• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable Tripod + head

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Wanting something I can use on a farm to clear some brush watching for coyotes and also for some hobby level local matches. Was thinking of getting a Hog Saddle for now. Nothing fancy or high speed necessary but light weight+semi robust would be nice. Dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Suggestions?

Reactions: demolitionman
Pig Saddle is great for the money, it’s cheaper than the Hog Saddle.

It'd be helpful if you could state your budget.
Also could you provide some more information on what platforms you are running? Strickly for shooting or glassing / spotting as well? What attachment method do you prefer? Arca, pic rail etc.

Reactions: jLorenzo
It'd be helpful if you could state your budget.
Also could you provide some more information on what platforms you are running? Strickly for shooting or glassing / spotting as well? What attachment method do you prefer? Arca, pic rail etc.
cheaper is better sub 300 would be nice. Probably will run a Pig saddle, dont need any direct attachment. Will run ARs and Bolt guns. Would be nice to run a spotter sometimes if I want.

With that kind of budget, you should look at the PIG0311-G Field Shooting Tripod and Hog saddle. But you'll need to add in a good quality ball head so it might stretch your budget a little. something like the Leofoto LH-30 or LH-40 should do you fine. Might be worth keeping an eye out on the PX

Watch PX for used gear.

Cheapest budget tripod is gonna be the Innorel off Amazon. Either the 80 or 90.

Pig Saddle and Shadow Tech tripod is a solid option as well.

Get a ball head and put a plate on the pig saddle to swap with glass.

Wanting something I can use on a farm to clear some brush watching for coyotes and also for some hobby level local matches. Was thinking of getting a Hog Saddle for now. Nothing fancy or high speed necessary but light weight+semi robust would be nice. Dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Suggestions?

John

I have a PIGlite tripod with a Sunwayfoto ball head and a Pig Saddle for when I want to mount a rifle on it.

Not high end and probably would be sneered at by the serious competition boys, but very, very serviceable and does what I need for mounting observation optics or a rifle.

Bumping to see if anyone else has any recomendations. For what Im going to do (plink over tall grass at a farm) spending a ton doesnt make sense but it does need to hold the weight of a rifle.

I have a 0311g tripod from pig saddle and it seems to work well doing similar things to what you stated. It is a little heavy, but not crazy if you aren’t carrying it super far

My Pig Lite set up for observation. Sunfoto ball heads (good one on the tripod, small cheaper one for RF). Spotting scope is ARCA clamped right to the MUB bridge. I'm very happy with it.

How much does your gun weight? I believe that the Pig Lite is good to 24 lbs.

1622041021826.jpeg

Bumping to see if anyone else has any recomendations. For what Im going to do (plink over tall grass at a farm) spending a ton doesnt make sense but it does need to hold the weight of a rifle.
I just got my Pig Saddle and Pig Field tripod yesterday. I don't have a ball head yet but the tripod is solid.

Since 90% of what I'm going to be doing is rimfire right now, I decided to go with cheap stuff to see how that works. If anything I can use it for spotting equipment. Possibly will upgrade the ball head if need be but we shall see.