• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Age of handloads or handloads of age?

Shanej45

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2020
Idaho
Was wondering if anyone has noticed their handloads shoot worse as they age? I heard that you should always load your ammo in a single sitting. if you break it up over a few days the neck tension will might vary. One test is to load some ammo long (like .100) wait a few weeks come back and press the last .100 and you might notice a "pop" on some when it seats and a lot of different neck tensions in the lot. Also of note, a lot of competition shooters tend to procrastinate when it comes to reloads for a particular match, and do it right before and shoot surprising well. I believe some of the bigger names out there try not to load too far in advance. I have no idea if any of this works or is true.
My personnel observation: I finally figured out how to squeeze under 1/2 minute out of my rifle. I loaded up 100 rounds for a match that I had to cancel on. Six months latter at the range, and it was 1 minute of angle. Naturally I have too many variables to account for. So I am asking the interwebs if anyone has played around with such things?
I have never noticed this with factory match ammo, it always shoots .75 MOA.
With the the things that I hear, and my own observations make me wonder.

Thanks

I wet tumble. Might have to do an experiment wet trumble some and dry the others see if there is a difference.

Great threads. I missed those ones, but read/listened to others. Sounds like I should get some graphite neck lube

There is no replacement for making ammo right at the firing line. It’s not always feasible, and certainly in PRS, but the bench rest guys doing at shoot the smallest groups at the longest distances. There’s something to be said for fresh ammo.

I always load just before a match

I have loaded then done the final seating closer to match with great results as well

I actually load my hunting ammo a while before testing it and prefer it sits around a bit before testing. As it may sit a while before being shot

Does it make a difference....who knows

Reactions: Tokay444
I'm going to start using the imperial neck graphite. Sometimes my loads sit on the shelf much longer than intended. Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed any improvements in accuracy?

If I have a match that requires me to load 3-400 rounds for a 3-5 day match (f-class), I seat all my bullets long and go back the night before the match to seat the bullets I need for the next day. There are rounds that I loaded last fall (seated long), that will shoot to the same poi as freshly made rounds once seated to the proper OAL. That means you need an arbor press or portable single stage to take on the road with you.
Cheers

I like the idea of having ammo ready to go. It looks like either way it will add one more step to the process. Loading long has the advantage of not having to deal with the graphite.

I load long with graphite.

I wet tumble. Might have to do an experiment wet trumble some and dry the others see if there is a difference.
If you dry tumble, add some car wax cut with mineral spirits.

Thin layer of wax seems to help prevent cold welding.

I have also used the grafite and it works but is difficult with short bullets. (55g 223)

Do you then tumble again after loading, without the wax to get the wax off the outside so your brass grabs the chamber properly to prevent excess bolt thrust?

Reactions: GONE BAD
No.

It's a hard slick coating that has not shown any adverse results.

Many people use this method and if there were a problem like that the guys here would be all over it I think.

The thin layer outside helps with corrosion protection.