• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aftermarket DTA SRS magazines?

QuickOne

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Oct 31, 2011
I just picked up a new DTA SRS and love the rifle. However, the magazine felt a bit cheap to me - the follower wouldn't go down as it was loaded. It got stuck on the opening for the release lever. A few hard pushes solved this problem, but it left me a little disappointed.

Are there any aftermarket magazines out there for this rifle? Any that hold more than the 5-6 rounds from the factory??

This is for a .308 rifle. Thanks in advance

Re: Aftermarket DTA SRS magazines?

As popular as the SRS is becoming, there are no 3rd party magazines available (that I know of). The first gen mags had some durability issues related to spot welding but they were resolved back mid-2008. I personally haven't seen any magazine issues, but it might be wise to disassemble the mags and makes sure everything's fitted properly. Beyond that, a call to DTA will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuickOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a new DTA SRS and love the rifle. However, the magazine felt a bit cheap to me - the follower wouldn't go down as it was loaded. It got stuck on the opening for the release lever. A few hard pushes solved this problem, but it left me a little disappointed.

Are there any aftermarket magazines out there for this rifle? Any that hold more than the 5-6 rounds from the factory??

This is for a .308 rifle. Thanks in advance </div></div>

I feel your pain on this. I'm not in love with the Mags from DTA. They work OK, but not too well in my book. I spoke with them about this and I think they understand our concerns and are working on a new magazine.

It seems to be that the problem with increasing capacity would mean a double stack, which I doubt the SRS chassis can handle. So most likely the new mags will be a single stack of higher quality.

Mark

Agree with OP -- it would not be hard to improve on the current DTA mags, nor to undercut their current price. Heck, just deburring the feed lips and putting a better coating on the metal would bring my business.

There's also room under the magwell to flare the mag to stagger or double-stack the rounds, as is becoming common.

DTA is selling at $100 something that couldn't cost more than $20 to make in low volumes. What are the criteria for third-party manufacturers to jump into a particular mag market? Like do they need to see potential volume in the 1000, 10000, or 100000 unit range? Other factors?

DTA magazines were designed to house 338 rounds single-stack. To me it says that it may be possible to stagger 308 rounds in the given space without the need to flare the bottom part...?

Nope, unless you count SAC's upcoming .223 conversion kit. There is growing demand, for sure, but I suspect it's a tricky thing with that chassis. Mark Gordon has already stated that making a reliable .223 magazine was the most time consuming and difficult aspect of that project. Even DTA has said higher capacity magazines are a top request that they are working on, but they are taking their time to get it right.