• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Bolt face damage

tip2oo3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
SE Ohio
Pictures of my AI AE MK2 boltface. I bought the rifle used with around 200 rounds originally and I've added around 400 since I bought it two months ago. I don't shoot any hot loads and have never popped a primer or seen any signs of over-pressure. The bolt will be on it's way to get fixed, I just thought I would share and see what you guys think.

Re: AI AE Bolt face damage

Hard to believe it's only had 600rds through it. Primers must have been leaking like a sieve and were they corrosive? Seems like not only gas pitting but also corrosion.

Here's my list of what it's been fed
1- Hornday TAP 168 AMAX
2- Hornady or win case 44gr. Varget WLR Primers 168 Amax
3- Hornady or Win case 44.4gr Varget WLR PRimers 178 AMax
4- R-P, LC case 10.2gr TRailboss WLR primer 180 RN

Also the only cleaning product used was Hoppe's #9

Sure looks like gas blow-by around the primer....

It could also be that when the bolt was made they
stressed it when they broached the firing pin hole
in the bolt.

Loose primer pockets?

Dave

Holy crap! What the?!?! Is the metal in that ring gone? Or is the ring buildup? It looks sunken, but I could be mistaken.

Either way, that's terrible!

Haven't had any loose primer pockets and haven't popped any primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap! What the?!?! Is the metal in that ring gone? Or is the ring buildup? It looks sunken, but I could be mistaken.

Either way, that's terrible! </div></div>

It's gone

What did it look like when you bought it? There is no way you would not have been able to see evidence of gas blow by, like this, if you looked at the caseheads. There would be obvious signs.

Wow, that does look like serious corrosion to me. Do you know who sold you that rifle? Did that person leave a zero off the end of the round count, i.e. "2000" instead of "200"? Still, I've put 2000 rounds through a lot of rifles and have never had the problem you're looking at. Keep this thread going about what the culprit is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that does look like serious corrosion to me. Do you know who sold you that rifle? Did that person leave a zero off the end of the round count, i.e. "2000" instead of "200"? Still, I've put 2000 rounds through a lot of rifles and have never had the problem you're looking at. Keep this thread going about what the culprit is. </div></div>
Yes I know who I bought the rifle off of and were all good, I honestly can't remember what the bolt head looked like when I got the rifle. I've just been enjoying it and shooting it. Still I would think that I shouldve seen some popped primers or something to indicate I had a problem to this degree.

that is the worst bolt face I ever seen no matter who or what did it and how.

What kind of evidence would you see from the primers to cause damage like that? I reload and have got about 8 firings through my cases right now. I haven't seen an problems with my loads so far but those pictures make me not want to use my cases as many times.

Gonna check my AE when I get home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is the worst bolt face I ever seen no matter who or what did it and how. </div></div>

Agreed. I've seen my fair share of old Mausers, Mosin Nagants, Lee Enfields etc.. that fired corrosive ammo through the losing end a world war or two and I've never once seen one that bad.

I have a similar problem with my Remmington long action in 30-338 and I can tell you that the damage to your bolt face is caused by loose fitting primers
7262867672_cc6729355f_b.jpg

the centre and left cases show erosion round the primer the case on the right is OK
7262864070_24aefedb11_b.jpg

with the damage caused to the bolt face.
You also will see when you decap the cases that the sides of the primer pocket is black. Thankfully I noticed the damage to my bolt face sooner than yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogger2UK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a similar problem with my Remmington long action in 30-338 and I can tell you that the damage to your bolt face is caused by loose fitting primers
7262867672_cc6729355f_b.jpg

the centre and left cases show erosion round the primer the case on the right is OK
7262864070_24aefedb11_b.jpg

with the damage caused to the bolt face.
You also will see when you decap the cases that the sides of the primer pocket is black. Thankfully I noticed the damage to my bolt face sooner than yourself. </div></div>

This one is an easy fix, just bush the FP. The AE will need a new bolt head--likewise easy....just more $$$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one is an easy fix, just bush the FP. The AE will need a new bolt head--likewise easy....just more $$$ </div></div>

The firing pin had nothing to do with the gas leakage, and the bolt face erosion poses no safety issue although it does look ugly. This is strictly an ammunition issue almost certainly involving handloads.

Dogger2UK is correct that this is the result of gas leakage around the primer pockets. The usual culprit too many reloadings and/or loading to excessive pressure. Hardness of the cartridge case can also be a contributing factor. While reloading dies will resize the case body, they can't restore the primer pocket to original tolerances, and when pockets begin to get loose, the case should be discarded. For those not well versed in reloading, factory ammunition is the best option.

Regards,

Scott
VP
AINA

Thanks for the help guys. Bolt is on it's way back to AI and I'm scrapping a crap ton of brass and primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottSeigmund</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one is an easy fix, just bush the FP. The AE will need a new bolt head--likewise easy....just more $$$ </div></div>

The firing pin had nothing to do with the gas leakage, and the bolt face erosion poses no safety issue although it does look ugly. This is strictly an ammunition issue almost certainly involving handloads.

</div></div>

Understood Scott, but in bushing the FP of the remington, the rifle to which that comment was addressed, you will remove the portion of the bolt face that has eroded. My suggestion fixes the damage, not the cause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottSeigmund</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one is an easy fix, just bush the FP. The AE will need a new bolt head--likewise easy....just more $$$ </div></div>

</div></div>

Understood Scott, but in bushing the FP of the remington, the rifle to which that comment was addressed, you will remove the portion of the bolt face that has eroded. My suggestion fixes the damage, not the cause.</div></div>

You are absolutely correct. However, AI cannot endorse that method of repair.

r/s

OP thank you for making this thread. You may have saved me the same fate. Thank you Scott for your info. I may be dumping a crapload of brass too.

Dogger, thanks for the photos. I know what to look for now.

I had the same thing happen years ago to a Husqvarna bolt gun in .270. Since then I keep an eye on how much resistance I feel when seating primers.

Sorry to highjack this thread but I checked my bolt face and there is a black ring around the the firing pin hole. No pitting. Is this black ring signs of the primers leaking. My brass doesn't show any signs of erosion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to highjack this thread but I checked my bolt face and there is a black ring around the the firing pin hole. No pitting. Is this black ring signs of the primers leaking. My brass doesn't show any signs of erosion.
</div></div>

Not likely. Without pictures it's hard to tell, however, I would venture to guess that the black ring you see is the original finish put on the bolt from the factory. Because nothing touches this area of the bolt (there is a small radius on the edge of the primers that goes back into the pocket), there is less finish wear.

edit: I should add, that is normal.

This is what my bolt face looks like. Its blurry but you get the idea. There is no carbon or soot around the edges of the primers or casehead.

100_2166.jpg

What do you all think?

Not clear enough :p

If it's just black and not pitted you're fine. If it's lightly pitted it's not a huge deal, but if it turns gross like the OP's, you should look into replacing it.

From what I see there, it appears to be fine, but a cleaner pic would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what my bolt face looks like. Its blurry but you get the idea. There is no carbon or soot around the edges of the primers or casehead.

100_2166.jpg

What do you all think? </div></div>

Your fine.

Thank you all for posting. Makes me feel better. There is no pitting and no soot around the primers. I will pay more attention to this now.