• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Mk III Question

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
So I pulled my AI rail off my AE today to put on a 20 moa Murphy rail. Under the factory rail were extra drilled and threaded holes that were not being used. Not sure for what, but there is another hole that is not threaded and with a recessed plug between the 2nd and 3rd threaded holes (from the muzzle) end. Just curious what it's for if anybody knows. Thanks.

The extra threaded holes provide two locations to mount the scope rail; one location rear, one location forward. Depending on your scope, eye relief, and mounting solution one rail location may work better than the other.

The extra threaded holes provide two locations to mount the scope rail; one location rear, one location forward. Depending on your scope, eye relief, and mounting solution one rail location may work better than the other.

I kind of figured that. Thanks for the response.

The more I think about it, why would a "breaching ring" be mounted back on/under the rail?

The lock ring that your bolt head fits into is a replaceable part on the AI actions. It's pinned into the reciever, and you're seeing one of the pins under the scope base.

Ah, ok. When I think "breaching" I've got door kicker in my mind, and I'm thinking that's not an AI's strong suit.