• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aguila SSS ammunition

nsnutter

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Purchased a box of Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain ammunition today ... shot 10 rounds through my friends Remington 597 today at an 8" target at 200 yards today. Wind roughly 10mph full value. Atttempting to resight his Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40mm scope after reattaching it to his weapon, hit the target 4 times with a 25 yard rough zero holding approximately 10" above center mass. Any opinions on this ammunition as this is my first time shooting it?

Re: Aguila SSS ammunition

Wrong 22LR ammo for "long range" shooting. It has low muzzle velocity and a relatively poor BC and is probably useful for killing small varmints at close range (within a couple hundred feet).

Shoots fine in my Remington. Since it is sub-sonic (read: slow) and the bullet is almost twice the weight of standard ammo, laws of physics usually apply and therefore the impact is much lower at distance. It is about 4 inches low at 40 yards from my rifle so I just sight it in and leave it at that. I have heard that a tighter twist than usual is necessary for long range stability compared with the 35 grainers.

You may want to try that ammo up close as it will not work in most standard twist barrels. At least it doesnt in any of my four 22lr's... It did work well in a conversion unit with my ar-15 which was twisted 1-9.

Okay, I figured I would give it a go, as the box only ran me $3.00 after my discount, generally I stick with Remington target ammunition, CCI Green Tag, and occasionally CCI Mini-Mag (hp and reg) with the occasional brick of Blazers thrown in there ... anybody have opinions on which they prefer of readily available ammunition?

SSS ammo will not shoot well in all guns, heavy bullets (as htis is) are more successful in fast twist barrels.

Try it, mine do not like it.

It is very accurate in a correct barrel. Green Mountain and Volquartsen both make a 1 in 9 twist barrel for a Ruger 10/22
specifically for that round. I have a custom gun that Tim Humston at SAS helped me out on. Can is in the works, but the gun is finished. GM barrel, new trigger pack, extended mad release and bolt catch, heavy recoil spring and a custom made
charging handle. Keeps the bolt closed longer so you don't have as much port noise.

I set up a 10/22 with a 1:9 for this ammo...real dirty especially through a suppressor..I sold the barrel and went back to 38's and 40's

I appreciate all the feedback! I figured it was hit or miss with this ammunition, heard some mixed reviews about it, I think I will refrain from purchasing it in the future, unless I decide to upgrade to the 1:9 barrel for my 597