• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

after shooting a rifle and you exhale why does ...

Re: after shooting a rifle and you exhale why does ...

......because it's cold outside???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It look like you are exhaling smoke, or exhaling when its 20 degrees outside.

PERFECT EXAMPLE in this video posted by another hide member at 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZF3IhZNQcU </div></div>

Your kidding right?

as you hold your breath, the lower diaphram is still pushing up which causes the stored air in your lungs to compress and heat the gases, on exhaling the gases hit the colder atmospheric pressure differential and expand faster than the surrounding moisture molecules, condensing them into frost or the white "smoke" you are seeing.

Re: after shooting a rifle and you exhale why does

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......because it's cold outside??? </div></div>

obviously its not 30 degrees in this video. this happends to me on 60 degree weather days...

no im not kidding
crazy.gif

Umm, I always break the trigger at my natural respiratory pause (at the bottom of exhalation) so I've never seen this "smoke" (unless I'm having a cigarette at the time LOL!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wut? </div></div>

What? you never smoke while shooting groups?

not intended for your post specifically.
im pretty sure you can see breath starting in the 50º range, from wikianswers:

"the air that you exhale contains water vapour. so when you exhale during a cold day, the relative humidity increases. relative humidity is actually the percentage of (the amount of water vapour in the air)/(the maximum amount of water vapour that the air can hold at that temperature). the colder the air, the less water vapour it can carry. when exhaled air mixes with cold air, the temperature of the exhaled air drops, but there is more water vapour. when the air becomes saturated (relative humidity is 100%), the extra water vapour will condense, allowing you to see you breath on cold days"

LOL @ the hard bong rips!! Seriously, what I was trying to get across is that I've never held my breath (after inhaling) while shooting, kinda like what shooter2 was saying. I fire at the NRP, or the slight pause between exhaling and then inhaling.

Actually, I've noticed this too, and not in cold weather. I never really noticed it until I was at sniper school at Camp Pendleton. We were at range 117A (known distance) and the entire class was online doing frame shooting. So on the T of two, the whole class fired at their target. Obviously I was shooting at my NRP, and after the shot I inhaled. The wind was blowing (as it ALWAYS does on 117A haha) and as I inhaled I smelled the burnt powder coming from the rifle to my left. When I exhaled, I could see my breath, but it was roughly 75 degrees Faranheit out. My next inhale, I no longer smelled any burnt powder, and on my exhale, I saw no breath. I assumed it was because I was literally inhaling the smoke coming out the rifle's barrel and action after the shot, but I highly doubt it because I tried it again, and the amount of "smoke" I was exhaling was equal to a large drag off of a cigarette.

It has more to do with the temp/dew point spread and its relation to the temp of the exhailed breath. It doesn't have to be cold. It just has to be very humid ( I mean very.) Just a quick number that might help explain why it does it more in cold. A given volume of air doubles its ability to hold water in a vaper for every 20 degrees of temp rise.

im glad SOMEONE else has experienced this....

I also shoot at the end of the exiratory phase, works well, especially if winded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has more to do with the temp/dew point spread and its relation to the temp of the exhailed breath. It doesn't have to be cold. It just has to be very humid ( I mean very.) </div></div>

I'm a dryland desert rat. That's part of how I observe what the relative humidity at any given time. Dry air can evaporate your respiratory H2O pretty quickly, but pausing either with NRP or by holding a bagful of air gives time to increase both water level and temperature of what's in there.

New Year's Eve here was really humid, probably 50% or more.

I think it has to do with spin drift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it has to do with spin drift. </div></div>

WRONG!!!!!

It is the Moon's pull
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard bong rips while shooting are not good for your health.
smile.gif
</div></div>

It helps me be zen with my rifle though
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im glad SOMEONE else has experienced this.... </div></div>

It takes some courage to post a question like this here, enduring the ridicule until you get a decent factual answer. Good job. (but seriously, lay off the bong
crazy.gif
)

Im have seen the same thing INSIDE a 72 deg building , it happens every once in a while if I burp after a realy hard set when lifting weights , I'm generaly breathing heavy and if I belch and kind of hold it in to be polite when I exhale their will be a little bit if this "breath" , I've see a couple others do the same thing

It's because they werent straight behind the rifle and their NPOA was compromised.

I too am going to pretend I've never seen this.
Probably unlike the others though, I don't know why. I'm just hoping there is a good reason!
Kind of a slow Saturday afternoon.

Shooter's right. It has nothing to do with air temp. You can do it just about anytime. Take a big breath, put pressure on it (hard) like you're gonna exhale but dont let it out as long as you can, but not so long that you pass out
smile.gif
. Then let it out slooowly. Bet you'll see it.

okie

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the pressure wave off the brake?

i think he needs to use a cleaner burning powder mabey cut back on the dried cowshit filler

did anyone say this yet, but maybe he inhaled some of the smoke from burnt powder that the round put off. in that video at least? i have seen it from my dogs on days that i didnt think were that cold, but they have a higher body temp so i figured that played into it.

Whats the matter you didnt know .50BMG goes through your shoulder and into your lungs when you break off a round? The "Smoke" that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has more to do with the temp/dew point spread and its relation to the temp of the exhailed breath. It doesn't have to be cold. It just has to be very humid ( I mean very.) Just a quick number that might help explain why it does it more in cold. A given volume of air doubles its ability to hold water in a vaper for every 20 degrees of temp rise. </div></div>

Having heavy humidity in the St. Louis area makes this a very common occurrence in temperatures well above freezing.

This happens to me all the time..... after I huff in that awesome sweet smoke from my combusted 90 grains of goex from my .54 cal flinter. Aw yeah.

after shooting a pistol and i fart why does little pink bubbles float around the range
sick.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF99FF"><span style="font-size: 20pt">?</span></span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter's right. It has nothing to do with air temp. You can do it just about anytime. Take a big breath, put pressure on it (hard) like you're gonna exhale but dont let it out as long as you can, but not so long that you pass out
smile.gif
. Then let it out slooowly. Bet you'll see it.

okie </div></div>

Has anybody tried this? In NE OK with the temp inside at about 72, I can see it every time.

To the OP, if this is happening to you, you're holding your breath entirely too long.

okie