• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Ultralight mount for 308

Squad51

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
Is the Aero Ultralight 34mm mount strong enough for a 308? I like the light weight and price, but concerned its not thick enough for heavy recoil. Will go on a 308 AR10 with a Vortex SE 3-18 (26 oz). This will be a range toy and possibly occasional hog hunting rifle.

I have that mount and I'd probably spend a little more and get a better budget mount.

The Vortex Pro 34mm cantilever mount for example

or the Warne MSR mount who probably make them for Vortex

Reactions: Squad51
Nope. I've used the Aero on my 308 gas gun and upgrading the mount to something more sturdy made a definite difference. In my case I went with a Scalarworks LEAP08 (or LEAP09 for 34mm tubes) on the AR and an American Rifle Company mount on the bolt gun which is probably the best mount out there albeit a bit on the heavy side.

I have the Aero on a 223 and an 18 oz 1-8X - seems fine for that application, but I bought a NF Ultralight for my 308 gasser with a 2lb scope.

Had one on an AR (.223) with a SWFA 6X and the scope continually slipped in the rings. Couldn’t get them/keep them tight enough. Even put a slight dent in the scope. It finally occurred me at the range I hadn’t lock tited the rings (I did do the base portion), but when I got home I swapped it out for a set of non-cantilever Burris rings and no trouble since.
It might be okay with loc tite and maybe a lighter scope, but mine’s been in the spare parts box ever since.

Thank you all for the replies. I will get something stronger. I like the Vortex Pro.