• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE MK III 6.5 CM

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If I order a brand new AI AE MKIII in 6.5 Creedmoor will it come with a miss timed AINA marked barrel or will they perfectly fit a barrel with correctly timed caliber and AINA markings?

I dont have a problem with the replacement barrels and would love to have one, but my club has a varmint class requiring factory original barrels and they might give me a hard time about a barrel with miss timed markings being a factory original barrel.

Re: AI AE MK III 6.5 CM

I bet if you ask them to make sure it's lined up they will square you away. When I dealt with Mile High they were awesome about getting me exactly what I wanted.

The only way to ensure the marks are timed correctly is to send the receiver in.

If you just order up a barrel the marks will fall where they may. For most of us the convenience of just ordering a barrel is greater than the worry about where the marks fall. Remember, these barrels are disposable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet if you ask them to make sure it's lined up they will square you away. When I dealt with Mile High they were awesome about getting me exactly what I wanted. </div></div>

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only way to ensure the marks are timed correctly is to send the receiver in. </div></div>

You're correct. The threads in the actions are not timed the same action to action. I'm engraving barrels for AINA right now. I'm looking into engraving the barrels radially at the muzzle but the equipment is very expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only way to ensure the marks are timed correctly is to send the receiver in.

If you just order up a barrel the marks will fall where they may. For most of us the convenience of just ordering a barrel is greater than the worry about where the marks fall. Remember, these barrels are disposable. </div></div>

If you read a little closer you will see that I am inquiring about a complete rifle, not a replacement barrel. I am aware that for 6.5CM they use barrels chambered & marked here in the US and install them on actions made in England.

You thew me because the AINA markings are on the receiver, not the barrel.

The markings on the barrel are the cartridge it's chambered for.

From what Dave posted above, it sounds like he is marking the barrels before they go out. If that is the case, then it's the luck of the draw since each barrel would need to be installed, then marked for the marks to come out at a predetermined location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only way to ensure the marks are timed correctly is to send the receiver in. </div></div>

You're correct. The threads in the actions are not timed the same action to action. I'm engraving barrels for AINA right now. I'm looking into engraving the barrels radially at the muzzle but the equipment is very expensive. </div></div>

Thanks Dave. I really want one of your barrels but due to the classification issue I indicated it would make my life easier if AINA could provide a complete rifle with correctly timed markings.

Could be way off the mark here but wouldn't explaining that you removed the barrell for cleaning or something clear up any confusion? You aren't intentionally breaking the rules it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be way off the mark here but wouldn't explaining that you removed the barrell for cleaning or something clear up any confusion? You aren't intentionally breaking the rules it seems. </div></div>

No dice.

Reinstalling a barrel does not change the index of the marks more than a hair one way or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You thew me because the AINA markings are on the receiver, not the barrel.

From what Dave posted above, it sounds like he is marking the barrels before they go out. If that is the case, then it's the luck of the draw since each barrel would need to be installed, then marked for the marks to come out at a predetermined location. </div></div>

Interesting. That is not what I was told. I was told the barrels were marked AINA and the caliber. I know you just got a replacemnt barrel for your AE but that is not a Tooley AINA barrel. mile Hi has those made by someone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So according to your club, if you burn out a barrel you have to get a new rifle? </div></div>

Yes, if you want to shoot it in the varmint class. You can re barrel but you are boosted to open class

OP, would it not be counterproductive to choose your equipment based on the potential ignorance of the people at your shooting club?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told the barrels were marked AINA and the caliber. I know you just got a replacemnt barrel for your AE but that is not a Tooley AINA barrel. mile Hi has those made by someone else. </div></div>

It is of course possible that AINA is marking them differently now than when I got my MkII. I know there was some concern about barrel sources since AINA can't control the quality of barrels they did not spec. Maybe their solution is to now mark the barrels.

