• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AGM Rattler V2 TS35-384 or AGM Adder TS50-384???

Grim's Reapers

Operator
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
South Florida
I've pretty much committed to buying a mid level thermal. Does anyone have any experience with these or suggestions around the $2,600 price range?

Reactions: Gon06
Spend $400 more and get this... You're still at 35mm lens, but you're stepping up to a 640 resolution unit. The V1 640 will be better than a V2 384, I can assure you.

Thanks! I'm not opposed to spending a little more. I just have no absolutely NO experience with Thermals. Going in blind so to speak and sometimes reviews you read just don't cut it because people say stupid crap on reviews sometimes. LOL

What are your uses and how much do you plan on using it? Use it every weekend and you’ll be glad you went 640. And the battery system on the V2s and newer iRay models is way batter than CR123’s. But if you aren’t going to use it much 384’s these days are plenty nice. Which model depends on your typical engagement ranges.

What are your uses and how much do you plan on using it? Use it every weekend and you’ll be glad you went 640. And the battery system on the V2s and newer iRay models is way batter than CR123’s. But if you aren’t going to use it much 384’s these days are plenty nice. Which model depends on your typical engagement ranges.

It's predominantly for Coyotes but also some hogs. The coyotes can be out to 500 yards maybe a little more. The hogs will be closer. I won't use it on a weekly basis, maybe every two months or so. I do like the two battery pack option on the V2, that seems like a big plus.

It's predominantly for Coyotes but also some hogs. The coyotes can be out to 500 yards maybe a little more. The hogs will be closer. I won't use it on a weekly basis, maybe every two months or so. I do like the two battery pack option on the V2, that seems like a big plus.

At ranges like that you’ll definitely want a 640, but you may want to tamper expectations with the budget. 300+ is a long shot with a thermal, and positive ID is hard there even with a 640. I’d go for a 3x base mag vs lower if shots are expected to be long. I actually think the new Clarion 384 with dual base mags of 2x and 4.5x would be an awesome scope for your needs and stay near budget. The Clarion 640 doesn’t have as much allure to me being just 2x and 3x.

At ranges like that you’ll definitely want a 640, but you may want to tamper expectations with the budget. 300+ is a long shot with a thermal, and positive ID is hard there even with a 640. I’d go for a 3x base mag vs lower if shots are expected to be long. I actually think the new Clarion 384 with dual base mags of 2x and 4.5x would be an awesome scope for your needs and stay near budget. The Clarion 640 doesn’t have as much allure to me being just 2x and 3x.
Yes the base magnification is going to have to be up there. 500yds isn't on the regular, just a typical worst case scenario for me. LOL I appreciate your time and will look into the Clarion.

Yes the base magnification is going to have to be up there. 500yds isn't on the regular, just a typical worst case scenario for me. LOL I appreciate your time and will look into the Clarion.
If you will be shooting that far, a 50-640 would be ideal... But now you're stepping into the $4K+ territory. If you don't mind spending that much more, the Rattler V2 50-640 has the proprietary battery packs and the LR capabilities.

Or, if you don't mind using CR123/16340 batteries, the original Rattler V1 TS50-640 is a great one, that can be had on sale for about $1000 less than the new V2 model...

AGM Rattler TS50-640 Long Range

AGM Rattler TS50-640

I run Nitecore 16340 950 mAh batteries in my V1 Rattler TS50-640 Long Range (same one I linked you to at Amazon)... You'll get MUCH better battery life running these than regular old CR123 batteries.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your input. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's to buy the right tool the first time. Sometimes it leads to unnecessary overkill, but most of the time you avoid going down the rabbit hole of buying something that you wind up replacing with what you should have bought in the first place.

Sounds like I'm probably going to wait for now and save my shekels until I can afford to purchase a higher end thermal.

With regular scopes I've found that you can get a very workable optic for ELR in the 2k price range. Unfortunately, it appears that is not so in my unfamiliar arena of thermals that will suit my needs. LOL

Reactions: YotaEer
I would lean more towards the Rattler V2 unit because of the newer sensor and new proprietary battery that gets you 10-12 hours in battery life and each unit comes with two batteries. It is a smaller, compact unit and great for the AR platform.

The 35mm objective lens on the Rattler will have a wider field of view.

The 50mm objective lens on the Adder will allow you get a bit further in distance.

Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it. Thanks

Reactions: Grim's Reapers