• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI 1.5 stock for Remington 700

Ammo for me

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Looking to see if anyone here has replaced their Remington stock with the AI 1.5? I have a 5R Mil spec that I don't like the stock it came with so I just ordered AI and am looking forward to getting her together.

Aside from ergonomics has anyone noticed improvements in accuracy?
thanks in advance!

Re: AI 1.5 stock for Remington 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo for me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to see if anyone here has replaced their Remington stock with the AI 1.5? I have a 5R Mil spec that I don't like the stock it came with so I just ordered AI and am looking forward to getting her together.

Aside from ergonomics has anyone noticed improvements in accuracy?
thanks in advance! </div></div>

I bought a used 5R milspec as a spare .308Win while my 40 year old Remington 700BDL Varmit is being at Mike R's shop being reborn as a TacOps Kilo51. I came across an almost unused Remington 5R mil spec in an AICS for a good price so I bought it. I hated the way the rifle looked but liked the idea of the chassis system. So I bought it thinking if I hate the AICS I could always sell it and buy a McMillan.

I was ready to sell it as soon as I picked it up for the first time. I did not like the way I had to wrap my thumb around the stock. I have always shot with my thumb on top of the stock near the rear tang of the action in line with the trigger to counter balance trigger pressure for minimal movement as the trigger is released.

Well as it turned out the thing shot like a laser and once the bits were adjusted for me I was very comfortable behind the gun and it only shot better. So I decided to keep the AI chassis system and improve the on the stock Remington X-Mark trigger (O.K. so maybe I just wanted an excuse to try a Huber Concepts two-stage trigger). As I said I was ready to hate the AICS for the funny shape and the well known too low in the stock position of the action to get a good check weld. But with careful selection of a Seekins 20MOA base and matching 34mm high rings I avoided the too low scope position everyone with an AICS complains about. It turned out that I actually really like the stock and the way the rifle shoots. But that stock Remington trigger had to go.

The Huber Concepts two stage trigger is amazing. Even dyed in the wool fans of a well tuned old school Rem trigger and Jewell lovers who tried my Huber in the AICS said it is amazing to shoot. The Huber Concepts two stage triggers are very good shooting, amazingly smooth and break very nicely.

Anyway this rifle shoots about as well maybe a bit better than the best my old Remington 700BDL Varmint ever shot 10K rounds ago before it got tired. This was shooting reloads I had developed for the old 700. I don't know if it is the chassis or not but it is very consistent shooting and very easy to to shoot very well at long range prone, off the bench and off hand. I was shooting it offhand and ringing the steel at 200 and 300 yards. Granted I was strapped up using a stock AI strap but that is not bad for an old guy who usually shoots prone or off the bench.

Anyway I changed my mind about the AICS and can highly recommend it for Remington 700 actions. My only complaint is that the AICS is a little bit heavy compared to a conventional stock. But not much compared to a full boat McMillan tactical stock.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As it turns out I was ready to sell it as soon as I picked it up for the first time. I did not like the way I had to wrap my thumb around the stock, I have always shot with my thumb on top of the stock near the rear tang of the action in line with the trigger for minimal movement as the trigger is released.

</div></div>

I shoot it with my thumb on the side of the stock not for comfort but for speed working the bolt. It's just as comfortable as through the hole and you don't have to take your thumb out and put it back in every time you crank the bolt. I would give it a shot, it works quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it turns out I was ready to sell it as soon as I picked it up for the first time. I did not like the way I had to wrap my thumb around the stock, I have always shot with my thumb on top of the stock near the rear tang of the action in line with the trigger for minimal movement as the trigger is released.</div></div>
I shoot it with my thumb on the side of the stock not for comfort but for speed working the bolt. It's just as comfortable as through the hole and you don't have to take your thumb out and put it back in every time you crank the bolt. I would give it a shot, it works quite well.</div></div>

Someone else suggested that I shoot it that way so I did. I can't say I shot any better shooting the AICS with my thumb on the side all day but as you mention it feels a bit faster to cycle the bolt this way. I'm mainly shooting at 400yards to 1,000 yards and my shooting is more measured. I still have the stock Remington bolt knob but I can cycle the bolt fairly quickly. Must be 40+ years and tens of thousands of rounds shooting with the stock knob. But I think I have to get Mike R. to install one of his tactical bolt knobs on my 5R/AICS to finish the rifle off while I'm waiting for my new TacOps Kilo51 to arrive.

Well I got it today and put her together. Pretty good stuff here, built like a tank. Now I need to get to the range. I like everything so far. I will try the thumb placement on the side and through the hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Someone else suggested that I shoot it that way so I did. I can't say I shot any better shooting the AICS with my thumb on the side all day but as you mention it feels a bit faster to cycle the bolt this way. I'm mainly shooting at 400yards to 1,000 yards and my shooting is more measured. I still have the stock Remington bolt knob but I can cycle the bolt fairly quickly. Must be 40+ years and tens of thousands of rounds shooting with the stock knob. But I think I have to get Mike R. to install one of his tactical bolt knobs on my 5R/AICS to finish the rifle off while I'm waiting for my new TacOps Kilo51 to arrive.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">YAOG</span></span> -

You can have Mike Rescigno do the TOBKC using his bolt knob, but you may or may not be able to get your 5R's bolt back faster if you have <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> perform the TOBKC for you. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> performs the TOBKC the right way (full-bead TIG-weld, grind smooth and symmetrical, then blast before surface coat). Since the 5R is SS, the bolt might look better left bead-blasted but that's up to you.

As you and I know there's a lot more to a TOBKC than cutting-off the stock knob and threading on a replacement knob. Check-out <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"More bolt knob installation pictures"</span></span> thread for some great photos of TOBKC's in-process. Also check-out <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">huntersedge89</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"monteboy84 bolt knob install/fix review w/ pics!"</span></span> thread. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">huntersedge</span></span> sent his bolt to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> to fix it after someone else here on the Hide' installed their own design bolt knob and the bolt could not be closed and the <span style="font-style: italic">"gunsmith"</span> would not respond to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">huntersedge</span></span>'s messages.

As an alternative to the TOBKC, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> can also install a round shaft handle and round knob to mimic the look of an AI bolt knob like he did for <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">boone</span></span>. Below are two photos I stole from <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">boone</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">" Bolt Knob Pics Of Legend"</span></span> thread. Check-out <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">boone</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">" Bolt Knob Pics Of Legend"</span></span> thread for more photos.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold">round bolt knob install on Remington 700:</span>
bolys001.jpg

bolys002.jpg

Keith

I took a 700 AAC-SD 308 into a AICS 1.5 i picked up from a member here on the hide.. Dropped right in, tourqed it down to spec, and it shot damn good. The Chassis is VERY solid, feels tough, and I really like it (so much so I bought a matching L/A for my 300WM)... You wont regret it.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pic i took right after I moved it into the AICS 1.5.

12+2%3A17%3A43+PM.jpg

Josh,

The angle I have on the rifle really makes the gap between the barrel and the front optic seem more than it was, looking at it direcly its not near that wide (but I could probably still go down a size in rings if needed). I would take a current pic for you but its at my smiths as we speak getting a Badger Bolt Knob and a Timney installed.

Scope is a Bushnell Tactical Elite 4200 6-24x50 w/Sunshade
Base is EGW 20MOA R700 S/A Picatiny rail
Rings area cheap set of Burris XTreme Tactical 0.5" Rings that I had, but they work really well for $60 rings.

Because I love posting this picture, I will post it again, my bone stock, except for the AICS 1.5 R700 AAC did this with my handloads. 5 Shots, 75degree day, 100 yards, no wind... 43.0g RL15 with 168 Amax. Measured 0.3MOA, best its ever shot, normally if I do my part, i will get 0.5-0.7 MOA with my loads, but the shooting gods were watching me this day.

photo+%283%29.JPG

I have a 5r milspec with AICS stock. As far as accuracy difference you will see a difference as the ergronomics and aluminum block are far superior to the factory. I would not get rid of mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo for me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aside from ergonomics has anyone noticed improvements in accuracy?
thanks in advance! </div></div>

No accuracy improvement here, but the accuracy was pretty decent to begin with.

DSCN0390.jpg

NICE Group REL!!!!

I was just curious, I just ordered some stuff for my latest rig. Hoping I did my math right on the base/rings/scope height yadda yadda