• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aftermarket Stock Options for Savage Rifle

ratrod54

Minuteman
Apr 16, 2013
Frisco, TX
My son has a Savage 10PC and we are not ready to get rid of it for a newer rifle. He is just 15 and enjoys hunting with it. In the past, Manners made a stock for Savage and they have since gotten rid of it best I can tell. Are there any other options out there, better than the Accustock that is comes in?

Stock Options ... I LOVE Stock Options ... they're what helped me retire early.
Oh, what? Not that kind? Sorry ... never mind!

Oryx...although not good for hunting. Look at Stocky's stocks...looks like they have a B&C M40 for cheap right now.

Check out the Oryx chassis by MDT. Very nice for the money. I have 2 for some Howas.

The company that makes the Arken Optics has a sister company called Outlier that makes a chassis. I ordered one for my Savage, but don’t have it yet.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Kind of a budget option but Boyd’s can hook you up.

Manners will still build you a stock. Hogue makes an inexpensive option as well.

Kind of a budget option but Boyd’s can hook you up.
I would avoid Boyd's like the plague for a removable magazine stock. By the time they are done hogging out all the wood for the DBM to fit there is very little material in their stocks. I have had a couple split along the length of the stock. Get something stronger...

Here ya go:

If you want vastly better improvement here’s what you do,

1) remove the factory stock
2) now the gun is ready to be sold to the new owner with minimal shipping cost

😁👍

Jokes aside. What are you looking for in a stock? Chassis or a actual stock? Hunting style or vertical grip etc?

For chassis- XLR/MDT/Mcree are good options

For stocks - HS Precision/hogue/choate/bell and Carlson. If you can find some HS takeoffs with the verticle grip from the FCP HS series or the M40 style from the 12 long range precision series

I’ve used every one mentioned above. My take is MDT for my favorite (ESS). XLR for light and compact, HS takeoff for best traditional stock and bell and Carlson for cheapest but close to HS

My B&C needed some material removed to float the tang.

The hogue is rubber textured which is nice for hunting but it tends to catch on stuff. It also has a forend that easily touched the barrel when flexed (particularly when utilizing a bipod). Material also had to be removed near the tang on this stock

Choate is a very solid option but they are heavy

Mcree is a nice chassis. But I like XLR and mdt better

Reactions: nikonNUT
B&Cs are easy and cheap, but you would want to have the stock bedded to the action. Manners probably makes one if you call. Same with McMillan.

Welcome to the bottom bolt release world of savages and their lack of support by just about everybody! ;)

I have a FCM10 that I bought brand new when they first came out. I have dropped many a deer with it in the upper mountains of PA.

Savage_FCM10_1.jpg

She sits in a Bell & Carlson hunter stock, and it has a JARD trigger. It shoots sub-MOA and it's rather light now that I got rid of that accu-wedge stock that twisted with ease.

I just put a rifle together for my son With a savage that I wasn't shooting.
I bought a blemish Oryx which just came in today.
I am VERY impressed. Hopefully I can get out this weekend for a basic zero. He will need to purchase the lop spacers though.

Attachments

• 20211203_160521.jpg
    20211203_160521.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 239
As mentioned above, Bell/Carlson has been a nice upgrade for 2 of my Savage rifles. I have an M40 on a .308 and a sporter on a 7mm-08. No additional fitment or fiddlin' was necessary for either, and both showed improved accuracy over the factory stocks.

As mentioned above, Bell/Carlson has been a nice upgrade for 2 of my Savage rifles. I have an M40 on a .308 and a sporter on a 7mm-08. No additional fitment or fiddlin' was necessary for either, and both showed improved accuracy over the factory stocks.
For what it's worth.....I also have a rifle in an Oryx chassis. It's quite nice, just not my taste for hunting.

I have my Savage 10 in an MDT LSS XL Gen 2 and think it's awesome. Way better than the Accustock and you can choose bolt on options like butt stocks. Grips and such.

