• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable .223 plinking bullets

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I am new to the AR platform and am waiting for my .223 dies and brass to arrive to begin reloading. I plan to use 50gr Vmax for coyotes but I am looking for an economical option for plinking bullets. I shoot iron sights only, so I am not looking for that last .1 MOA in accuracy.

I would prefer something that, current panic aside, is typically readily available.

Re: Affordable .223 plinking bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about these? http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/product_details.php?category_id=28&item_id=343 </div></div>

mscott, do you have any experience with these? The marking looks extreme...I don't need benchrest accuracy but I don't want a shotgun pattern at 100 yard either. I'm curious what real life experience with these is?

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBUtah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've bought from Everglades and RMR. Both provide good but economical .223 bullets

The problem is demand right now is way over the top of supply. </div></div>

Thanks for the links.

Yes, everyone is out now...I've got enough to get me by until some panic settles down. That's why I'm asking the question, it's harder to compare when everyone is out of stock (and some sites remove the items out of stock).

I've never used those, but found them a couple days ago. I have used the .30 cal pulled bullets from them and they work fine. Those marks do look a bit harsh, but as long as you aren't putting them through a can I wouldn't worry.

With any luck the supplies will catch up in the next week or 2 and then everyone can settle down.

Midway sells some varmint bullets in bulk for what seems like a reasonable price. I *think* I saw that the current production is made by Nosler.

Richard

It doesnt get much cheaper than the VMAX bullets. They're very affordable in 22 cal. If you want to save some money buy the zombie max version. They are absolutely identical to the VMAX except for the color of the tip. They run about $60-65 per 500.

55 gr hornady FMJ, I have loaded about 15,000 of these and consider them the best all around value

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesnt get much cheaper than the VMAX bullets. They're very affordable in 22 cal. If you want to save some money buy the zombie max version. They are absolutely identical to the VMAX except for the color of the tip. They run about $60-65 per 500. </div></div>

They are definitely a great choice for a lower cost bullet, and they are very very similar to the VMAX, but they are not exactly the same. The few cross sections I have seen showed the ZMAX to have a thicker jacket (and the loaded rounds seem to use different powder than the loaded VMAX, but we aren't really talking about that).

Midsouth Shooters Supply has their Varmint Nightmare brand. In general these are available. Very recently they have been out. In talking with them, they may have more product availability towards the end of January. That will be entirely dependent on how quickly this run dies out.

The best buy is the 2000 55gr SP for $157.07 plus shipping (typically $15). I was planning to pick up a couple of these, but they sold out.

They do have the 55gr HP right now (just bought 2k and my buddy bought 4k). They are very decent plinking rounds at $100 shipped per thousand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: capreppy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midsouth Shooters Supply has their Varmint Nightmare brand. In general these are available. Very recently they have been out. In talking with them, they may have more product availability towards the end of January. That will be entirely dependent on how quickly this run dies out.

The best buy is the 2000 55gr SP for $157.07 plus shipping (typically $15). I was planning to pick up a couple of these, but they sold out.

They do have the 55gr HP right now (just bought 2k and my buddy bought 4k). They are very decent plinking rounds at $100 shipped per thousand. </div></div>

Just to clarify, you CAN buy MidSouth's, I just checked...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdc0589</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesnt get much cheaper than the VMAX bullets. They're very affordable in 22 cal. If you want to save some money buy the zombie max version. They are absolutely identical to the VMAX except for the color of the tip. They run about $60-65 per 500. </div></div>

They are definitely a great choice for a lower cost bullet, and they are very very similar to the VMAX, but they are not exactly the same. The few cross sections I have seen showed the ZMAX to have a thicker jacket (and the loaded rounds seem to use different powder than the loaded VMAX, but we aren't really talking about that). </div></div>

I don't know about what they look like on the inside as I've never been one to cut up a good bullet but they perform identical. I use the same data for both bullets and not only do they shoot the same POI but they also group identical. I can shoot 5 rounds of a mixture of them into the same hole and you couldn't tell that all of the tips weren't the same color. They also both perform the same on the game I've shot with them recently.

$12/100 > $16/100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about what they look like on the inside as I've never been one to cut up a good bullet but they perform identical. I use the same data for both bullets and not only do they shoot the same POI but they also group identical. I can shoot 5 rounds of a mixture of them into the same hole and you couldn't tell that all of the tips weren't the same color. They also both perform the same on the game I've shot with them recently.</div></div>

Thanks; good to know. I assumed performance would be the same/similar, but yours was the first actual confirmation I had seen (may be well known around here, but I'm pretty new).