• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable red dots for use with magnifier

TryLikeHell

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2023
Texas
I've got a Sightmark Wolverine red dot, like the AA lithium battery and it's not too bad without a magnifier, but magnified the dot is showing 2 to 3 possible centers (distorted) is there a red dot that has a crisp non distorted recticle that doesn't startlight or football shape. Using an AR, I can hit 8" steel at 300 yards about every other shot without the magnifier, but wanted that edge to see a bit better. I didn't see a current thread on this issue, any help appreciated.

Have you considered not being poor?

Probably a PA MD25 or the equivelant Holosun would be your best bet.

If your really hoping to do good work with a red dot out to 300 I would highly recommend saving up for at least an AEMS core.

Do some research on Romeo 5. Generally a good red dot at a reasonable price for most people. Otherwise holosun. If you search those you may find something. Pending it’s not your magnifier

I’ve used a lot of Romeo 5 with good luck. Never looked through one with magnifier though

Reactions: jb0311
Appreciate it. I've seen quite a few people with the Holosun. With red dots up to 800.00 it's hard to know where decent quality begins.

If you want a range gun the sig and holosun are good options.

Otherwise something like the Aimpoint rds or PRO are great options

Reactions: TryLikeHell
That is a good deal. I've got a 5x magnifier with great focus adjustment and I like the CR123 batt for the Holosun and it's shake away function. That should sell pretty fast I'd think. Thank you though for the lead

Reactions: jb0311
I have used a Vortex Sparc AR, Trijicon MRO, and Holosun 510c in front of my Vortex Micro 3x. To my eyes (which have astigmatism) the Holosun looked best. But the best image is my Eotech EXPS 3-0. If you’re unhappy with your Holosun, you might need to step up to Eotech. You could always start with a used 512 to see what you think.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Holosun that comes with high and low mounts. It should be a step up. 👍
Poor or rich, the Holosun 510C magnifier combo is a phenomenal set up. I have a few sets. One rifle with combo took a hop off the ranger after hitting a washout rut going 20mph on a gravel road. Banged and scratched, but no real damage and no ZERO change! Amazing!

What you're seeing may be an astigmatism and not the optic at all.

Eotech is the only one that won't look goofy with an astigmatism.

I'm lucky that any decent pair of polarized shooting glasses kills the multiple dots for me right now, but I see nothing but crazy without glasses unless I'm using an eotech.

Reactions: FredHammer
What you're seeing may be an astigmatism and not the optic at all.

Eotech is the only one that won't look goofy with an astigmatism.

I'm lucky that any decent pair of polarized shooting glasses kills the multiple dots for me right now, but I see nothing but crazy without glasses unless I'm using an eotech.
All the dots starburst on me unless I have at least 1.5 magnification. The 3X magnifier makes a crisp single dot for me.

Aww did I trigger you with my reply that you're no part of?
Maybe you need thicker skin.
But seriously, someone saying have you considered not being poor is BS. We all try to do our best. You have no idea what others have been through.

Whatever man. You are new here. Plain and simple. Deal with it. Go cry in the corner because your feelings were hurt…..

And saying “poor” on this site is an inside joke which you would have no clue because you are new.

Reactions: FredHammer
I don't care if Im new anywhere, rude and smartass is what it is. I don't put up with it, if I get banned I get banned. Treat me fair I treat you fair. Deal whit it

anyone who is using a red dot and doesn't get a clear image due to astigmatism use you back up iron sight. when looking through your back up iron sight the dot will become clear. if I ever use a red dot without magnification my rear back up is alway in the up position. it is amazing the difference.

I don't care if Im new anywhere, rude and smartass is what it is. I don't put up with it, if I get banned I get banned. Treat me fair I treat you fair. Deal whit it

Lighten up Francis.

If respect to you means you don't ever talk shit, I want no part of it.

Then again my friends and I usually greet each other with a nice fuck you, so maybe my skin is just iron?

anyone who is using a red dot and doesn't get a clear image due to astigmatism use you back up iron sight. when looking through your back up iron sight the dot will become clear. if I ever use a red dot without magnification my rear back up is alway in the up position. it is amazing the difference.
Experience can not be replaced. Astigmatism is a possibility. Without the magnifier I didn't notice an issue.

