• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

After 2 years.. finally ready to shoot

bnoland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2006
Memphis, TN
Well, most of you probably dont remember me being on here beause I post so little but around 2 years ago I bought a Remington 5R MilSpec .308 on here. Since that time it has sat patiently waiting on me to buy a scope so I can shoot it. Since I have bought it I have fired only one round thru a .308 rifle and it was not this one, it was a friend's rifle that I can out of academy with. Today I picked up a Leupold Mark4 3-9x36mm MR/T with rings from a guy on my local car club. It is MilDot with 1/4 MOA adjustment. I gave $700 for it with the rings and it looks brand new.. not a mark on it. It looks like it has never been mounted. What .308 would you recommend starting with? I noticed there are lots of diffrent grains, brands and types of round. Thanks! I will get pictures up later with the new scope.

Re: After 2 years.. finally ready to shoot

If you are going to shoot factory ammo, then try Federam gold medal match 175gr, Black Hills 175gr match, and Corbon 175gr. match.

good luck.

A couple of pictures..

3460417267_a72a614859_b.jpg

3461238524_97e90c954c_b.jpg

3460132463_9546da1c57_b.jpg

Wow, 2 years? You should get a medal for that. Nice gun. I am sure it is worth the wait. Don't forget range report. BTW, nice stick

If you shoot under 600, then FGMM 168gr or black hills 168gr are good to go. If going to 1000, I'd vote for the 175gr versions. I had bad experiences with HSM ammo. They make great stuff but it just ran too hot in my 5r - gummed up the bolt, and after about 40 rounds of it I wasn't comfortable trying anymore as I was pretty sure by then that it was not good for my stick. Never had any primer problems, but better safe than sorry. FGMM and BH always have run well for me.
Have fun with the rifle, it's a beauty, and I haven't had to touch mine as far as mods go. Maybe in another few thousand rounds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, 2 years? You should get a medal for that. Nice gun. I am sure it is worth the wait. Don't forget range report. BTW, nice stick </div></div>

Yep, It has been just sitting and waiting for right around 2 years. I am sure it is worth the wait. Hopefully I will get some range time with it soon. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot under 600, then FGMM 168gr or black hills 168gr are good to go. If going to 1000, I'd vote for the 175gr versions. I had bad experiences with HSM ammo. They make great stuff but it just ran too hot in my 5r - gummed up the bolt, and after about 40 rounds of it I wasn't comfortable trying anymore as I was pretty sure by then that it was not good for my stick. Never had any primer problems, but better safe than sorry. FGMM and BH always have run well for me.
Have fun with the rifle, it's a beauty, and I haven't had to touch mine as far as mods go. Maybe in another few thousand rounds... </div></div>

I am pretty sure the PD range is 300 yards and that is where I am going to start since I can shoot there free.

Get some FGMM in 168 to get you'r self out there ASAP, it's eaiser to find than the Corbon ammo. But do order some Corbon and see what the gun likes the best.

Since the rifle has not been used in a long time is there anything I should do before I shoot it? What should I do to begin sighting it in? What range should I begin at to zero it in? Anything I should do with zeroing it in before I even fire a round? What range should I zero it? Sorry for all the question, the only thing I have sighted is my CX-4 and a .22 and that was only at 50 yards. Thanks

I'd say before shooting, clean the action/moving parts, and check the bore for any obstructions before firing. Double check the torque on the newly installed base/rings. I'd sight it in at 100 yards. Enjoy the rifle, i've got a 5R and its badass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe you waited 2 years to shoot it! </div></div>

lol, me ether. I just got into other hobbies and didnt have the money to drop on optics.

I would recommend that you upgrade those rings and base/mount.

You've got a great rifle and a great scope.... they deserve something better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnoland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the rifle has not been used in a long time is there anything I should do before I shoot it? What should I do to begin sighting it in? What range should I begin at to zero it in? Anything I should do with zeroing it in before I even fire a round? What range should I zero it? Sorry for all the question, the only thing I have sighted is my CX-4 and a .22 and that was only at 50 yards. Thanks </div></div>

Is it brand new? You may need to break in the barrel. It is a tedious process but when you get better with the rifle you will be glad you did it.

There's constant debates about the merits of breaking in a barrel. Read some of the threads and make your own choice. Many experianced shooters are for it and many are against it. One thing I would do would be to get a good one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide and clean the bore prior to shooting it the first time. All rifles are proof tested at the factory but usually never cleaned. You don't want to risk some small particle of foreign matter that may have gotten into the bore during the last two years. The rings and bases while not "tacticool" will hold that scope on just fine. The other posters have given you good recommendations on ammo. Get one box at a time and see what your rifle likes.

The rifle was used when I got it. Around 50 rounds thru it I think. I have a better base that came with it.. I will put it back on when I get some better rings.