• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Africa - Elephants!!!

MikeeBooshay

Recoil Sponge
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Houston TX and Hackberry LA
Leaving for Africa tomorrow, going to shoot a big ole elephant! Other things on list are Kudu, a couple different Zebra's, and who knows what else.

My PH and I were Skyping last week, he says, "Mike, we have to make a small change in plan. It will cost you 30 minutes more flight time each way ( charter from Windhoek ), but you will not mind. Rather than hunt nearer to the Kalahari, I have a chance to take you to the Caprivi Strip. Would that be OK?"

Oh yes, that will be fine. Bigger better ele slipping across from Botswana, yeah, I can live with that. And being on the river, we can fish, look for hippo, crocs, whatever. And like.... it's the Caprivi, old school safari area.

I just wanna be Hemingway for a couple weeks...... I'll update pics to this thread, when internets are available.

Re: Africa - Elephants!!!

Good luck to ya Mikee!! Can't wait for pics. Stay safe as well!

If it's not too late pick up a copy of "Death in the Tall Grass" and read it on the flight. Have a great trip.........it didn't happen without pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EXTREMEPREJUDICE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's not too late pick up a copy of "Death in the Tall Grass" and read it on the flight. Have a great trip.........it didn't happen without pics. </div></div>

2nd that, I've purchased all but 2 of Capstick's books, very good reading. As well as Ruark's Horn of the Hunter.

The Caprivi should be awesome. Congrats to the OP, Africa is very high on my wish list. Enjoy.

Good luck Mikee, let's get together for lunch, finally, when you get back and talk about it.

Best elephant hunting book I've came across so far is Months of the Sun by Ian Nyschens. If you could find it it would give you a good time killer on that long flight.

And good luck on the hunt. That's my dream hunt. Hopefully it will happen one day, just not any time soon.

Thanks all. We are as far as Frankfort leaving there for Namibia. Girls are getting massages ,pampering them prior to the bush! This one of my favorite cities, Berlin being another, nice to be back here.

I've read all the Capstick stuff and Ruark too. Loaded the iPad with some old 1910,1930 safari reprints. I will for sure look up the Months of the Sun. I'll upload dead stuff as I get signal there. Already burned up a 2 gig chip on Germany pics! Not quite but bought extra chips in case.

Thanks for well wishes y'all, Mikee out!

Again, good luck. If you like the outfitter you use please pm me their info so I have it for a later date, hopefully 2 years from now.

Good luck Mikee, the wife and I will follow your footsteps to Windhoek via Frankfurt in March. I'm standing by for your updates! Damn it, I was trying not to get too wound up yet!
laugh.gif

Good luck can't wait for pic's.

You going old school with a fine double rifle or nice bolt gun?

Think it used to be that in Africa, Elephant were the #3 Killer of Humans after Hippo and Crocs.(Killer meaning wild animals)
Mock charge
normaElephantHeadOn.jpg

Moment of bullet impact. Dead Elephant's momentum knocked Shooter down(as he was back-peddling) and broke his Forearm
normaElephant_side.jpg

Above pictures are from Norma advertisement.

I did not see any elephants, but had a rhino at 15 yard on my trip to South Africa last month. Made the Cape Buffalo near it later look like shrimp. I can't imagine an elephant up close and personal.

Good luck

Jerry

The Caprivi is one of the most beautiful places ever to hunt. Enjoy it and load up some pics

Update Saturday noon Namibia.

One sixty plus elephant in the salt.
One hippo also SIL got great gemsbok bull, I have a female gemsbok 40".

Waiting on kudu and other PG.

Sounds like you've done well, good luck on the rest of your game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think it used to be that in Africa, Elephant were the #3 Killer of Humans after Hippo and Crocs.(Killer meaning wild animals)
Mock charge
normaElephantHeadOn.jpg

Moment of bullet impact. Dead Elephant's momentum knocked Shooter down(as he was back-peddling) and broke his Forearm
normaElephant_side.jpg
</div></div>

that is awesome, wish he would have had a gopro or some type of camera to capture the video, what a rush

I been living here in DRC for a year and there is not ANY damn wildlife! If they can take it down they eat it. That's form rats, dogs and even the occasional giraffe that gets out the local zoo.

Have fun.

Just arrived back in Windhoek going to dinner at Joes beer hall tonight. Final tally was awesome:

Elephant
Cape buffalo
Sable
Warthogs
Gemsbok -many!
Springbok
Pair of Hartman mountain zebras
Steinbok
Hippo
Aardwolf
Genet cat
Porcupines

No baboons or kudu but had great fun trying for them. No Burchells zebra but had good stalks and chase for them too. Zebra are tough worthy opponents, very cagey and smart.

I'll work up a trip report while traveling back, with pictures. I'll try to post a couple tonight if I can.

Hello,

Who was your booking agent and PH, please?

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just arrived back in Windhoek going to dinner at Joes beer hall tonight. Final tally was awesome:

Elephant
Cape buffalo
Sable
Warthogs
Gemsbok -many!
Springbok
Pair of Hartman mountain zebras
Steinbok
Hippo
Aardwolf
Genet cat
Porcupines

No baboons or kudu but had great fun trying for them. No Burchells zebra but had good stalks and chase for them too. Zebra are tough worthy opponents, very cagey and smart.

I'll work up a trip report while traveling back, with pictures. I'll try to post a couple tonight if I can. </div></div>

and what did you do with them all after you shot them ? I'm sorry but i just dont understand the point of shooting something like a zebra, do you eat it ? Make a zebra skin coat ?

Booking and PH was Kobus Honibal of Africa Thirstland Safaris. Google that and you'll have his info. I bought the elephant portion of the trip at the Tx Hill Country Safari show, the rest was added on. Brought the wife and her sister along for the first week, then hunted without them the second. Worked well for us, the Caprivi was awesome, saw literally hundreds of elephants.

And for the record zebra steaks are awesome, but not as good as gemsbok fillet on the grill. We ate all wild game, the food was great, much better than I expected, even the two princesses were amazed. What we didn't use went to the locals, and was not wasted. The elephant was a pile of bone in eight hours. Next morning they were salvaging thru it to look for any leftover meat. We hauled thousands of pounds out by boat and truck, as the site was very remote. Still dozens of people waded croc and hippo thick water to get to the site. When I get back I'll post some pictures that tell more than I can. If you've not seen the living conditions there, make a trip, see for yourself.

Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to pictures and stories to go along with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to pictures and stories to go along with them. </div></div>

+1, impressive total!!

Awesome bag Mikee!! Lookin forward to the stories and pics!

Here are a couple teaser pics for you guys, heading to airport in a bit.

The Buffalo - two shots, from the double, 100 yards, DRT.

IMG_0643_zps648762ee.jpg

The girls with the elephant in the Caprivi Strip:

IMG_0157_zps1c4ca5ae.jpg

Rains come early to the Kalahari - last day of hunt, got soaked.

IMG_0696_zps5e36d9b1.jpg

Cant wait to see the rest of the pix.....That had to have been a great trip.

I was due to go last year from port Elizabeth north into the Limpopo. A surprise quadruple bypass stopped that trip. But I'm getting ready for next year and your pix are keeping my eye on the ball!

Thanks,
Breeze

OK, I'll add some pictures and descriptions of what we did as I get time the next couple days. We consisted of myself, wife Cindy and SIL Trish, which was wise, let me have more hunting time when they went back a week before I did, due to work and kid stuff ( we have a 3 yr old ).

