppers. They have a number of records or at least they did a few years back. They said they could do the ejection port opening for me, but that they don’t true the m5e1 receivers, and that is all they use for their large frame builds. They said that they check each face for runout and have never had to true one. They also said the increase rigidity around the barrel nut is the reason that is all they use. I promptly placed the order. Makes me wonder why there aren’t many handguards made to interface with the AP enhanced. That’s why I’ve always avoided them. Since this build is a magnum, I wanted a little extra room to make sure there is no chance of gas block interference under recoil. ARCA and rigidity. Win win.
If you didnt want the ARCA and just a flat bottom rail the seekins is also a solid choice.

And Ssgt. of Arms had a crazy black friday sale, like $160 for a 17.5" m5e1 acra rail, so maybe put off the next build until next year if you want to save a couple bucks (y)

There are a few handguards that are BAR compatible for the enhanced uppers. The Sgt of Arms are where it's at for an all in one ARCA handguard. They made it to mount to the enhanced uppers from what one of their guys told me just a couple weeks ago at a match.

I currently use an enhanced handguard since they were out of stock at the time. The Quantum will be the best Aero choice if you want a full length bolt on ARCA rail. On the regular enhanced rail I have, the QD point on the bottom interferes with the rail and MLok slots don't go far enough back. With mods to either the rail or handguard it will work...I just let my ARCA rail hang forward about 2 inches.

Reactions: RickyRodney
There are a few handguards that are BAR compatible for the enhanced uppers. The Sgt of Arms are where it's at for an all in one ARCA handguard. They made it to mount to the enhanced uppers from what one of their guys told me just a couple weeks ago at a match.

I currently use an enhanced handguard since they were out of stock at the time. The Quantum will be the best Aero choice if you want a full length bolt on ARCA rail. On the regular enhanced rail I have, the QD point on the bottom interferes with the rail and MLok slots don't go far enough back. With mods to either the rail or handguard it will work...I just let my ARCA rail hang forward about 2 inches.
with he arca hanging forward 2" if you put the bipod out there is there any flex. Not to thread jack, but I have a 15" seekins and I'm tempted to go a 17.5" ssgt arms.

There may be, I don't bother that far out. It makes a good place for a Magneto mount though and protects my gas block with +2 gas.

On topic, if I remember correct, Spike's also makes a BAR compatible handguard.

I thought about the seekins even though I don’t care for their look, but I already had the m5e1 and I didn’t want billet for this build. At first, I really just wanted a nice flat surface, but wasn’t happy with the weight of ARCA rail. Now I’m going all in on my first wildcat, so I’m going to start the move to ARCA. I probably wouldn’t be going out of my way for it, but it all sort of came together quickly, which was nice. This will be the first gun I’ve ever even thought about using a tripod or anything besides a 6-9 bipod.

Sorry to necro, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask: does anyone have apples-to-apples grouping comparisons for the M5 vs M5E1? Does the extra weight/bulk around the barrel nut actually buy the system any performance, and if so, how much?

Last edited:
Sorry to necro, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask: does anyone have apples-to-apples grouping comparisons for the M5 vs M5E1? Does the extra weight/bulk around the barrel nut actually buy the system any performance, and if so, how much?

I own both enhanced and non-enhanced from Aero. Personally, I would recommend going with a standard upper and a quality handguard of your choice.

I know most people don't swap barrels and rails often, but I went through a period where I was chasing accuracy in my AR10 trying to tinker with torque specs, barrels, gas blocks, etc to squeeze every bit of accuracy. One of the times I went to pull the rail off 2 of the screws that secure the handguard to the rail had the head of the screw break off completely. It was a nightmare to salvage my barrel.

After that experience I prefer standard uppers with something like an SLR handguard or even Midwest Industries. I think those types of barrel nuts are much stronger, simpler, and have chonky machine screws and a tight lockup.

If you really want an enhanced upper, I'd say look at a Seekins upper build kit. https://seekinsprecision.com/parts-accessories/uppers-lowers/seekins-precision-irmt-3-upper.html

Reactions: AwkwardlySocial
I own both enhanced and non-enhanced from Aero. Personally, I would recommend going with a standard upper and a quality handguard of your choice.

I know most people don't swap barrels and rails often, but I went through a period where I was chasing accuracy in my AR10 trying to tinker with torque specs, barrels, gas blocks, etc to squeeze every bit of accuracy. One of the times I went to pull the rail off 2 of the screws that secure the handguard to the rail had the head of the screw break off completely. It was a nightmare to salvage my barrel.

After that experience I prefer standard uppers with something like an SLR handguard or even Midwest Industries. I think those types of barrel nuts are much stronger, simpler, and have chonky machine screws and a tight lockup.

If you really want an enhanced upper, I'd say look at a Seekins upper build kit. https://seekinsprecision.com/parts-accessories/uppers-lowers/seekins-precision-irmt-3-upper.html
Thanks so much for this perspective! You've actually cut right to the heart of my dilemma. I am specifically looking at the SLR handguard and I was wondering how much accuracy potential I'd be sacrificing if I go with the regular M5 (to enable SLR handguard compatibility) vs the proprietary M5E1 system. Seems like you're telling me that the M5E1 system is less tolerant of the "tinkering" required maximize those accuracy gains.

So: I'm moving forward confidently with the M5/SLR build. Thanks again!

Reactions: Billiam1211
I love my SLR Ion handguard. There’s no doubt the quality on those is top notch. You’ll be happy with the SLR rail.

Funny thing is m5e1 is super accurate now after I rebuilt it with new parts, but I’m consciously not touching it until the proof barrel is shot out. Once it’s done, I’m tossing the screws and ordering replacements.

Reactions: AwkwardlySocial