I will be interested to see if the next AI that shows up here still has the importer mark on the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So according to your club, if you burn out a barrel you have to get a new rifle? </div></div>

Yes, if you want to shoot it in the varmint class. You can re barrel but you are boosted to open class </div></div>

What an asinine rule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be way off the mark here but wouldn't explaining that you removed the barrell for cleaning or something clear up any confusion? You aren't intentionally breaking the rules it seems. </div></div>

You are right. I am not trying to cheat, but some of the match directors have never seen an AI and when they see a miss timed barrel and possibly not evenmarked with AINA then Iwould have a lot of "splaining" to do!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, would it not be counterproductive to choose your equipment based on the potential ignorance of the people at your shooting club? </div></div>

This is a hobby for me. I shoot my AI because I like it so much, check that, loveit so much. I would shoot it in the open class and still enjoy myself, but why not give myself an advantage if possible?

Sounds like your club has some pretty vague rules.

What is considered a "factory" rifle for their specification. Because if they are going to nitpick, having AINA (an importer) replace the barrel that came from Accuracy International Ltd. may not be a "factory" barrel either. The barrel most certainly wasn't made, chambered or installed by the "factory". It was made by a custom shop and installed by an importer. Really no different than if I send a M700 to GAP to have them install a custom barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So according to your club, if you burn out a barrel you have to get a new rifle? </div></div>

Yes, if you want to shoot it in the varmint class. You can re barrel but you are boosted to open class </div></div>

What an asinine rule. </div></div>

The rules do have flaws. I canuse an AI with a Bartlein barrel chambered by Dave Tooley against a Savage or Rem 700 with factory barrel. The matchis notperfect. But it is relatively close and I enjoy shooting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like your club has some pretty vague rules.

What is considered a "factory" rifle for their specification. Because if they are going to nitpick, having AINA (an importer) replace the barrel that came from Accuracy International Ltd. may not be a "factory" barrel either. The barrel most certainly wasn't made, chambered or installed by the "factory". It was made by a custom shop and installed by an importer. Really no different than if I send a M700 to GAP to have them install a custom barrel. </div></div>

I guess the difference is that AI putsthe barrel on, and they spec it as suitable for sale to the public. Remington does not offer a "GAP" option, so.....

Itis kind of vague, but we arenot shooting for money, just for enjoyment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You thew me because the AINA markings are on the receiver, not the barrel.

From what Dave posted above, it sounds like he is marking the barrels before they go out. If that is the case, then it's the luck of the draw since each barrel would need to be installed, then marked for the marks to come out at a predetermined location. </div></div>

All new receivers are marked AINA, Fredericksburg, VA as the importer. Bartlein/Tooley barrels from AINA are marked AINA + the caliber in two places 180 degrees apart approxamately 3" in front of the receiver. That I do here in the shop. Barrels installed on receivers in the UK will have the proof marks and caliber just above the stock line on the right side of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Itis kind of vague, but we arenot shooting for money, just for enjoyment </div></div>

If it's just for enjoyment, then why so stringent on the vague rules?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but really if it's supposed to be for "fun" then why implement a rule that prevents folks from re barreling a rifle when it's burned out...which is what the rest of the compeditive shooting world does. You will notice that to shoot in something like a John C. Garand match, I don't have to shoot an arsenal barel, or one from Springfield, Winchester, etc. I can shoot a Criterion barrel, just not a Krieger.

In our local tactical matches, we shoot for "fun". There is no money, just bragging rights. We run "open" and set the difficultly of the match by the design of the stages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All new receivers are marked AINA, Fredericksburg, VA as the importer. Bartlein/Tooley barrels from AINA are marked AINA + the caliber in two places 180 degrees apart approxamately 3" in front of the receiver. That I do here in the shop. Barrels installed on receivers in the UK will have the proof marks and caliber just above the stock line on the right side of the barrel. </div></div>

Thanks for clearing that up. I only have my factory AI barrel and the new Mile High barrel for comparison. The "Tooley" .243 barrel I have was fluted and marked "Tooley Custom Rifles" so I am pretty sure it wasn't a AINA barrel.