• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aguila Super Colibri Penetration test.

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
It all started when I was in the shout box asking for advise on shooting feral cats in the backyard. Chuff, JLM, and Salmonaxe told me the quietest 22lr ammo is the Super Colibri. So I ordered 500 rounds of it and decided to do a penetration test with it. The round has no powder at all and fires just from the primer. It will not cycle but does leave the barrel just fine. It penetrated a 2x6 block of wood just fine at 30 yards.

First picture is the test rifle. Ruger 10/22.
Second Picture is the ammo. Aguila Super Colibri
Third picture is the test target. 2x6 block of wood. at 30 yards.

DSCI0454.jpg

DSCI0495.jpg

DSCI0493.jpg

When I get some dry weather, I plan to test various 22lr ammo at various ranges.

Re: Aguila Super Colibri Penetration test.

How quiet was it? I need to eliminate a few racoons.

It it seriously quiet. I was shooting it about 5 feet away from a window with someone sleeping in the room by the window i was shooting next to. He said he didn't hear nothing when I asked if he heard me shooting.

Its about the same as a pellet rifle.

Sounded about like a pellet gun. The sound of the round hitting the target was louder than the round discharging. Friggin cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounded about like a pellet gun. The sound of the round hitting the target was louder than the round discharging. Friggin cool! </div></div>

yeah, i had the phone on speaker about 8 inches away from the muzzle and the metal bucket was at 40 yards ranged. I love not having to leave the house to shoot.

I like the CCi Cb longs better than the colibri there right around 700 fps a tad louder than the colibri's and more knock down power.

Anyone ever stuck one in a barrel? I noticed they only recommend them for pistols and when I emailed them they said the concern is the friction from a longer barrel could make it stick..

I shoot them in a suppressed 10/22 with a Tactical Solutions 16" barrel. I've stuck one when I put wire pulling gel in the can. But when shooting the can dry I've never had any problems. Luckily it hasn't hurt the barrel.

I shoot em out of a Marlin 925, and a Henry lever gun. Never had a problem with one getting stucj.

I had them stick in the barrel of my S&W K22, I got rid of them and only use the CCI or Remington CBs now.

I know of a situation where someone stacked about 18 of the bullets in his barrel.

There really was a reason he couldn't hit anything.
smile.gif

Just yesterday I had great luck with them out of a Crickett, but had very spotty results out of an old Win bolt gun. Some would hit the target, others would land several feet short of the target.

Be careful.

I had one stick in a CZ452.. pushed out easy. I would have real concerns on the ability of these rounds to kill a racoon....

I tried these a few years ago on some raccoons that where getting into our garbage. They were super quiet but they also seemed to bounce right off. I'm not sure what the velocity was out of that particular rifle but it wasn't much. I can't recommend using them on neighborhood varmints; however, they are a blast for the backyard or indoors if you can convince the Misses.

-John

I have used them quite a bit and it seems like every round is different. IE impact and sound. Kinda comical IMOP. Still use them for shitheads at about 30 yards or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How quiet was it? I need to eliminate a few racoons. </div></div>

You can clap your hands louder, that's how quiet they are...

I've shot these and never had a problem out of my Mossberg 702 Plinkster, but best I've got in accuracy is an inch at 50 yards. I've shot rats with them and they run away, so now I use a 1,000 fps pellet rifle and it kills them dead with very little sound.

*P.S. Match grade pellets are 10 times cheaper.

I just ordered a brick of those and a brick of these:
AMM-057.jpg

Should be fun....

I've used them with reasonable success and never stuck one. They're ok on birds and squirrels out of a 77/22 and an old Marlin bolt gun, both 20" barrels. Accuracy is so-so, but they're quiet.

Anyone know what the real difference is between the "regular" Colibri and the Super Colibri?

One of those is super quiet and only like 500fps the other is 700fps but I dont recall which is which.

Just make sure you're keeping those 60gr bullets to a short distance. They start to tumble pretty fast out of a barrel with more than a 1 in 9 twist.

I use the Aguila SSS in a 1/9 5" green mountain barreled suppressed 10/22 pocket rifle with a one off can that we made. Does 43db if I remember correctly I like the knock down power of SSS but what kills me is how dirty it is.

The GM barrel has a match chamber and The SSS is not match ammo. Couple that with how extremely filthy the powder is and you get a pretty unreliable package. The bore has to be perfectly clean to get it to cycle properly.

