• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aftermarket stock, is this possible?

randello88

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2020
Hi everyone, i always used factory made rifles for hunting but now i am thinking to buy my second b14 hunter and i want to put it in an aftermarket stock (Mcmillan remington hunter probably). I have 2 questions:
1) i am used to straight comb stocks. The one on my b14 hunter fits me well and only while shooting from a bench i feel the need for a slightly higher comb, in the field i always found it comfortable. I am more or less 5 9 height and i mostly shoot prone while hunting so do you think a higher comb stock like the mcmillan remington hunter could be worse than the standard b14 one for this application? I heard higher comb stocks are better for shooting standing or kneeling and they fit taller people better. I can't try it because of point 2.
2) i live in Italy. We can buy mcmillan stocks but the waiting time is more or less 6 months and of course i can't send my rifle to mcmillan for the fitting. I read they recommend sending in the rifle, especially if it is magazine fed, for proper fitting, but i know for sure many people here buy mcmillan stocks oversea and put their barreled actions in them. What do you think?

Thanks
Simone

Simone,

It won't require any "fitting" if it comes from McMillan. You may want to bed ("glass bed") the action into the stock once you get it. I have owned 6-8 McMillan stocks in my life, and am waiting on another. For something as simple as a Remington 700 footprint action like your Bergara is, the inlet on the stock from McMillan will be pretty decent.

I was quoted a 4-6 month wait as well when I ordered my last one.

Finding a stock design that fits your body the best is the hard part here. The best idea if you can't get behind one first, is to find a model that can be fitted with an adjustable comb and length of pull from the factory.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Part Timer
Another alternative, if you're set on a stock, would be to look at Manners with their mini chassis system so you don't need to bed it or worry about bottom metal.

Same sentiment for finding one with an adjustable comb and LOP rather than hoping a non-adjustable stock fits properly.

Thanks for the answers. Another option would be to keep the factory stock which doesn't look and feel too bad to me.

But i read on mcmillan FAQ they suggested to send the action in for the guarantee of a reliable functioning if the rifle is magazine fed. Is it something to be concerned?

Also i like the lighter weight of a non adjustable stock and for me is very difficult to try the model i wanna buy before purchasing and waiting 6 months. So maybe if I compare measures of the stock to measures of the factory one and I see they are really close i should be ok, right? I know it's not ideal..

So when you bought your mcmillan stocks you always tried them before ordering?

I would say that in today's day and age, you shouldn't have to send your action in for confirmation of fitment. Sounds like a lot of extra steps for something that is essentially marketed as a "drop-in" solution.

I've only ever had one McMillan, but it was an A-5 that I tried out before I bought it. In hindsight, I would have gone with a Manners - which I got later on, anyway.

There are more details on the website than I have off the top of my head, but the Hunting Stocks section and the Stock Builder section should be able to provide you a solution without having to send your action across the globe. Or look in the PX, check with Altus. Lots of options.

Check out the stocks made by pse composites. I've handled a few and they're quality. Made in Ireland, so may be easier and cheaper than importing an American alternative.