• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE barrel and break

thorstenson1030

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2014
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Shooting bench and prone out to 1000yds even trying F-CLASS.
20", 24" barrel with or without break. Do I really need a break?
On a budget so anything I save on the rifle goes to better optics.
But having said that I will only have $600-$700 for scope then save for next season.
Thinking about Atlas tripod with spigot.

I've been asking allot of questions going back and forth on rifles but decided on Fixed AT.
Thanks for all the help...big decisions and want as much knowledge as I can.

Shooting bench and prone out to 1000yds even trying F-CLASS.
20", 24" barrel with or without break. Do I really need a break?
On a budget so anything I save on the rifle goes to better optics.
But having said that I will only have $600-$700 for scope then save for next season.
Thinking about Atlas tripod with spigot.

I've been asking allot of questions going back and forth on rifles but decided on Fixed AT.
Thanks for all the help...big decisions and want as much knowledge as I can.

You can't use a brake in f class. It's against he rules. You might find a club that will let it slide, but you're just as likely to run into an old guy who would sooner die than allow a brake on the line.

You don't need a brake for 308, but using a brake would help you spot your shots better by taming the recoil a little . One downside is If you shoot with other people a brake will piss off everyone else next to you. If you plan on running a suppresor later well your muzzle threaded for a brake would be convenient.

It's brake, will you even be allowed to run a brake in the classes that you are planning on shooting? A brake is more of a convenience thing, to me it'd be better to have the barrel threaded when you order it. What caliber?

If you only have 6-700 for a scope ..skip the atlas get a Harris w swivel and pod lock.Atlas later

I did it I ordered my AT fixed 24" with break. No plain barrel so got great price and can take break of if I shoot F class.
Got Atlas tripod as well.
Thanks Jason at Euro Optic's

Norfolk County Rifle Range

Will have a 1K match in August along with a Vintage Sniper @ 300/600. Not sure which will be a.m. or p.m. yet. You can shoot a musket if you want. The 1k really isn't F class, you use whatever again. But once you use a rest, you are in match or unlimited. Some sling up with scopes, irons, etc. You will see full on F class and match rigs there. I'm shooting the lowly .308 24" with brake AI. You can email from the sight to contact the match director and need to supply certain information to get onto Academi's property. I meant to add that you can also shoot the regular HP matches with a match bolt gun as well. I've seen someone do it with a AX, prone though in all positions.

Last edited: