• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing African PH tip

ollie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Apollo Pa
Going to south Africa for the first time and was wondering what the standard tip to your ph is. It's a 6 day hunt for 5 plains animals.

Is this after you have tipped the skinners, drivers, cooks, etc separately? Or is this going to be a distributed tip?

I would think 10 - 20% based on how good the service was and how taxing or dangerous the hunt turned out to be.

Reactions: ollie

Reactions: Wicked Weapons
There is a lot of BS and smoke blown up everyone's ass about tipping. The bottom line is to Tip what you can afford.

I'd give the skinners, trackers, and camp people $10-30 USD per week in Rand or Namibian Dollars. I'd give the PH about $200-750 USD if you can afford that. I wouldn't tip a ton more than that to the staff without talking to the outfitter.

I went in 2005. I had plans to tip my guide $500. But then we spent 9 hours fixing fence, and they left me alone in camp for two nights while they went to town. I gave the PH's wife $130 US in Namibia dollars, and nothing else. As she was the cook, and the only person that was nice to me the entire trip. As we had some problems with another hunter in camp from Spain that didn't speak English and was fighting with the PH's everyday. I helped them sort him out as I speak passable Nino Espanol.

Have a contingency for your trophies and how you want them taken care of. I'd know the taxidermist I was going to and try to have a plan for that.

Have a shipping company worked out with that taxidermist and an expediter in the USA.

Have phone numbers for every person in camp, the US Embassy, the US Consulate, and a good reputable place to stay in Windhoek, Cape Town or wherever you are going.

Any questions send them my way. I know lots of people over there.

I'd also recommend you have phone numbers for the Professional Hunters Association in that country.

Maybe your phone will work, and maybe it won't.

Reactions: serevince
There is a lot of BS and smoke blown up everyone's ass about tipping. The bottom line is to Tip what you can afford.

I'd give the skinners, trackers, and camp people $10-30 USD per week in Rand or Namibian Dollars. I'd give the PH about $200-750 USD if you can afford that. I wouldn't tip a ton more than that to the staff without talking to the outfitter.

I went in 2005. I had plans to tip my guide $500. But then we spent 9 hours fixing fence, and they left me alone in camp for two nights while they went to town. I gave the PH's wife $130 US in Namibia dollars, and nothing else. As she was the cook, and the only person that was nice to me the entire trip. As we had some problems with another hunter in camp from Spain that didn't speak English and was fighting with the PH's everyday. I helped them sort him out as I speak passable Nino Espanol.

Have a contingency for your trophies and how you want them taken care of. I'd know the taxidermist I was going to and try to have a plan for that.

Have a shipping company worked out with that taxidermist and an expediter in the USA.

Have phone numbers for every person in camp, the US Embassy, the US Consulate, and a good reputable place to stay in Windhoek, Cape Town or wherever you are going.

Any questions send them my way. I know lots of people over there.

I'd also recommend you have phone numbers for the Professional Hunters Association in that country.

Maybe your phone will work, and maybe it won't.
Thank you for taking the time to go into the details. This will be my first trip over to south Africa and I just want it to go as smooth as possible. I have heard some horror stories about the airports when you first get there.

bring your own water ..... or a lot of tp and have fun . bring a life straw you can drink there water with little problems .

Last edited: