• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable Savage Stock Options?

Re: Affordable Savage Stock Options?

The affordable ones I've seen for Savage are the B&C and choate. From there the ones I like are the Mcree and Manners but a huge jump in price.

I have a Choate tactical on a home built stevens 260 with CDI DBM. My preferences I like the choate over the B&C. Just my opinion. The rifle has even been used in a few comps.

You don't mention your budget. But you could also pick up a used Manners or McMillan as they come along here on the hide pretty often.

You can easily modify the factory stock to make it fairly rigid. I added a steel rod to the stock valley, and encased it in epoxy. I have been using it this way for a while now, but I have a Manners MCS-T waiting on me to get the funds there.

I much prefer the Choate stock to the B&C by far, should you decide to go that route. I prefer Manners over all others!!

DK

Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist; excellent stock but kinda heavy with (IMO) fairly poor forearm ergonomics.

Sent an email to B&C a couple weeks ago if they had any plans to make the A2 Medalist for the 110 long action or the M40/A3/A5 Medalists for any type of Savage action; the response was an unequivocal NO.

So I save my pennies and count the weeks until my MCS-T shows up.

Here's a list I made up. If you know of any other Savage stock company's I'll update the list.

Ashbury International (APO) - Savage 110BA
McRees Precision- Savage 10, 12, with 110 in works
PDC- Savage 10, 12, 110 (110 non DM) and rimfire
Manners- All actions and rimfire
McMillan- All actions
XLR- All actions
JP Rifles- Savage 10
H-S Precision- Savage 10, 12, 110
SSS- All actions pus rimfire
Bell and Carlson- Savage 10, 110
Stockade- All actions
Boyds- Savage 10, 110 and rimfire
Choate- Savage 10, 110
Hogue- Savage 10, 110
Richards Microfit- All actions and rimfire
Russo- Savage 10, 12, 110
CSS- Savage 12
Accurate Innovations- Savage 10
MPI Stocks- Savage 10, 110
Revolution stocks- Savage 10, 110 and rimfire
Accuracy International- Savage 10 in works
Eberlstock- Savage 10 rumoured
Roedale- Savage 10 rumoured

I just installed a Bell and Carlson DuraMaxx on my Savage 110 Heavy Barrel .300 Win Mag. Not too impressed with the factory mounting (forward action bolt didn't even have an aluminum insert). I'll form an official opinion after I shoot it and see what it groups.

As for ergonomics and general quality though... DRASTIC improvement over that rubbery plastic Savage stock.

I have a Savage .308 s/a 10 FP. I asked this same question a few weeks ago. I ended up picking up a B&C medalist tactical/varmint used here on the hide for pretty inexpensive. I like it a lot so far. It's a huge improvement from the original stock, very comfortable and much more ergonomic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtwoodson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are any of the factory Savage stocks worth a hoot? </div></div>

No

eta: the exceptions are the 10FCP-McM and 10/110FCP-HS, the accustock is nothing to get excited about.

Just watch the Accesories for sale forum here and one will pop up sooner or later. I got my MCM A5 there for a good price and I have seen others. I have the B&C and while it is a decent stock, once you shoot with quality, you probably won't have nay trouble paying for it next time.