• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aftermarket trigger

fastfatkid

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2011
Hi just woundering what people think is the best aftermarket trigger set up is . I have a dpms 308 and the factory trigger sucks .

Re: aftermarket trigger

Depends on what your budget and intended uses are. Geissele are superb and have a wide variety of offerings. There's some lower cost NM triggers such as Rock River out there too.

Price does not matter as long as it works . The intensions for the gun is to shoot 100 to 600 yards

I just put a JP trigger in my LR-6.5. $179 and it was fairly easy to install if your competent with doing so. Its a very crisp trigger and adjustable for overtravel and creep. Only bad part about it is out of the box, its kind of heavy for my liking, I would say 4.5 to 5 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precision shooting I definitely favor the SSA-E from Geissele. Simple and crisp. </div></div>
<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">I second that!
Check out the "Geissele Triggers..." thread for more info...</span></span>

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Correction:
"Geissele HSNM Triggers..." thread</span></span>
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff Jacobson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi just woundering what people think is the best aftermarket trigger set up is . I have a dpms 308 and the factory trigger sucks .</div></div>

As others have stated, go with the Geissele. I wanted a trigger that was non-adjustable because it leaves less to go wrong while in the field.

Last night, I installed the Geissele SSA-E in my rifle and it's superb. It's a non-adjustable two stage trigger with a 2.3# first stage with a 1.2# second stage.

The SSA-E’s reduced 1st and 2nd stage pull weights result in a trigger with a smooth, light 1st stage take-up and a crisp, candy cane-like 2nd stage break.

For a precision rifle, the Geissele is the way to go.

http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticenhanced.aspx

geissele.jpg

Thanks for the good info fella's . I'm fairly new to long range shooting. Just trying to build a rig that will leave me less frustrated. And the factory trigger had me shaking my head more than once.

IN addition to the Geissele, also look a Timney. They make great triggers.

I have had good luck putting Timney and JP triggers in customers rifles. I'm not a fan of two stage triggers so one of the above triggers is what I will be using on mine...if I ever get around to finishing it.

Thanks again guys. I ordered the Geissele SSA-E trigger on Friday just waiting for it to arrive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff Jacobson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again guys. I ordered the Geissele SSA-E trigger on Friday just waiting for it to arrive. </div></div>

Good choice! Trust me on this, you're gonna love the new trigger.

I have the timney and I like it but I wish it was adjustable or set at less than 4lbs....other than that it is nice and installs easily

Yea, I dont quite understand putting a two stage in a precision rifle. Its seems to me that it creates more of a probability that you would jerk the trigger and have accuracy issues.
Then again, I guess its all preference. I dont even have a two stage on my 3 gun AR..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, I dont quite understand putting a two stage in a precision rifle. Its seems to me that it creates more of a probability that you would jerk the trigger and have accuracy issues.

Then again, I guess its all preference. I dont even have a two stage on my 3 gun AR..</div></div>

It sounds like you're missing the whole point of a precision rifle, the key word being 'precision'. A good, after market two-stage trigger such as the Geissele allows the shooter to make each shot with less effort and more consistent accuracy than using a single stage trigger.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nope</span>. AR triggers

The <span style="font-weight: bold">whole</span> point of a precision rifle is PRECISION. Precisely made parts, such as a precisely made trigger, bolt, barrel - the parts that matter - and you have to shoot it precisely. A precisely made precision rifle isn't worth squat <span style="font-style: italic">unless</span> you shoot it precisely. Precise shooting cannot be bought, although shooting lessons can. Tubb can teach you some fundamentals for one $G per day.

I've come to respect one man as an AR expert in 40 years of handling guns. Zediker. He believes there are two single stage triggers worthy of AR use and abuse: <span style="text-decoration: underline">JP</span>, and <span style="text-decoration: underline">Accuracy Speaks</span>. That's it. Others say other stuff, and they're being paid to. Still others say other stuff, but have little or no experience on which to support what is a strain to term an opinion.

The two stage that will stand the test is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Geissele</span>. Now. Here are two caveats. One, if you shoot little, the trigger you choose won't matter. Two, since Zediker tested triggers others might have gotten off their ass and improved something. Check out his website for updates.

Application determines trigger, not preference. Three gun requires single stage for quicker re-set and faster follow up shots. A light, single stage in a field tactical, big chassis AR might well fire unintentionally upon third impulse if nit wit does not get that big index finger off the trigger at the right time. Hence, the two-stage; plenty time, safer, etc. and the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Geissele Match</span> model is plenty light. Whether single or two-stage is not a matter of preference. NASCAR drivers do not use automatic transmissions simply because one driver "prefers" an automatic transmission. Don't be so silly.
smile.gif
AR triggers

For me its all about preference. With the 2-stage Geissele I like to know exactly where I am on the trigger before I send a round down range. Once the slack is out of the first stage I know where I stand and its just a simple straight back squeeze from there.

Thanks for the post Casey.

That's the trigger i'm going to get from my replacement of my Geiselle SSA. I think the SD-E trigger is nice, plus from a couple of the videos i've seen where they demo the pull, it's seems good too.

Before paying full price Gunbroker usually has some pretty decent deals if you have an account.

I have two of the Timney's & they are great.

- Easy install
- Choice of 3# or 4# (I prefer the 3#)
- Decent instructions
- Crisp smooth break
- ~$170. Check out Rainier Arms, LLC

With all due respect, the Timney is shit compared to the Geissele triggers. It might be okay for a run & gun setup but definitely not for a precision AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty subjective statement. </div></div>

Maybe so, but it's still the truth.

I've shot both and I can say without a doubt, Geissele is the better trigger but I digress. Try them both and then report back on your findings.

Just finished a 6.8 build and went with the Timney drop in and it's perfect for the rifle. Smooth and breaks like glass.

Wilson Combat is also making triggers and they are typical Wilson quality.