VooDoo

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
There are many options to cover what you need. Manners will still make you one, but the wait might be a downer to ya. Unless you get lucky and find one in the Stocks Ready to Ship.

Check out the chassis system from Outlier. Looks like good stuff. I have mine on order from them, but I haven’t received it yet. They should be shipping the Savage SA’s before the 1st of the year.

There are many other options as well, but they will cost you quite bit more. I will be posting pictures on my thread here called “Arken/Outlier Chassis Rifle Build”. Hopefully I will have it soon!!

DK

Last edited:
If you want vastly better improvement here’s what you do,

1) remove the factory stock
2) now the gun is ready to be sold to the new owner with minimal shipping cost

😁👍

Jokes aside. What are you looking for in a stock? Chassis or a actual stock? Hunting style or vertical grip etc?

For chassis- XLR/MDT/Mcree are good options

For stocks - HS Precision/hogue/choate/bell and Carlson. If you can find some HS takeoffs with the verticle grip from the FCP HS series or the M40 style from the 12 long range precision series

I’ve used every one mentioned above. My take is MDT for my favorite (ESS). XLR for light and compact, HS takeoff for best traditional stock and bell and Carlson for cheapest but close to HS

My B&C needed some material removed to float the tang.

The hogue is rubber textured which is nice for hunting but it tends to catch on stuff. It also has a forend that easily touched the barrel when flexed (particularly when utilizing a bipod). Material also had to be removed near the tang on this stock

Choate is a very solid option but they are heavy

Mcree is a nice chassis. But I like XLR and mdt better
I honestly like the way you think! Everything else that I have are built on Defiance actions and this is the last holdover. I gave this Savage to my son and he loves it so I was thinking I should try to make it a little better for minimal expense.

I really appreciate the information above. I had forgotten about XLR and MDT. I had an MPA chassis for it and shouldn't have sold it. I would likely buy another if I found one in the PX, but I am looking for other options. I would go with a chassis in a heartbeat.

Definitely out on the Hogue. I think the accustock is a better option. lol I would bet I can find one of the HS takeoff stocks though. I need to search for that as well.

Thank you again!

Reactions: hafejd30
I have a 110 that's in an MDT LSS-XL gen 1 and it's always worked well. The gen 2s are better due to the addition of MLOK but it might be a good option fore you. It's a chassis, but still very lightweight for hunting purposes.
View attachment 7753453
Since it is my thread, I don't feel bad about hijacking my own. Can you send me a PM with info about your barrel cooler set up?

Well, I was lucky... I went to Manners online shop and low and behold, they had one EH-1 Elite Tactical Black Forest in the ready to ship inventory for a Savage SA 4.40 spacing. No wait time so this is a huge win!!!
Apparently I wasn’t lucky. Told today the stock was already sold and they were cancelling my order. Not sure how that happens when it was still in inventory. So, I guess it wasn’t meant to be

• Sad
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
McMillan would probably be the first choice, but pricey. The Bell and Carlson might fit the bill for you. The B&C will be in that 2.7 # ball park, but I find that they balance well so that they feel lighter. My .02 I guess.

Stockade gunstocks is worth a look as well

I have a pair of 11VT's (223/308) in Choate Tactical Stocks.

Since I'm taller, I need some more LOP; and Choate sells additional stock spacers separately.

"The Tactical stock has a full length aluminum bedding block for added strength, an adjustable spacer system allowing for .75" (Midway did NOT provide any spacer) of adjustment in length of pull, a rail integrated into the bottom of the forend to mount a bipod and four swivel studs (I removed mine, far too heavy for a bench gun) for customized carry options. This stock takes the Savage factory detachable magazine actions with action screws spacing of 4.4" center to center."
Choate logo

The spacers shown above provide a 1/2" modification, and they can be stacked; but longer mounting screws must be purchased (from your local hardware store).

Generic cheek height adjustment.

If a barrel replacement is needed (to alter chambering, etc...), they are available. Mine are fine with the original Savage factory barrels.

Greg

Last edited: