• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

After 20 years....Skydive

TOPO-sniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2004
League City, TX
Started jumping soon after I entered the 82nd Airborne in the early 80s. When I got out I went home to Florida where I jumped a few more years at Skydive Deland, Z-Hills & Eustis. Did my last jump in 2001, #584. I've thought about getting back into it but just never made the time until a friend knew I used to jump and wanted me to go with them when they did their tandem. After researching area drop zones we went down to Skydive Spaceland south of Houston and was impressed with the people, operation, and what looked to me to be big gains in safety.

I brought my logbook thinking if I got the itch I could do a quick refresher and do an AFF type jump with an instructor. Wrong, I did the refresher but after a few hours practicing I was still not comfortable with the rust on my emergency procedures(even though the instructor would be there, it is ultimately up to me to save my own life). I walked away after my friend had a great tandem and decided not to rush anything and if I was meant to get back in the air it would happen.

Well, it only took two weeks to happen....I attended the AFF class Thursday night & made three jumps yesterday. Signed off as a current skydiver again...not as graceful as I used to be, but that will come too. Awesome weekend.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pahp6MDb51Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pahp6MDb51Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: After 20 years....Skydive

Congrats on relieving the past. We most often always put off doing something today that we then never do. A couple of what seemed unimportant 'want to do's' in my younger years I would give anything now to have followed through.

Was in Phoenix visiting twin brother in spring of 81. We seriously considered going through whatever needed at the time and jump. Then got kinda cold feet so took that time and went to Grand Canyon and flew it and then to VEGAS!!!!! Shoulda jumped instead of giving them thieves my money.lol

No chance in hell in ever doing it around here close. Only time anyone jumps from a plane around here is if the f**ker is on fire.lol Now with my old fat ass I would look like a jeep coming down with the 4 chutes strapped on!!!!

I still laugh when nephew was in the 82nd in the mid 90's and telling of their first night jump. Blacker than shit and he heard this 'scream' all the way to the ground and just knew someone bit the dust. Come to find out it was an 'improper' crotch strap on a fellow that when the chute deployed the straps packed his nuts waaaayyyyyy up and he screamed all the way to relief when he smacked the dirt. LOL I laugh every frickin time I think of it. Hell of a way to experience and remember your first night jump cause you have to wear sweat pants the rest of your life because of it
smile.gif

Wow, good move on your part . You got Re-current, altitude aware & that is the hard part . Now it's all down hill from there .
Now you can Get-up & grab some air for a attitude adjustment every now & then when you feel like it . don't give it up again .

Congratulations. enjoy the rides for a long time.

Congrats!!!

My g/f is (or was last year) one jump from her class A (Or is it C?) - but she stopped at 28 jumps. Life got good and she didn't want to risk it anymore she says...

Her very first jump - love those DD's...:)

I did 5 jumps in 1984 - no desire but I will fly up with her every time!

fly1_smaller.jpg

Looks like you did a fine job on your re-cert!