We flew from Houston to Frankfurt then to Namibia, Lufthansa then Air Namibia, spending a couple days in Frankfurt for the girls to shake off the jet lag, Nam and Frankfurt are in the same time zone, and all the flights are at night going over. Spent the time in Frankfort in a nice hotel for the girls:
IMG_0138_zpsb1ed0f2d.jpg

Had a tour of the Rhinegau wine country:
IMG_0139_zps7dca67cd.jpg

On Air Namibia plane:
IMG_0054_zps3d8c0eb4.jpg

Landed in Windhoek very early, Kobus met us right off the plane ( he's a pilot, has ramp privleges) got us through customs, and off to his Cessna 210, that we would take to the Caprivi.
IMG_0199_zps6e4cc594.jpg

Along the way we flew over the Okavango Delta, the only river in Africa that does not go to an ocean, it dead ends in to the delta. In 100 yards it goes from desert to swamp, very cool.
IMG_0076_zps2825608e.jpg

We saw a LOT of elephant once we got to the Caprivi, both in the air and the ground. This was at the end of the runway on our landing approach. We saw at least 300 the first day, from the boat.

IMG_0218_zps4e170b3d.jpg

IMG_0366_zps091f5b0e.jpg

Once in the boat, we ran the river, glassing elephants. We saw as I said, hundreds. The Kwando river runs between Botswana and Namibia here, the ele go back and forth. We could only shoot on the Nam side, but checked ele on both sides as they crossed frequently. Just before sundown we saw one MUCH bigger than the rest, both in body size as well as tusks. He was at least 3 feet taller than anyone of the others in his group.

Got out on dry land and stalked him a couple times, he would go back in the reeds, hide from us. He wanted to cross the river, we kept blocking that, and were trying to get a close shot but finally, he made break for the river, just before dark. Kobus and I ran to get as close as we could, he put the sticks up, said "side brain" as soon as he clears the reeds, but before he gets deep in the river. I shot him twice with the 416 double, as ordered, and dropped him at the edge. If the shot was 2 minutes later, I did not have enough light, with open sights. He fell at the second shot, in an area we could get the boat in, so that when he self inflated overnight, we could float him to solid ground for butchering.

Getting out of the boat to make the last stalk:
IMG_0110_zps8cc3a353.jpg

Pulling the elephant closer to the high ground:
IMG_0243_zps9739ead7.jpg

Some idea of the size of this guy.
IMG_0171_zpsb458add1.jpg

Kobus and I with the tusks
IMG_0269_zps7548e9be.jpg

The tusks removed:
IMG_0371_zps5adb6e88.jpg

Next up was a hippo, on day three on the hunt, days one and two being the shooting and harvest of the elephant. We went way upriver from the landing instead of downriver where we shot the ele. We broke the bridge the night before bringing meat back in the Landcruiser:
IMG_0290_zpsb488581a.jpg

IMG_0291_zpsb8809cf8.jpg

Made a good shot on the hippo, but then had to wait for it float, then tow it eight miles back to where we could get a landcruiser to the water. The boat would not tow it until I rigged a bridle forward of the console, I guess that captains license was worth something after all. Thanks Dad, for the memory of telling me how you rigged a CG cutter to do something like that 40 years ago.
IMG_0332_zps447816c5.jpg

This is what date night in the Caprivi is all about:

IMG_0506_zps56aff2c0.jpg

Took a couple of pics with Trish also with the hippo, so she can razz her boss about shooting a hippo.
IMG_0517_zps62a70bf9.jpg

Kobus had some cool toys here the girls really like the Unimog, I guess chicks really do dig trucks:

IMG_0484_zps1ed6c838.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsaeee581b.jpg

After the hippo and the ele, and considering the broken bridge would cost us a couple hours each way hunting each day, we decided to go to Kobus's ranch and shoot plains game. This is something that you HAVE to consider in Africa, plans change, and you need to be flexible, or be miserable. We took the plane east first though, to the Chobe and Zambezi rivers, did a low level game tour, this is a huge herd of Cape buff:
IMG_0388_zps7690ccec.jpg

Pics of the falls, it was very smoky due to the brush falls:
IMG_0575_zps2176a500.jpg

First morning on the ATS farm, I shot this mountain zebra mare.
IMG_0421_zpsaa76c1f2.jpg

This part of the hunt began what we called the "Kobus Honibal Workout Video". We walked ten to fifteen miles a day, up and down a hundred hills looking for whatever we were hunting. He especially liked to run me thru sand and rocks whenever possible, and the elevation didn't help much. I had been stepping up the workout portion of my life some, but it still took a little acclimation. I did work real hard on getting breath and pulse under control as we crested hills and such.

