• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

After Market Piston Kits for AR-15

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I was thinking of going with the Adams Arms piston kit so I could keep my free float tube. Anyone like these or get something else? Thanks ahead of time!

Re: After Market Piston Kits for AR-15

I have not bought one of the Adams Arms kits for myself, but I have talked with the owner (about the conversions and some other issues) and I have used an AR-15 carbine equipped with their piston conversion.

They are a first-rate company and I was really impressed with the quality of their product and the people they have running the business. I ran 200 flawless rounds through the carbine I got to monkey around with. If you have questions, call them and talk to them. Great bunch of guys and I am sure they'll be glad to assist you.

Also, make SURE that your current float tube/rail is compatible with their piston system. I know that several popular forends are NOT compatible (not enough clearance inside the tube for the piston kit to fit properly). They did have a list up on their site with detailed info.

I have not had first hand experience with Adamn Arms however.... I run an all Spikes Tactical M-4 with a Danile Defense 1:7 twist. They use the Adam Arms Piston system as an option for those who want the piston system. I would only expect quality from them since I know the Spikes runs a tight ship. All the guys that come into the gun store I hang out at are told to get Adam Arms. I would take up ORD's suggestion and call them.

Although I feel all current options on the market are quality, Ive always felt there hasnt been a specific kit out worth the price...JMO

My roommate has put 3 Adam Arms kits on his ARs (18in, 14.5in, and 10.5in). They work great and have a very easy to use gas adjustment if you want to use a silencer on them.

I HAD an adams arms piston kit. Installed by adams arms, and snapped 3 pistons. Kept sending the upper back and forth. After 3 pistons, despite good customer service, I said screw this, switched back to DI, and now have a reliable stoner designed rifle again. Too bad the thing chewed the crap out of my brand new upper even WITH a one piece bolt carrier that "prevents" carrier tilt. That's my mileage, your's may vary. I will never piss on stoner's grave again.

Also: ruined my mil-spec charging handle, one buffer tube, chewed up a second, chewed up the buffer area of the lower, created cam-pin drag (bolt spring supposed to prevent) lots of marks inside upper where cam pin dragged and inside the CH sliding area.