• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI 6.5cm chambers

mitchellchandler_au

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Hi all,
I finally brought an AX in 308. My plan is to swap out the 308 barrel with an AI prefit in 6.5cm. My first question is does anyone know what the freebore is with the AI factory prefit barrels? I live in Australia so I assume it will come from England. Will there be any issues with the factory ammo offerings clambering? With this 308 barrel I will have now, will I be able to treat it like a prefit and screw it into my AE2. I did read it was possible, is there anything I need to watch when I do this.
Thanks for the reply's

A 6.5 Creedmoor barrel coming from England should be CIP standards. That means they're proofed with over pressure loads. England does still use the proof house at the Tower of London standards for firearm chambers. As far as freebore the CIP standard chamber should have a slightly longer freebore than it's SAAMI variant, very negligible difference.(5.4mm) The barrels should interchange, confirm the threads are the same length and that a cartridge or headspace gauge protrude relatively the same from the chamber mouth.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Hi all,
I finally brought an AX in 308. My plan is to swap out the 308 barrel with an AI prefit in 6.5cm. My first question is does anyone know what the freebore is with the AI factory prefit barrels? I live in Australia so I assume it will come from England. Will there be any issues with the factory ammo offerings clambering? With this 308 barrel I will have now, will I be able to treat it like a prefit and screw it into my AE2. I did read it was possible, is there anything I need to watch when I do this.
Thanks for the reply's
Your 308 AX barrel will fit your AE MKII but the AE barrel won't fit the AX/AT AW etc due a portion of the tenon on the AE barrel having no threads because of the recoil lug. I have both rifles and no problems there putting the AX barrel on the AE. Obviously when installing the AX barrel on the AE you need to remove the action from the chassis and also require barrel vise, action wrench and foot lbs torque wrench.