One other thing that I would have done different - bring less scope. One of my friends did this hunting area last year, said be sure to bring your long scope ( 6x20 ) for the long shots. I did, it spent most of the time on 6 power. The 1.7x10 on the 375 was much more useful. I did make a couple long shots, but still never used more than 10x. Different plan next year.

Trish shot a nice gemsbok:
IMG_0437.jpg

I had to get in on the gemsbok shooting also:

IMG_0445_zpsc84bb329.jpg

According to our little Madison, Daddy shot that bad bogeyman!

IMG_0479_zps60cce5be.jpg

I might have gotten carried away with the gemsbok. Kobus ranches these for meat and trophies. After he understood that I could shoot, he asked, do you mind helping with the culls? He wuold point it out, say that one shoot him, bang flop. So much fun. Used most of my 375 and all my 300 ammo like this.
IMG_0510_zps834432ab.jpg

This one needed it bad.
IMG_0550_zps7f4c4a4c.jpg

As I said, the girls had to go back to the States, with me staying another week. We flew them back to Windhoek, got them on the plane, and went back to the ATS ranch. Without the girls, we stayed out even later, we had already gotten in trouble with the staff and Kobus' charming wife Annette, for being late to dinner EVERY night. One night we did not hunt, but helped the neighbors put out a bad brush fire. It was very cool to see everyone helping, as this fire could have ravaged all their homes and farms. This one in fact did completely burn four farms.
IMG_0493_zpsdede8452.jpg

We did get some cool animals at last light though, this is an aardwolf, I got the last permit to export one for this year.
IMG_0574_zpsd267436a.jpg

This is a genet cat, Cindy would NOT have let me shoot that, if she was along. I heard a leopard one day, and she was like, no way, I don't care if you shoot it, but I don't want to see it.
IMG_0579_zps531227b7.jpg

I did get a good shot at a large male zebra, about 380 yards. I saw it on the mountain side, ranged it with the binos, dialed it and shot it. The other PH with us, Radimar, said wow, you did that quick, do you practice? Yeah.... a little. These zebra were probably the funnest thing I hunted, they have great eyesight, can smell you a half mile away, and live in the mountains. Tough as nails, be prepared for a good hunt for these guys. And... tastes good.
IMG_0534_zpsa615caa0.jpg

Not all went so well. Shot this nice steinbuck... with a 375, TSX. Wanted to shoot him with a solid ( brought ten of those for the 375), but it did not go bang. Since the 375 was my backup DG rifle, this was very serious. Made sure everyone knew not to load that rifle with solids for the rest of the trip. They were left over from a batch Superior Ammo made for me in 2009. Wanted them, since they had the tough to get Banded flat nose solids in them. Decide the 416 was going to be it for DG on this trip.
IMG_0553_zpsa6809a5b.jpg

IMG_0571_zpsf9de16b1.jpg

This is a shot of the infinity pool at the ATS lodge:
IMG_0589_zps7880845d.jpg

Our chalet style room:
IMG_0622_zps66d3f858.jpg

And the food was good and plenty:
IMG_0536_zpsdd943de2.jpg

After shooting most everything I wanted, EXCEPT a KUDU, I didn't feel too bad, they frustrated Hemingway too, we made a plan to go south to the Botswana/South Africa border and shoot a buff. Load up the plane early, off to SA.
IMG_0591_zps01b31df8.jpg

On leaving Frankfurt, I fueled up a bottle of scotch, a big one from the duty free, but alas, ran out! I was almost reduced to drinking Jamesons, but Kobus came thru. Someone from three years ago left a crate of whiskey at the lodge, Kobus doesn't drink, and he said I could look thru it to see if I liked anything there. YES, the same stuff!!! God does love us! It made the trip with us, did not know what the bar might have in SA.
IMG_0681_zpsb343d0aa.jpg

Picture taking from here kinda fell off, without the girls to keep me disciplined, I'm just here for the hunt you know. After getting thru the SA customs hassles, arrived at the Sans Souci lodge, and had a great lunch, started hunting. It is a fenced property, but it is very large, about 150 square miles. We talked about animals available, and the subject of sable came up. Only have one shooter they said, and he has been very shy the last four months. OK, thought nothing of it. Just out riding, looking for buff tracks, hey..... that was.... a sable. Beat on the roof of the bakkie, turn around yes, and a very nice one.

IMG_0617_zpsb72e7b51.jpg

The buffalo were tough. Spread out in small groups, we'd find a track, work it until we saw them, glass them, stalk them until we found the right one. I saw one just at dusk ( again!!!) but Kobus says no, the other one is better. I had no shot on him, so we picked them up next morning, worked several hours to catch up where they had wandered all night etc. Stalked several times to within 30/40 yards, but wind shifts, and a damn cropduster gane survey plane kept flushing them. It was after lunch, skipped it, until we had them close for the last time. They were moving out of the thick stuff about to cross a mile wide wide savannah. Kobus said " if you can't shoot long with those irons, switch to the 375". I kept the double, the four broke out about 100 yards out, when the one we wanted was in the gap, the tracker mooed, and the bull looked over. Bang, he humped up, and the second bang he fell over. The tracker went berserk in Afrikaans, found out later, he was really happy I could shoot, they get lots of clients who can't, and the tracker has the job of being between a couple loaded rifles, and a critter that is dangerous enough before it was wounded.
IMG_0639_zps9c17859d.jpg

IMG_0643_zps648762ee.jpg

Triple shocks are the best - top two are from the initial shots on the buff, bottom two are from the coup de grace thru the spine into the chest.
IMG_0732_zps8b276276.jpg

Had to shoot one more gemsbok here too, just had to. Last day, I told Kobus and Whitey ( SA PH) that we were quitting at 1800, so we could enjoy a sunset. At 1755, this gemsbok just appeared, it was a sign.
IMG_0703_zpsba696991.jpg

The rain was on and off the last day, we did get soaked a couple times.
IMG_0696_zps5e36d9b1.jpg

But.... the last sunset.. just makes me want to go back again.
IMG_0727_zpsbee122e4.jpg

If I can get on again tonight, I'll add some things regarding equipment and what not that worked, and some that needs work.

Jeez, THanks for the write up and the pix.

I had worked for years on the rigs in west Africa, but never able to hunt it. This makes me want it even more.

Thanks again Mike.

Breeze

Great job Mikee!! Your pics and stories are outstanding. IMO the ele, buff and zebra really stand out, the sable is a beauty as well. Did they chop the tusks out or wait a while and pull 'em out? What the hell is an Aardwolf? Never heard of one and I will google to find out.
I'm curious, who made your double rifle? I spent 1/2 the night looking at doubles on the net trying to learn more about them. The wife don't know it yet but I NEED one!
laugh.gif

I gotta say, you did it up right and it's great that your ladies tagged along as well.
Thanks for the write up!!

Best way to describe the aardwolf is a hyena that eats ants, fights honey badgers and has a coat like a long haired cat.

The rifle is a Heym chambered in 416 Rigby. Bought both at hill country SCI show this year. The rifle was the auction item just prior to the hunt, and I paid the upgrade fee on it for the fancy wood and the engraving. I picked the caliber because it does everything a 416 Remington does at 30% less chamber pressure. A 416 penetrates really well, if you look at the ballistics, there is only 300 ft# difference between that and a 470 Express or a 500+ Nitro. When you take that energy, into a smaller diameter projectile, it WILL penetrate deeper. Both side brain shots on the elephant, with banded solids, went all the way thru, as intended. The TSX, were found just under the skin, opposite side, for all in the buffalo.

The cool thing about this trip was having the plane, we could get around quickly, and got more actual hunting time when we changed locations. Windhoek to the ranch, one hour by plane, five by road. Caprivi to ranch - 16 hours by road, or four days in the case of the broken trailer axle - or 3 hours by plane. There is only one other guy in Namibia with his own plane, the rest charter as needed.

OK, I have a few minutes to write some do's and don'ts for guys thinking about a hunt like this;

DO bring an Ipad to have something to read on the plane. I read a lot, and carrying all the books for a three week trip is not possible.

DON'T bring a laptop - I did, only used it once, and it was a PIA toting it around and finding juice for it.

Do bring a lower power scope than you think you need. DON'T bring the 6x20, a 1.5 ten Swarovski is all you need.

DON"T bring gatorade unless you dehydrate easy or have health issues, it was wasted weight.

I brought an e-caller (Foxpro) we had great intentions to use it, but were already eating late and getting up early. Maybe next time, because I think it wuold work great there on the cats and night critters.

Ammo selection - I brought 20 each 416 solids and TSX, 30 300 WM ( 180 MRX), and thirty 375 H&H, with ten of those being solids. Next time, more 375, same # of solids, but more TSX. I'd bring less 416 solids, but ten at least ( elephant medicine ). That 100 rounds BTW, is exactly 11 pounds ( 5 kilos) all the ammo the airlines let you bring, and they did weigh it, without the Pelican it was in. Close thing there. You can get 375 TSX anywhere in Africa, but it isn't cheap there either. The 375 made a good backup rifle for either of the other two. If you can only have one rifle, make it a 375H&H, I prefer it over the Ruger, there is more ammo available locally there.

Palladium boots - brought these and my Danners, never wore the Danners. Bought two new pairs for the girls, they got no blisters, but I was a dick and made them wear the Samrtwool socks. Not hip, not stylish, but no blisters!

Bring an extra carry on bag, many uses, I used mine for adding my and the wifes ammo to, to save a run back thru the airport in Frankfort, from customs to the gate. Just picked up the luggage tags at the counter, went to customs ( in another terminal ) retrieved the guns and ammo, slapped the tags on, and customs took it from there. Without the bag, I would have had to haul our checked bags to customs, and get an escort from them back to Air Namibia counter. With the bag, customs delivered to planeside. Also handy for dirty laundry, and extra soveniers on return.

Bring a pen and note pad - rite in rain not needed, but you will take a lot of notes if you wnat to remember things.

Bring extra sunglasses, contacts or whatever.

Floppy hat with a leash to retain it when the truck blows it off. They shoot runaway hats on the third escape over there.

Best thing I had was pants with zipoff legs, from LL Bean. Needed the warmth in the morning, but needed the shorts in the afternoon. At night, the legs went back on. Three pair is plenty - one on, one clean, one being cleaned. All the outfitters do laundry every day, Do NOT bring eight pairs of clothes, it's wasted hauling. DO bring extra socks, but not ten pairs.

UnderArmour T shirts and Columbia fishing shirts in green or dark tan colors, good stuff.

Bring a pair of slip on shoes for around the camp at night. I didn't, the girls did. I was gear challenged in this respect.

Rangefinding binos - do this. Don't worry about the cost. They are cheap versus everything else on the hunt. Geovids, Swarovskis are OK, I like my Zeiss, and they work great.

Merrell technical shoes - good deal for the airport, and traveling, needs more highcut ankle support for hunting in. Dry's out quickly when wet too.

Antiseptic wipes - my arms and legs look like New England road maps, from the thorns and stickers. A pair of tweezers would be OK too for pulling them out. I swear some of these had anticoagulant on them, I couldn't stop the blood until I had pulled the sticker out. Everything over there bites, stings or scratches, and gets it's pint of blood for it.

Lastly, if you are looking for a double gun, the Heym is very nice. I have shot many others, borrowed them, hunted with them, and for the money it's the best value. There are cheaper doubles out there, but remember, it's Africa, and there, the hunter, is sometimes the hunted. Low bid is not the place to be. You can spend more, but the Heym is a good value, and holds that value.

I also liked the 375, in a CZ550, but that is one heavy be-yotch. Already looking for an action ( a CZ550 ) to build custom for next year, much lighter.

Most of my mountain hunting was done with a 300 WM, very light, 5.5 pounds without scope. Plenty of rifle, and easy to carry. I'll take it again, next time with a 1.7x10 swarovski or a 2x10 Leupold. Zero at 200, and GTG.

Thanks all for the comments and PM's, feel free to ask anything, this was a great trip, with my best two ladies, and a good outfitter/PH. Can't wait to get back next year, try for a leopard and maybe a lion. We took about 3000 pictures, I likely have a pic of something if you have a question about it.

Sounds like an awesome time was had by all. Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing the experience!

With OP's permission, I will lend my advice from two Summer Kenyan safaris.

For about two months with a American, Louisiana State University Ph.D in Large Mammal Physiology, who spoke Swahili, in an open Lorry similar to a US M35 6x6 2.5 Ton truck, and Dr. Langman's two-door Range Rover, we safaried from Giraffe Manor near Keren Duka in Nairobi, north to Isiolo and Mt. Kenya, the Kitich Camp, Samburu, and back down to Lake Nakuru and Lake Navaisha, on the east side of The Great Rift Valley, to Tavo East, Lake Jipe, Mombasa, up coastal Kenya north to Malindi, with a weekend on the ancient island of Lamu. We had lived in the Kenyan bush until renting a house on the beach near Malindi where we ate so much damned crab meat, lobster and parrot fish I was tired of it. We were there during the off season and the local fisherman quickly learned by word of mouth Americans were dwelling in the thatch-rooved house (read money) and from thence forward we wanted nothing. From crab to hash, it was available.

Though we were not hunting game, but studying behavior as a college biology class abroad, we traveled about, camping in our own mobile, primitive, tented camps with a cook and a few Masai with sharp objects to guard gear - fearless, nomadic warriors. Upon arriving at a village to buy a goat and vegetables to eat, we would leave two of them in our vehicles as "ascaris". Anyone foolish enough to poke a hand through the Range Rover window to steal a camera would have lost it.
Here's my advice.

Expensive, name-brand clothing on safari is foolish unless you have more money than sense, or you're a retail queen, i.e.; The Devil Wears Prada! Rather, buy at Goodwill what works which you can leave with the natives in goodwill. Makes for hunting relations, good deeds, and saves from lugging a ton-and-a-half of shit back with you - this is more spiritual than trying to convert them to Christianity which is only arrogant of us, confusing to them, and wastes both your time - like try to teach a pig to sing; It annoys the pig and wastes your time.

You'll want to buy art such as carvings, and that stuff is heavy. At a roadside merchant, get a bushel-sized hemp flexible basket with strap to carry on. Useful, and makes a good souvenir. I still use mine as a beach bag.

Thorns, burrs, stickers - plants' and seeds either pierce, or stick to your clothing. Pants that tie at the boot are good to keep your socks or bare skin from ants and burrs that stick and then cause soreness. Those fokers hurt! So get longer pants than usual and tie them at the ankle.

Get out your Astronomy 101. The Sun traverses the equator twice annually. North America's Fall and Spring are HOT on the equator, when airports, lodges, and roads team with rude European tourists. Even if they aren't rude, which they are, they are in the damned way. If possible, travel during Winter or Summer for the Northern Hemisphere. Those are the cooler times in equatorial Africa like Tanzania. North America's Summer season will be South Africa's Winter season. Go during the region's off-season if possible.

<span style="color: #009900">Here's what I would take, especially, and among other, common sense items.

* small, sharp folding pocket-knife.
* sharp Kbar for belt wear.
* stone to keep them sharp in case you or the guy you lend it to f up the edge. (Give it to your favorite porter upon leaving as a tip, even the knives. They need this stuff as a matter of survival. We can always get another. Really want extra help while hunting? Take kid's clothing to give to the porters or whomever. Better than money. Some can't get into town to buy these things. They'll be wiping your ass for you).
* Sandals for the camp.
* Foot powder.
* leather gloves (Picking up a dead limb a scorpion stung me on the finger. The best anti-anxiety and pain meds in the camped seemed to help on a little; fuck, that hurt!).
* Rubbing alcohol or Sea Breeze and Q-tips. Sinus allergy med. Conditions are dusty.
* small roll of <span style="text-decoration: underline">duct tape</span>.
* Hat if you're bald. Otherwise its yet something else to keep up with and blow off your noggin, wasting time to turn around and retrieve. Unless you always wear a hat, its in the way anyhow.
* scent-free sunscreen, or no sunscreen. </span> Game are more used to stinky-assed humans, than they are to strange-scented deodorants, and all the smelly crap we use to wash our ass, clothes, etc., which is probably one thing pissing off the charging elephant: fear rooted of a strange scent (we studied large mammal behavior for two Summers).
Cute dryer sheets and mamma's laundry detergent will get your ass run over and killed unless some dude happens to get off the right shot - in time! Elephants look like they move slowly, but thats an optical illusion. It will catch you and once he's finished mashing your foolish body into the ground, satisfied, your guide will likely leave your now jellied remains for the ants and hyenas because by now he's long gone, blaming you for being foolish, unless he is stupid - and most are since he controls the witnesses.
* <span style="color: #CC0000">small torch on a lanyard around the neck</span> for finding your stuff and way to the trench at night. In some camps there are no nice dimmer switches to choose the romantic ambience!
* flying doctors insurance.
* blood type on a necklace or dog tag (refuse blood if not absolutely necessary).
* Tetanus and yellow fever shots, and malaria prophylaxis. (Aralyn, Proguanil?)
* review your Will and life insurance policy before departing. Serious auto accidents in remote areas (most areas are remote) do not result in a LIfe Air flight to the nearby well-staffed trauma center. There "ain't" one! And it "ain't" nearby if there is one anywhere. And there "ain't no" Life Air flight service. Planes? Yes. Helicopters? No. If the poorly serviced Baron or 210 crashes in the bush, and you're unlucky enough to survive and are injured and your guns broke on impact or your can't reach them, you're cat food! Even if your gun works and you find the ammo you will not have hauled a sufficient number of rounds to kill all the varmints insisting on yummy, tender, thin skinned screaming human hams to feast on.

* Summation: be a good boy scout, diet, and weight train for a year before the safari. Abercrombie & Kent will make you comfortable, but in African the price of comfort is high, and you don't want them laughing at you when you leave. Be a man, girl!

Caveat: Remoteness is friendlier on TV. I needed a week to recover from time zone changes and culture shock. The second week you begin to soak up the environment and enjoy, but if you're OCD and insist on American efficiency and convenience, better just rent Out of Africa. My experience was a herd of Cape are easy to drive up on like cattle in green Texas pasture. Lions? Not so much. Elephants avoid humans as much as possible so they're deeper in the bush unless coming in to human crops to forage at night. Using our technology, dangerous African game aren't dangerous unless one accidentally, or intentionally, gets too close. Killing one is not the valuable rite of passage to real man-hood like in the day when Roosevelt, Hemingway and the first white Europeans sought to colonize and pillage the continent. Otherwise, have the time of your life.

Yup, Casey, mostly I agree with ya there. Safari is what you expect and make it, not what you planned for it to be. It's Africa and things change, out of your control. All you control is how you handle it and are prepared for it.

The idea of leaving clothes is good. I left a good pair of Danners to a guy that will use them.

+1 on the allergy meds, dusty and smokey too. Rather than longer pants, get some of the cuffs that wrap around your ankles. When I saw my PH put his on, I knew the stickers would be tough that day.

Foot powder, sandals, gloves Yes! Flashlights are YES, I brought two, plus, gave new ones to the girls. They were like "wow, how did you know?" Snakes and scorpions are unforgiving. Coen, one of our PH's got hit by a scorpion one night, firewood pile. Not himself for the rest of the trip.

Quick little sunscreen tale - my fair skinned son, that works in the oil field, put some on at the ranch the other day. Up in a box blind, NO animals ever stuck around once they got downwind of him. Heck I could smell it when I picked him up after dark. I wear a hat, that is enough.

And pay attention - in Africa - game, hunts you back. Even the plains game, have killed people, with horns, after they were " down".