• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable 308 for plinking fun?

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
For those Sunday afternoon days when you're just out to have some fun and not worrying about competing or achieving record breaking accuracy, what .308 ammo brands do you use?

Besides accuracy, are there any other downsides to using cheap ammo like Wolf?

Last edited:
Academy Sports here locally has the Remington 700 ADL for $369.00. You can't buy a 700 action for that from Brownell's. 'Plink" away with it and if you ever want to upgrade, the sky is the limit with the 700 action...
for "plinking" any ammo will do....I personally like to stick with brass cases....just can't get my mind around steel case touching steel chamber....

Can't go wrong with a Remington 700 varmint. My rifle is hardly in factory form now but with handloads I'm a .6 moa rifle all day, and when the barrel is "in" I've shot .3-.4 moa out to 700yds. Best thing to improve accuracy is improving yourself as a shooter.

Academy Sports here locally has the Remington 700 ADL for $369.00. You can't buy a 700 action for that from Brownell's. 'Plink" away with it and if you ever want to upgrade, the sky is the limit with the 700 action...
for "plinking" any ammo will do....I personally like to stick with brass cases....just can't get my mind around steel case touching steel chamber....

Can steel cased ammo like Wolf damage the rifle?

I am using a Remington 700 Tactical for my entry into the longer Range shooting. Picked it up for a hair under $700.

for plinking and you don't care about accuracy...wolf is hard to beat. Also, the Peruvian battle pack isn't bad either...I've had some Czechoslovakian battle packs that have been very good. In both cases, you need to clean your barrel very well as it wasn't very clean....

If you go battle pack ammo, you'll want to weigh each bullet and group accordingly...accuracy is based on weight.

Downside...crap accuracy when compared to handloads or quality ammo. Also, very dirty.

This is a 5 round group @ 100yds - SA Battle Pack dated 1980...for plinking, steel, or, if your in serious pinch it would work and is acceptable.

90rubk.jpg

AvsFan:cool:

that Prvi Partizan "match" 168's or 175's is actually decent to plink with...I used it in a match once, when I was caught in a pinch. It is cheap enough but still decently consistent.

that Prvi Partizan "match" 168's or 175's is actually decent to plink with...

I have seen some crazy inconsistency from this ammo. On occasion, I can stitch together a nice 0.75 MOA 5-shot group - and then it'll open up to ~2 MOA for the next few groups. Weird stuff. I've been meaning to pull apart the remaining ~30 rounds that I have on-hand to weigh the powder charges, but this is pretty low on the priority list.

Bought some Malaysian surplus and it was 1" groups at 100 yds. I was happy with it.
I wouldn't use any steel lacquered cases in any of my guns.

I've heard the bullets themselves are pretty inconsistent. Fixing the powder might still help, but probably not as much as you'd like.

For a good "plinking" rifle on the cheap id go with a CZ 527, not a .308 but, for cost of ammo and the gun they're pretty fun.

the steel ammo is fine its gonna be alittle more dirty and not gonna put out match grade groups also the steel cases are softer the the steel in your chamber but if you do run steel just clean your chamber befor you run brass or the case could get stuck in your chamber

The PPU white box stuff that AIM was getting in for $9.50/20 was a good deal last year, its all re-loadable brass and great for plinking.
I can generally get about 7-10 loads from the brass too.

I wouldn't shoot steel cased stuff in a rifle that I have $3k into, its really retard logic...