• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI 338 CIP Magazine Differences

CaseFinder

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2022
the Land of Az
I searched through as many threads as possible before posting this question, but could not find a definitive answer:

Could someone tell me what the forward tab difference on the single stack 338-CIP 5 round magazine (see below) is for, which I believe, presumably, is for a newer AI AX 338 chassis?

I post pics of three 338-CIP versions: one at top is the SAAMI 3.745" non-CIP version with the two at the bottom side by side both being the 3.850" 338-CIP versions (all are factory AI, not aftermarket Accurate, MDT, etc.):

338-SAAMIvsCIP-comparison.jpg

One can notice the rear long edge of the 338 CIP versions look the same with appropriate factory caliber markings:

338-CIP-LongEdgeComparison.jpg

The front edge is where the difference is with what seems to be a newer version with a tab at the top edge:

338-CIP-ShortEdgeTab-Side.jpg

The above is the side the bullets would point towards you stacked in the magazine.

338-CIP-ShortEdgeTabCloseUp.jpg

Closer inspection shows upper tab clearly. Long story short, bought used and out of a group I received as a whole, this front tabbed version was among the ones I received. All but the one with the front tab insert into a 338-CIP magwell, with no issue, into a legacy AICS 338-CIP chassis. I found the tab one identified on the AI website as:

AICS-338CIP-5round.png

So I am guessing those smarter than me can chime in and let me know the difference and for what chassis these are used for when I thought all new AI AT/AX versions used these:

AIAX-338CIP-10round.png

I am not entirely sure if the newer AI AT/AX versions have both single and/or double stack magazine well chassis options. I would imagine that one would prefer the double stack 10 round version that does not stick down as much for prone shooting. Assuming those in know with these rifles can chime in, as it seems there are three (3) distinct versions of these 5-round 338-CIP magazine chassis wells out in the wild that are mutually exclusive. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments

• 338-CIP-ShortEdgeTab-Side.jpg
    338-CIP-ShortEdgeTab-Side.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 35
  • AIAX-338CIP-10round.png
    AIAX-338CIP-10round.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: