• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aftermarket stock for Howa 308

safarigene

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
central texas
I have an older model Howa 308 varmint in the factory stock. It belonged to my dad and I have recently got it and put a good scope and match ammo in it to see how it did. With a good Leupold scope and Federal 168 Gold Medal Match, the best I could get was right at or just barely under an inch at 100. I believe the twist on this rilfe is 1 in 12. I have not had time to try different weight bullets yet. My question is if I were to put a better stock on it, would I really notice any increase in accuracy. I am leaning towards something like a Bell and Carlson with the full length aluminum bedding block, I just can't afford a Manners or chassis system yet.

Thanks

My question is if I were to put a better stock on it, would I really notice any increase in accuracy.

Thanks

Short answer, is probably "yes".

The B&C is a good value, my son has a 700 in one and it greatly improved the rifle's accuracy out of the factory "tupperware" stock.

However, a good bedding job (with pillars if it's a wood stock) can be a fun DIY project, and give you much the same end result for the cost of some epoxy. So, if you like the stock otherwise, might consider just the bedding job...