I've got an Aimpoint H-2 w/a Eotech 3x mag behind it on one of my HK 762's. I got Eotech EXSP-2 or whatever the hell it's called on one of my shotguns. All were expensive and I got 'em years ago.

But then again there's the tried and true cliche... "how much is your life worth"

The Aimpoint I can leave on 4 yrs. though I change my battery once a year and both it and the Eotech mag are tanks that seem like they're going to go on forever.

Some folks call the Eotech EXSP-2 an antique, it might be, and you have to keep changing the battery, and U have to take the time to turn it on, but mine's paid for, has never quit, and what's great about it is very intuitive w/the "circle of death", AND the fact that if U practice enough w/it, it can quit and U can still shoot accurately, I know because I practice shooting w/it off.

To be honest, I think there's gear that's come up that's I'd consider getting that'd be a different choice than what've I now got.
I'm just not willing to hedge on dependability for the sake of saving my life, which is the bottom line.

What I've been considering (but not definite about it yet) is the Primary Arms RDS w/the etched ACSS reticle (shake and awake if I remember correctly), so if the thing goes out U can still use the etched reticle for a great deal less money than I paid for the Aimpoint and Eotech gear.

And I might also talk myself into getting another Eotech w/a green laser for one of my other shotguns. Yeah, short battery, but U don't have to look for the "dot" which can on occasion get lost in the background.

They've got some great new RDS w/extended battery life and/or w/the shake awake feature, U pick up UR long gun, and it "goes on".

Good luck.and WELCOME

Opt1-AVers20214-WZZZ4-E.jpg

DLevel-New-Years4-WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Lighten up Francis.

If respect to you means you don't ever talk shit, I want no part of it.

Then again my friends and I usually greet each other with a nice fuck you, so maybe my skin is just iron?
Then don't have a part of it. I didn't make you post in this thread, you felt the need to.
Ignore me if you're capable.

Reactions: Convex
I've got an Aimpoint H-2 w/a Eotech 3x mag behind it on one of my HK 762's. I got Eotech EXSP-2 or whatever the hell it's called on one of my shotguns. All were expensive and I got 'em years ago.

But then again there's the tried and true cliche... "how much is your life worth"

The Aimpoint I can leave on 4 yrs. though I change my battery once a year and both it and the Eotech mag are tanks that seem like they're going to go on forever.

Some folks call the Eotech EXSP-2 an antique, it might be, and you have to keep changing the battery, and U have to take the time to turn it on, but mine's paid for, has never quit, and what's great about it is very intuitive w/the "circle of death", AND the fact that if U practice enough w/it, it can quit and U can still shoot accurately, I know because I practice shooting w/it off.

To be honest, I think there's gear that's come up that's I'd consider getting that'd be a different choice than what've I now got.
I'm just not willing to hedge on dependability for the sake of saving my life, which is the bottom line.

What I've been considering (but not definite about it yet) is the Primary Arms RDS w/the etched ACSS reticle (shake and awake if I remember correctly), so if the thing goes out U can still use the etched reticle for a great deal less money than I paid for the Aimpoint and Eotech gear.

And I might also talk myself into getting another Eotech w/a green laser for one of my other shotguns. Yeah, short battery, but U don't have to look for the "dot" which can on occasion get lost in the background.

They've got some great new RDS w/extended battery life and/or w/the shake awake feature, U pick up UR long gun, and it "goes on".

Good luck.and WELCOME

Opt1-AVers20214-WZZZ4-E.jpg

DLevel-New-Years4-WEB.jpg
Solid info. The EOtech seems to be the best. You usually get what you pay for. I still try to balance out the things necessary in life and things I want. Thanks man.

No problem.

The Eotech is big/clunky/U have to turn it on/short battery life, despite that, I've had mine close to 7/8 years I think (the Eotech/Aimpoint show no signs of quiting). What balances all of that to a great deal for the Eotech, is just how quick/intuitive it is. Grab your long gun, the circle is immediately on the threat to center mass.

There is later gear as I've suggested that's come along that have all the "bells/whistle", the only question is dependability/durability.

The good thing is that I've already sprung for the gear above, so I can take a couple of "risks" on newer gear, and come what may, I can fall back on what I know I can depend on.

Reactions: TryLikeHell