• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Accuracy International AX50 BMG, 375 Cheytac and suppressors

bithead007

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2021
Colorado
Hello I have an AI AXSR with a few barrel/bolt combos (and a TB 338 Ultra SR) and recently bought the new AI AX50 BMG and can't wait to take it out. I wanted to pick up a suppressor for it on efile and was looking at the AWC and also Elite Iron. Looking for any experiences good and bad with any suppressors at this caliber. My ultimate goal with the AX50 (besides accuracy of 50 BMG) is to get a 375 Cheytac on it for ELR (and a different suppressor). I bought AX50 BMG because it fell in my lap and I couldn't say no since I knew the 375/416 Cheytac would be coming for it someday.

Thanks for any help, CJ

Haven’t used the 50 cal version but I’m a huge fan of elite iron cans
Have the the WindTalker SD in 416 cal
And ordered the new asset375 cal can a few months back on efile should be in anytime from what I’ve seen that’s the best 375 you can buy
I would expect their 50 cal can would be top quality as well

I talked with AI at shoot show this year and I still don't think the get the whole ELR thing. They said that when the offer the AI AX 50 ELR in 375ct the barrel that would come with it would a 27 in 1-10 twist. That barrel would only be good for 350 gr or less bullets. I currently shoot a Cadex shadow 375ct with a 34in 1-7 twist Bartlein barrel using 400gr cutting edge bullets.

377gr Cutting Edge MTAC’s work fine in a 1 in 10” twist barrel. As do Lehigh Defence 353gr Match Solids (142.5gr RE50, producing 3,100fps from Voere X5 with 36” Lothar Walther barrel).

Agreed re Accuracy International’s possible lack of understanding of ELR. Their AX50 ELR is listed as having a 27” 1 in 12” twist barrel for their 375 Cheytac option.
Although unsuitable for ELR, it may well be more suited for their military customers who will probably be running lead core projectiles (300gr SMK’s or similar).

This is a U.K. perspective where hardware/components choice and availability is very limited.

Currently I have a Cadex 408 CT and with the Elite Iron suppressor it’s manageable for both recoil and sound. Just received the Cadex Tremor 50 and am waiting on the new KGM Tech suppressor to arrive. I’m familiar with recoil from previous experience with an AR50 and the blast off the brake is worse than the recoil. I was looking at the Elite Iron for the 50 but decided to give the KGM a try as it weighs about half (Ti vs SS).

Currently I have a Cadex 408 CT and with the Elite Iron suppressor it’s manageable for both recoil and sound. Just received the Cadex Tremor 50 and am waiting on the new KGM Tech suppressor to arrive. I’m familiar with recoil from previous experience with an AR50 and the blast off the brake is worse than the recoil. I was looking at the Elite Iron for the 50 but decided to give the KGM a try as it weighs about half (Ti vs SS).

Report in and let us know the first time you do a 10 round string of shots with your suppressed .50 BMG

Not saying the suppressor works as well as a brake, just saying the concussion off the brake feels like getting punched in the face by a boxing glove.

Reactions: TripleBull
the AR50 brake is a dream come true if it's several feet in front of you. Goggles and ear pro as standard practice, and off of the ground/dirt/sand if possible.

you will need neck surgery a decade later if you have a good cheek weld and shoot a 27# 50 BMG with a suppressor at any substantial round count above "test firing" and showing off to your friends. So make sure you have good health insurance LOL

Just what is the purpose of a suppressed 50 BMG rifle again? I forget. Cuz my brain has been rattled too much

And before somebody beats me to it, I can't wait for the 300 pounder to chime in and say he can shoot a 25# suppressed 50 BMG all day like it's a Daisy BB gun. Pussies, all the rest.

But few are those men who have thousands of rounds under their belt and make such claims. Unless they don't know any better.

Shoot a 40rd match with a rifle like that 😂 or even a braked 27lb 50 with more than just 650gr ball ammo…I’ve seen enough guys try it and regret it to know that I don’t need to try it.

We shoot suppressed 375s at 30lb and that’s fine. Stepping up to even just the 460 and you’re really taking notice, and that with 630gr bullets going 3200. Now do that with a 800gr bullet.

And before somebody beats me to it, I can't wait for the 300 pounder to chime in and say he can shoot a 25# suppressed 50 BMG all day like it's a Daisy BB gun. Pussies, all the rest.

But few are those men who have thousands of rounds under their belt and make such claims. Unless they don't know any better.
Y'all are a bunch of girls. I shoot my AIAX (27lbs empty) with 750gr AMAXs every weekend. I usually shoot 200 rounds in a day, and I shoot both Saturday and Sunday. I always shoot 25% unsupported standing, 25% from kneeling, 25% sitting and 25% from the bench. I do best from the sitting position . . . I can keep hits within 1/2 minute at 1,000 sitting.

I never shoot with shooting glasses and rarely use ear pro, either. If you tilt your head the right direction, most of the sound goes right past your ears . . . you just have to know what you're doing. Am I the only one who knows this? The AI factory brake makes it really easy to avoid having to hear the blast because it directs sound to the side.

Sometimes I have friends come and shoot with me (everyone always wants to shoot 50BMG, like it's a big deal). Before I let them shoot, I usually have them shoot a couple of pellets out of my .22 Edgun Lelya PCP Airgun, and then I assure them that the 50 will not be much different in terms of recoil. I've had over 50 people come out and they all agree. Some say there's a *little* more push, but just a little bit. Some of them do wear ear protection because they don't trust what I'm telling them about the direction of the sound waves going to the side. Pussies . . .the lot of them.

How'd I do? I personally liked the "tilt your head the right direction" bit . . . but no one thinks I'm funnier than I do. Thread's a little old, but I though I'd revive it in light of the (apparent) dawn of the TBAC 50 Cal can.

Last edited:
for a minute I thought you were serious (maybe you are?) and I was just going to admit I'm a pussy

Good Lord, you mean this? Just under 2 feet and 5 pounds, but over $5000? Every time I think of it, I realize suppressing a 50 BMG is just not worthwhile outside of "specialized missions". Otherwise all that is to keep you from wearing $.50 of earplugs. Seriously what is the point?

for a minute I thought you were serious (maybe you are?) and I was just going to admit I'm a pussy

Shoot, I try to triple up my ear protection. I have a [certain well-known (formerly?) American rifle manufacturer] who was torture testing a well-known bolt action rifle about 20 yards from where I was shooting for about 6 hours one Sunday some time ago to thank for the ringing that continues in my ears. I'm still pissed about it, because they weren't supposed to be using the range for commercial purposes. Hmmmm, now that they're under new -foreign - ownership, maybe I should make a claim against them :)

I'll quit shooting if someone arrives and sits on the bench next to me with their 19-chamber (or whatever) brake. I'm somewhere between pussy and cranky old man trapped in a young man's body.

Reactions: secondofangle2
back to the OP - it looks like TBAC has finally achieved the goal of effective suppression and recoil reduction for a 50 BMG. so you now have the answer to your original question

For me the costs in length, weight, and dollars just outweigh the benefits.

Barrett had their version of a suppressor with a brake for the M107-A1 and it was usually going for around $3k

Reactions: Geno C.
back to the OP - it looks like TBAC has finally achieved the goal of effective suppression and recoil reduction for a 50 BMG. so you now have the answer to your original question

For me the costs in length, weight, and dollars just outweigh the benefits.
All that length isn’t necessary. Neither is the brake. Now, the length does make it quieter and the brake does reduce recoil, but they’re not necessary and that’s why it’s modular

Does it have to be from prone or can we say, thank God for a 'Tripod'? :)
th

Reactions: secondofangle2