• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision After Dark Predator Control

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
I have a two part question. I know only one part belongs in the NV forum but figured that the guys posting here would be able to answer both by association.

I am moving to a rural location in Florida on 10 acres. Completely stoked about the whole thing. Only issue is the locals tell me the beware the coyotes, hogs and they even said a Florida Panther has left some nasty clawmarks on some of their horses.

My fiance and I have a dog (Italian greyhound-he's awesome) and I'm worried about him being outside at night. He almost always has to go to the bathroom at some point in the night and if he sees or hears something he takes off like a damn bolt of lightning and I'm worried about him chasing after something that could bite him in half.

Of course this means a fence must be built. But knowing that a fence can't stop everything, I'd like to mitigate the number of predators around. I am also thinking this will be fun.

So here are my questions:

1: What is the best value NV optic for these purposes? I'm not looking for an S&B PMII equivalent, but more like a Vortex Viper HD or SWFA SS equivalent. Something I can use and be reasonably satisfied with, and not have take a 30 year mortgage for...

2: I have a few rifle options. Being that most of this would be at night and neighbors, while not nearby, are present and I would not like them to hear gunshots at 2AM...would simply using subsonic loads for my rifles suffice? I do not wish to go through the hassle of obtaining a suppressor if I don't have to. I'd love one, but it's just not in the budget right now with the new house and all. I have a 338 Lapua, 7mm Mag, and 260 Remington. Which would be the best for killing stuff with subsonic rounds, and will any of them be quiet enough unsuppressed to keep the neighbors at bay? Longest shot on the property from the house will be about 275 yards, and I'd like to have a feeder out there for hogs, etc, so I would like to reach out that far.

Any advice is appreciated. I know a fence will be most effective for my dog. I still want to set one of my guns up for this task, though. Thanks to all..

A lot of it will come down to how you want to mount it, budget, and distance. I have clip-on night vision units you can use with your existing day scopes, monoculars, dedicated scopes, and several thermal variations that can be used hand held, as a weapon sight, or as a clip on. Feel free to PM, email, or call and I'm sure we can figure out what would fit your use and budget the best. If I don't have it, I can about guarantee that I can point you to someone who does.
At 275 yards, you could get away with high end gen 2 clip on, or you could go on up from there.
None of the rifles you mentioned are the best subsonic rounds out there, but improvising has gotten a lot of people through a lot of things without the latest Gucci gear. You could always Form 1 a suppressor and come out a lot cheaper.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Thanks!

mans best friend isn't replaceable!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I'm betting he was just joking.
Unfortunately a 275 yard shot without (and probably with a suppressor) is not going to happen on a 10 acre lot without your neighbors knowing it going to happen. A 300 whisper with a suppressor might get you a 100 yards +- and sill have enough energy to kill a pig if you can place your shot.

Even a 22 on a 10 acre lot at night is going to be heard by your neighbor.

Sorry

I'm betting he was just joking.
Unfortunately a 275 yard shot without (and probably with a suppressor) is not going to happen on a 10 acre lot without your neighbors knowing it going to happen. A 300 whisper with a suppressor might get you a 100 yards +- and sill have enough energy to kill a pig if you can place your shot.

Even a 22 on a 10 acre lot at night is going to be heard by your neighbor.

Sorry

Fortunately my neighbors to either side are hundreds of cows that reside in pastures that are over 50 acres each. Nearest neighbor isn't very close, nobody in sight thanks to some woods on each side of the property. Now, a braked 338 Lapua going off would be heard. But there's nobody close enough to the property to hear a .22. This isn't a bunch of 10 acre plots, it's a 10 acre plot surrounded by some pretty vast spaces. This is located in the hillbilly portion of Florida. And yeah obviously he's joking about the dog that kinda goes without saying right? Couldn't you tell I was joking in my reply? I don't need to keep it totally secret from my neighbors, they will likely be shooting sometimes too and I doubt they'll care. But I'm looking to quiet down one of my rifles to keep it to a minimum. You don't think a subsonic 300 gr Berger OTM would get me 300 yards? Looking at the ballistics it would have around 730 lbs/energy at the muzzle and 630 at 300 yards, that's not much difference so I don't know how you could say it would have enough at 100 and not enough at 300. Even at 500 it's still got a lot more than a .45 ACP and much better SD for penetration.

Last edited:
Put a can on it and a ND3 and you will be good to go plus have loads of fun doing it, Rottweiler would help with keeping things in check in a fenced yard but make sure he can't get loose!

I have a two part question. I know only one part belongs in the NV forum but figured that the guys posting here would be able to answer both by association.

I am moving to a rural location in Florida on 10 acres. Completely stoked about the whole thing. Only issue is the locals tell me the beware the coyotes, hogs and they even said a Florida Panther has left some nasty clawmarks on some of their horses.

My fiance and I have a dog (Italian greyhound-he's awesome) and I'm worried about him being outside at night. He almost always has to go to the bathroom at some point in the night and if he sees or hears something he takes off like a damn bolt of lightning and I'm worried about him chasing after something that could bite him in half.

Of course this means a fence must be built. But knowing that a fence can't stop everything, I'd like to mitigate the number of predators around. I am also thinking this will be fun.

So here are my questions:

1: What is the best value NV optic for these purposes? I'm not looking for an S&B PMII equivalent, but more like a Vortex Viper HD or SWFA SS equivalent. Something I can use and be reasonably satisfied with, and not have take a 30 year mortgage for...

2: I have a few rifle options. Being that most of this would be at night and neighbors, while not nearby, are present and I would not like them to hear gunshots at 2AM...would simply using subsonic loads for my rifles suffice? I do not wish to go through the hassle of obtaining a suppressor if I don't have to. I'd love one, but it's just not in the budget right now with the new house and all. I have a 338 Lapua, 7mm Mag, and 260 Remington. Which would be the best for killing stuff with subsonic rounds, and will any of them be quiet enough unsuppressed to keep the neighbors at bay? Longest shot on the property from the house will be about 275 yards, and I'd like to have a feeder out there for hogs, etc, so I would like to reach out that far.

Any advice is appreciated. I know a fence will be most effective for my dog. I still want to set one of my guns up for this task, though. Thanks to all..

These are fun to hunt with, and are at a great price point. They would be right up your alley for those distances you're speaking of.

M845 Mk.4 2.8X Gen3 Red Dot Sight ? Tactical Night Vision Company

TNV/PVS-4 Gen2 Weapon Sight ? Tactical Night Vision Company

TNV/PVS-4 Gen3 Weapon Sight ? Tactical Night Vision Company

in all seriousness, Train your dog you can get a good shock collar or invisible fence for a lot less then a NV or a can, and if the dog is trained then you don't have to get up and do over watch while it does it business at night.

but if your just trying to justify new toys to the wife then get a M845 gen 3 and a 223 or slap it on a 22 mag if your that worried about the neighbors.

there is no simple cure to your question other than train the dog, any subsonic with out a can is going to be about a loud as a 38 special and have about as much killing ability's, not much beyond 100 yards

Last edited:
I say get a TBAC 338BA. Could use it on all your rifles, and although it's still going to make some noise, your neighbors are a decent ways away, surrounded by pastures themselves, and in a house. I doubt they would wake up from one or two shots, 5 in a row, yeah. And as far as a suppressor goes, it's not a hassle to get one, the wait kinda sucks, but in my opinion there are no downsides to shooting suppressed. Only makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. Hell after getting my first one, I was hooked, got 3 now. Dunno about how your going to see at night, leave that up to the NV guys, dunno diddly bout that.

Ps. Buy a suppressor... You won't regret it....

Get a can. Florida is a friendly state so go for it. Train your dog better as advised as well. I'm sure you'll get the stuff figured out. Go high gen 2 at a minimum with a good illuminator.