• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero solus- Bergara or........ prs/nrl hunter

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    I'm looking at doing some local prs and nrl hunter matches. There is a new range with matches going up like 20 min away figured I would try it. I'm looking at a cheaper rifle that will do well for me and hopes of just shooting factory ammo.

Right now I run a arc nucleus gen 2 LA whiskey 3 gen 6 but that rifle is setup for the nightforce and weighs 23 pounds. So looking for something lighter and less recoil I shoot a 30 nosler.

Options- just grab a different barrel for my Arc and run it hard to come by 10 rd mags in the long action.

Get a light short 30 nosler barrel and deal with recoil

Or maybe get a bergara aero solus rifle ect. And shoot factory ammo

I bought a Solus action and currently having it built with a 16” 308. For PRS I’d do a Solus 6.5cm rifle. For the money just to throw a scope on and go it’s hard to beat.

Bergara has treated me really well but the barrel heats up really quick and groups open up a little after 10rds. 300wm ymmv.

If you have a Nucleus you’ll be better off buying a new barrel(and bolt head if needed) in whatever you want

budget?

i'd still recommend origin, 6.5CM proof prefit, Bravo or chassis/stock of choice. or tikka ctr 6.5CM in a bravo. getting a nucleus to match the LA isn't a bad idea just gonna spend more on a barrel than a proof prefit

i can't really think of any cartridges besides 6.5PRC with decent factory match ammo i'd want to run in a long action, and even then meh

30 Nosler won't even fly at a normal PRS/NRL Hunter/WyCo match anyways. and you'd hate yourself after 80 rounds. and the barrel would hate you even more

also...23 pounds isn't that heavy for PRS/WyCo. NRL Hunter obvi is very different weight requirements and either needs a carbon/pencil barrel or a rather expensive chassis/stock

Nrl hunter has weight limit of 16 pounds not sure I could cut enough weight. Yeah the 30 nosler would go fast in 10 rds. I know hunter they say 30 cal and under 3200 and less for speed I think. These will be mainly local matches not sure how big they will get over time. I know there is a hunter match in eastern Colorado linden I want to try next year. Not looking to go crazy my main thing I like is more nightforce challenge well first year going but what I think I like best. Don't want to change rifle much.

Budget is cheap as possible haha not looking for anything crazy the aero solus is on sale for $1799 6.5 creedmoor

yeah it's cheap...but look how quickly the Solus threads died because no one here is buying them...compared to the CDG. not a bergara fan but i'd probably pick one of them before the aero right now. and i'd take a tikka over either. or some of the seekins options even if i didn't want to do a full build

figure out what weight you can realistically hit with the current long action setup sans barrel. and figure out what you have left for barrel weight.

you can feed something like a 6.5CM/6.5PRC from long action and those will be good enough for NRL Hunter use. not ideal. but with tweaking they should work. factory ammo puts something like a 284/280AI out of the equation

you can also just shoot NRL Hunter in skills and weight doesn't matter

I do reload and setup for it well but figured mine as go factory for it. But I think weight in my rifle will be a struggle. I forgot about the skills part where that doesn't matter.

I know some guys running 6.5 PRC in LA Nucleus actions and they like them a lot. The feed well but these guys aren’t doing PRS or anything too serious.

Manners LRH with Mini Chassis - $1400

Or MDT HNT 26 Chassis on sale $1450

X-Caliber CF Prefit - $700 with barrel nut

Total - $2100

If you are fine with spending $1800 on the aero pony up the couple hundred extra to buy the good stuff to rebuild the current rifle. Then down the road all you need is a scope, trigger and action for a second rifle if you decide to get more into the NRL matches.

I found a 10 rd 300 win mag magazine. That could work maybe do a 6.5 prc or 25 prc down load them help with life. All my reloading components are n565 n568 and mag primers. See how I like it and see what happens

Just an update I ended up buying a 6.5 cm bergara premier barreled action for a great deal and going to put it in a bravo. I haven't shot it yet because still waiting on everything. I do have to say I really like the action so far I don't see it much different than the tenacity action I had. I will find out how it runs once I shoot it.

Just an update I ended up buying a 6.5 cm bergara premier barreled action for a great deal and going to put it in a bravo. I haven't shot it yet because still waiting on everything. I do have to say I really like the action so far I don't see it much different than the tenacity action I had. I will find out how it runs once I shoot it.
    I think you will be very happy with the Bergara Premier action. I have a couple, and find them incredibly well made. Cleaning and disassembling the bolt on the Premier is very well engineered. I also have an Impact 737r and often go between the 2.

Where did you pick up the barreled action, and which barrel did it come with?

I think you will be very happy with the Bergara Premier action. I have a couple, and find them incredibly well made. Cleaning and disassembling the bolt on the Premier is very well engineered. I also have an Impact 737r and often go between the 2.

Where did you pick up the barreled action, and which barrel did it come with?
    I bought it used. It was a hmr pro