• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aftermarket stock for Savage

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Looking for recommendations for a good aftermarket stock for a Savage short action. My sons rifle is an older staggered feed action and was initially looking at Bell & Carlson DuraMax or Boyds. Trying to keep it under $200 so the HS Precision, Manners, McMillian are out.

Re: Aftermarket stock for Savage

I just got a choate tactical inletted with CDI DBM and so far I really like it. Not exactly the kind you would want to use on a hunting only rifle though.

I've done several different ones for Savages. My target platforms have Choate Tacticals, my hunting platforms have Houge. Depending on your bolt pattern spacing, the B&C might be your best option.

Duramaxx with the forearm bedded to stiffen it out even more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duramaxx with the forearm bedded to stiffen it out even more. </div></div>

I have one of these on a 7mag long range rig of mine. I bedded it and can not squeze it and make the for arm touch the barrel. It can't say the same for my McMillian or HS precision. It shoots sub moa out to 1,000 yards. I don't know what else you can ask out a 100 dollar stock.

Ditto on the Choate tactical.
As said, it's substantial weight makes it less than ideal as a toting-around hunting rifle...