Im thinking of polishing the chamber out a little bit just to open it up a little more. The main problem is extracting the spent cases sometimes. If you get a FTF then yur really screwed with a jam.

If only they made cleaner ammo id shoot that gun all the time.

Also Zunrj5 thanks for the coon story that shit was funny, laughed my ass off for about 5 minutes envisioning pissed off coons and you being upset with it hahaha. Must have been a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How quiet was it? I need to eliminate a few racoons. </div></div>

You can clap your hands louder, that's how quiet they are...

I've shot these and never had a problem out of my Mossberg 702 Plinkster, but best I've got in accuracy is an inch at 50 yards. I've shot rats with them and they run away, so now I use a 1,000 fps pellet rifle and it kills them dead with very little sound.

*P.S. Match grade pellets are 10 times cheaper. </div></div>

That's been my experience with teh super colibris on chipmunks. I hate wounding things, even varmints
frown.gif
Went back to the airgun for chipmunks.

CB longs aren't much louder than colibris though and do a little bit better

I was using the regular colibris for years, which are supposed to only go 500fps and never stuck one in my Remington 541s, but, when I ran out, all I could find was the "super" colibris, which are supposed to go 700 fps.

I didn't notice any difference in noise, and accuracy pretty much sucks with both.
At 25 yards, I'm lucky to keep them in 2".
They don't have enough power to take a starling though the side because the wings are too tough, but, they will go down if taken from the front, or rear.

-tried some of those 20gr bullets against a TV a few weeks back....they won't break the front screen on a TV so we had to move up to powdered ammo (it was for a photo of a broken TV).

I hunt Chipmunk with the super colibri. They do just fine. I hunt Groundhog with SSS and they tend to knock them back about 3 feet. Sounds like a winner to me. No one in the neighborhood can even tell I'm shooting. Though it's pretty rural here. I'd post some pics, but I don't know where to host them with out "Offending" someone and having them removed.

I prefer CCI's CB round either in the long or short version. I just walked outside and did a comarison with them and the super collibri. Even though the CCI's have a small amount of powder in them they didnt appear any louder the the Aguila's. I was shooting them in a .22 conversion 1911 which by the way was pretty load with either, much louder than a handclap or airgun. In rifle length barrels they are more more subued. It also depends where the muzzle is pointed, with close hard surfaces they are louder than say shooting up in a tree at a squirrel.Any of them work well for controling pest around the home.

super colibris stuck one in my win 75. I have no use for them since
CCI's CB have faster velocity and are as quiet in the 26" barrel win. The noise level seems to depend on how heavy a barrel. Shot in a win 90 are louder than shot in a win 1890.

60g sss velocity on the box is 1050fps IIRC and I shoot them in a 9 twist 10/22. it is the loudest but get great groups at 100y. Surprisingly rem sub sonics groups well at 25yds in 9 twist barrel.

rem cbs velocity on box 700 or 750. sound like to me cci cb's but doesn't hit as hard. wish cci would put the vel on cbs.

I've had good luck with killing squirrels with a 10/22 and super colibris. Seems to put them down a lot harder than my benjamin 22 pellet rifle.
I'd go a little bigger for a racoon or cats though. CBs would prob be a minimum in my book.
I once put a 22 pellet right on the bridge of the nose of a possum, between his eyes, from about 15 feet. He acted a little stunned, and wiped at it with his paws. Shot him a second time with little effect. The whole idea for using the pellet gun in the situation was because he was right by the back door of the house, backed into a corner and wouldn't leave (dang near stepped on him in the dark when he hissed at me). I didn't want to overpenetrate and hit the house.
I came back with a 22 (high velocity HPs) and dispatched him, and found that the skirts of the pellets were protruding through the skin. They penetrated just enough to hit bone and stopped. The pellet was stuck with the hide in the narrow part of the pellet.
Sorry to go off on the pellet tangent, as it's only partly relevant.
CW

Acceptable precision and energy for consistent CNS kills on attic rats at short distance (<15 yards). Weight-sorting seemed to have little effect. There's an appreciable difference in drop even in yard increments, so KD shots are best if you need to anchor them, and you do unless a nicked one dragging itself off to die somewhere where you can't get to it is your idea of a good time. No exit wounds, didn't penetrate 2X6 at that distance.

I've had good luck with them inside a barn. They won't penetrate the roof and get the job done in a short distance on pest birds. I'm using a short barrel bolt 22.