• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Afghanistan AR15 cartridge?

bustin

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2008
There has been a lot of talk about rifles to fight longer distances in AF. They are using some 308s but they are a little heavier than what some want being 2 lbs more than a AR15. What about a 6mm 95gr SMK with a BC of .480 doing about 2800 from a 16-18" barrel?
Much better long range and terminal performance than a 5.56, the SMK could easily pass approval for a legal projectile.
The 6x41 is a necked down 6.8 but not like the 6mmWOA, the 6 WOA cannot fire 95smks from a mag, the 6x41 can. A 95SMk at 2800 will have better exterior ballistics than a 308 with 175s but would not have the barrier performance that a 308 has.

Re: Afghanistan AR15 cartridge?

Are you asking a question or pointing out the ballistics of a 6mm?

You could go on all day trying to point out effective rounds for the military.

The military already has a piss load of .308rds available. They should just give everyone that has an M4 a piston driven short barreled AR10. Then they would have a more reliable rifle, with a harder hitting round. No working up ballistics on a new cartridge. It would be easier, cheaper and more effective if that were to happen. But it won't because you'd have pogs bitching about a rifle that weighs a pound or two more and kicks.

Adopting a new caliber on a large scale won't happen during wartime. I doubt it will happen until technology obsoletes the bass cartridge.

New weapon ? ….. not going to happen for quite some time due to the current and future military budget constraints. The M4 will be the primary weapon of choice for us. Even SOCOM dropped the SCAR-16 and will purchase additional SCAR-17 variants, more MK-13 Enhanced Grenade Launchers, and a newly-designated Mk-20 Sniper Support Rifle. Because "The SCAR-16 does not provide enough of a performance advantage over the M-4 to justify spending USSOCOM’s limited … funds when competing priorities are taken into consideration" USSOCOM Official In addition, with the adoption and production of the Army's new M855A1 round definitely not going to happen. The 5.56mm is here to stay for some time.

My 02 Cents

6mmar.com is a place you should look around.
I personally like the 22ar cartridge.
One could build a 16" carbine that gets 80 a-max's out to 1000 yards SS with minimal additional recoil.

A belt fed 260 rem would also be a quick fix.
NOBODY understands how the military works, it's a secret.

I'd say we're cartridge committed at this point.
The 5.56, with 77's, or the 70 VLD can go a long ways, and still deliver.

Also the Hague convention only forbids "naughty" bullets when used against a uniformed military, not an insurgency.
We should be using the nastiest bullets we can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you asking a question or pointing out the ballistics of a 6mm?

You could go on all day trying to point out effective rounds for the military.

</div></div>

just keep posting, even if it is only the occasional weather report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adopting a new caliber on a large scale won't happen during wartime. I doubt it will happen until technology obsoletes the bass cartridge. </div></div>

+1 Until they invent some sort of caseless round or a laser rifle, the AR is here to stay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mmar.com is a place you should look around.
I personally like the 22ar cartridge.
One could build a 16" carbine that gets 80 a-max's out to 1000 yards SS with minimal additional recoil.

A belt fed 260 rem would also be a quick fix.
NOBODY understands how the military works, it's a secret.

I'd say we're cartridge committed at this point.
The 5.56, with 77's, or the 70 VLD can go a long ways, and still deliver.

Also the Hague convention only forbids "naughty" bullets when used against a uniformed military, not an insurgency.
We should be using the nastiest bullets we can. </div></div>
They already have a handful of 6.8 SAWs in Iraq so we know the 6.8 case will work. They have said the Grendel/6mmAR would not, it's too short for the belts.
In most of the articles I have seen the mil is asking for a lighter platform and ammo, and one reason they are testing the caseless ammo.
I already have a 6x41 in testing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy everyone FAL's like they shooda did in the 60's, just sayin. </div></div>
2 countries adopted the M14 - US and Taiwan
90 adopted the FAL

I agree with you, a 16" FAL with the ability to convert to .260 in the future?

By the way .... the M1 Garand and the Pattern 14 (as the Pattern 1913) were both originally designed for the .276.

A-stan isn't forever. We still have jungles, woodlands, etc around the globe to have our fighting men ready to engage the enemy in. I am not sure that in the history of our "global" military we have EVER had a single issue infantry weapon that was globally applied.

Personally I like all of the companies & people trying to find/develop the next big thing for the U.S. Military as it provides many wonderful options for my gun addiction. I don't know enough about the process to guess how/where/when they might change or adopt new/different stuff but it is fun to be on the sidelines to decide what I want next
smile.gif

If you look back all the way to WW1 you will see there have been many attemts to change not only the issue weapon for the military, but also the ammo for that platform. Many have come up with the latest greatest only to have it shot down by some high up on the food change that ignors all the data and goes with his personal choice. Not what is best for the guy on the ground to kill better with. Everyone is well aware of the M1 vs M14 vs FN LAR. The US pushed for NATO to go with the 7.62x51mm, only to go with the 5.56mm. We al know that the 5.56mm needs to maintain a given FPS to preform as needed, but the powers that be issue Joe a rifle with a 14" barrel. We all know what works at killing bad guys, but the chain of command fucks the guy on the ground every time. The fault is the military could have X Y or Z. but the TRUE fault is with the men who make the poor choices to equip thoes that fight.

6.8x43 with the 95gr TSX....

I wont be holding my breath... 5.56 and 7.62x51 are not going anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look back all the way to WW1 you will see there have been many attemts to change not only the issue weapon for the military, but also the ammo for that platform. Many have come up with the latest greatest only to have it shot down by some high up on the food change that ignors all the data and goes with his personal choice. Not what is best for the guy on the ground to kill better with. Everyone is well aware of the M1 vs M14 vs FN LAR. The US pushed for NATO to go with the 7.62x51mm, only to go with the 5.56mm. We al know that the 5.56mm needs to maintain a given FPS to preform as needed, but the powers that be issue Joe a rifle with a 14" barrel. We all know what works at killing bad guys, but the chain of command fucks the guy on the ground every time. The fault is the military could have X Y or Z. but the TRUE fault is with the men who make the poor choices to equip thoes that fight. </div></div>
Agree 100%- IF I was the guy making that decision I would want to shoot and test the cartridge myself, wouldn't you?